Wolfetone Dr. Vintage vs. Duncan Antiquities

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by tfunster, Oct 12, 2008.

1. tfunster

tfunster Gold Supporting Member

I'm looking for a replacement set of 'buckers for my Heritage H535. Right now I have Wolfetone Marshallheads, and while they sound good, they are a little hot sounding-- the neck pickup is a bit too thick and soft/mushy on the low strings, and the bridge is a little too bright/flat sounding (although it does sound great with distortion).

Was thinking of replacing them with either the Dr. V's or Antiquities. I've heard good things about both. The Ant's have a slightly hotter bridge which might work better for me because I do play with some medium gain sometimes.

Does anyone have experience with both these pup's? Is one of them tighter/more articulate on the bass than the other?

Thanks!!

2. mockoman

mockoman Member

The Dr V's are brighter than the Marshallheads. A touch less mid,too.
    For me, they worked great in the neck position,but,too bright in the bridge.

If the MH is already too bright for you in the bridge,the Dr V may not work for you.

No experiance with the Ants.

3. Sean French

Sean French Supporting Member

I've had both in the same LP.
    While the Ants are a very good pickup I persoanlly found them to sound a bit dull.It could be the weak magnets.
    The Dr. V's have wonderfull clarity and I don't find them too bright at all.
    You'll only know which would work better for you and your guitar when you have had both sets in there.

4. soldano16

soldano16 Member

How do you squeeze them in?

5. tfunster

Stack em on top of each other, duh. :p

6. sanhozay

sanhozay klon free since 2009

The Ants & Wolfe's Dr. Vintage are pretty similiar. I think the Anitiquity bridge sounds softer and doesn't sizzle quite the way the V's do. I think the V's are louder and need more volume to compress and are overall sound brighter or clearer sounding. They are very nice pickups; I like them both the same! I was checking out hums a few months ago and considered both the Wolfetone Dr. Vintage & Duncan Antiquities but settled on a set of Skatterbrane A2 pickups. Check out his site, lots of sound samples.

7. Jazzydave

Jazzydave Seeker Silver Supporting Member

Heritage HRWs!!! If you can find a set...they are the perfect match for the 535s. The one I just got has the SD Seth Lovers in it that sound nice as well - not as nice as the HRWs though!

8. tfunster

I've heard great things about the HRW's, but I believe they only sell them equipped in their guitars and that you can't get them separately.

I'm curious they, are they PAF flavored or something different, and if so, could you describe them?
    Thanks!

9. whaiyun

whaiyun Member

bump. deciding between buying a used Antiquity bridge or a new Wolfetone DrV bridge. Comments?

10. Summa

Summa Silver Supporting Member

Every guitar will sound different with the same set installed. I bought a set of Dr. V's for a R9 but found they were better in my R8.

Wolfe will work with you to find the right sound, right tone. Will Wolfetones cure all ill's? No. But Wolfe will work with the customer to ensure they're happy and satisfied.

Best to ya!!

11. rwijaya

rwijaya Supporting Member

antiquity will sound brighter, less beefier. The dr.V will have a little more beef to the overall tone and the high is not as pointy as the antiquity. The dr.V has more low mids compare to the antiquity where it has more high mid.

I love them both, can't go wrong with both set.

12. rwijaya

I love the dr.Vintage Bridge pickup. probably the best humbucker bridge pickup i have ever played. very vintage sounding with out the mid honk and can push the amp just fine for medium overdrive.

13. whaiyun

whaiyun Member

I found a used antiquity for $75 but the wolfetone i'd hafta buy new - $135 and shipping...

=P so its almost double the price!

14. tdarian

tdarian Gold Supporting Member

I played two guitars on Saturday (a Gustavson Bluesmaster and a Briggs) and both of these rediculously great guitars were equipped with Wolfetone Legends. I was impressed, and suprised nobody else has mentioned them in this thread. I believe when I was checking the Wolfetone site that the Legends and Dr V share alot in common with each other, particularly in the neck, but the Bridge of the Legend set appeared on paper to be slightly hotter, but still in PAFland.

Any thoughts? They sure sounded impressive in these impressive guitars!

15. rwijaya

oh, if its way above your budget, i would suggest get the cheaper one.

you forget to mention that money is an issue. I wouldn't recommend any boutique builder if money is an issue ;)

16. whaiyun

whaiyun Member

Well money isn't the issue, it's more so, bang for buck and how much quality am i getting for the extra $70 or so =P

Also, if the Antiquity isn't gonna sound like what I need, then I won't get it either.

Haha. I need a better comparison website of all these PAFs =(

17. rwijaya

just give it a shot on the dr.v bridge, to my bad ears the dr.v sound more beefier and more fatter that the antiquity, it makes the antiquity sounds thin and bright.

YMMV

18. tdarian

tdarian Gold Supporting Member

I think I've reached the conclusion that the specs/clips of the pickups help get you to where you want to get, and so do the anecdotal experiences of others. However, "tone" is going to be how you, your strings, your pickups, your guitar, other electronics, and very importantly your amp all interact to form a circuit. Note that there are many variables in this "equation", and that some of them are 100% unique. So you can indeed get to "educated guesses" that likely will get you into the target zone, but until you put a set of pickups in YOUR EXACT GUITAR, and You play it through YOUR EXACT AMP(s), you will not know if your hit a bullseye.

I like that Wolfe will keep at it until you are satisfied.

Regarding PAFs: As I understand it, they were not exactly the model of consistency. Alot of "PAF makers" keep to this tradition, so there is going to be sample to sample variance. So the PAF type you hear in a clip my not sound the same in your guitar...could be alot different.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2011
  19. whaiyun

whaiyun Member

Actually, the clips are a way to compare pickups relative to one another. I do not expect it to sound the same on my rig.

20. dougk

dougk Silver Supporting Member

Call Wolfe. Honestly.

Sounds like you want a DR V'esque neck and maybe a hot legend bridge.