Wolfetone Dr. V's too aggressive?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Passenger84, May 11, 2008.

1. Passenger84

Passenger84 Member

I have a custom Les Paul style guitar with Wolfetone Dr. V's in it. While they're killer sounding pickups, I think I'm looking for a warmer, rounder tone, with a bit less of an aggressive sound. Has anyone else felt the same about the Dr. V's, and if so, what did you change them out for?

By the way, I have Lollar Blondes in my strat and love them, so I'm thinking about trying the Lollar Imperials.

Thanks in advance for any help, and just for the record, the V's are great sounding pickups, I think my needs are just different right now. :)

2. rockinlespaul

rockinlespaul Member

Sounds like you need some of Wolfe's Legends.

3. mockoman

mockoman Member

I thought the Dr V's were a touch too bright for my guitar & taste,and switched to Marshallheads.
    A little less high end, and a bit more mids,
    but still the clarity that I wanted.

4. Sean French

Sean French Supporting Member

Too aggressive?
    No.
    Unless ones guitar is an aggressive sounding guitar(acoustically)to begin with.
    Clear,articulate,plenty of sizzle with great honkin' mids and bloom.
    Yes.
    Both my main Historics are fitted with Dr. V's.
    However,I prefer a brighter tone that's truer to vintage characteristics.
    Some may prefer a fatter rounder tone with less articulation.
    I would recommend giving Wolfe a call and let him know exactly what you're after.
    Also,let him know the acoustic characteristics of said guitar.
    He will nail the tone you want.

5. Matt F

Matt F Member

I have owned tons of boutique pickups over the years. Having said that I have never owned a set of pickups that sound as "perfect" as the Legends in my Les Paul.

Have you attempted to adjust the height of the pickups and or slug screws yet?

6. TNJ

TNJ Gold Supporting Member

Either of these steps should get you there:
    1)Call Wolfe, and give him your laundry list on pup tone/guitar specs.
    2)Try a set of Duncan Antiquity Humbuckers.

S.
    j

7. dewman

dewman Gold Supporting Member

8. Drowned Rabbit

Drowned Rabbit Black Beauty Beats Burst

Definitely call Wolfe, that's what I did.
    If one of his PUPs isn't exactly what you
    are looking for, he'll wind you one that is.

9. Passenger84

Passenger84 Member

Thanks for all the info, guys. Especially the smooth PAF clone thread. Looks like I'll call Wolfetone tomorrow. :)

10. Oakley

Oakley Silver Supporting Member

This is interesting. I have my second set of Antiquities in my 335. I missed the set I sold enough to go get another set.

But I'd love to try the Dr. Vs. Let me know if you'd like to trade! ;)

11. DrGonzo

DrGonzo Gold Supporting Member

I've never thought of the Dr V's as aggressive?!? They are very PAF-like and vintage-y to me...anything but aggressive. I'd give Wolfe a call and see what he has to say.

12. go7

go7 Member

I have Dr. V`s in my LP. Sweet,smooth and articulate.BTW my buddy liked the tone of the Dr. V`s so much he put a set in his 97 LP.It was a bright sounding guitar,he put Lollar imperials in. No pickup would take the biting edge off his guitar.It was simply the wood and no pickup swap could get rid of that tone.The wood was simply bright and nasally. He eventually sold the guitar. Good luck.

13. frisco kid

frisco kid Member

Plus one on this assessment. I have a pair of Dr V's in a Johnny A. and their tone is not what I'd call aggressive....clear, articulate with great string separation but certainly not 'hot'.

14. Burst59

Burst59 Member

Wow that is the opposite for me, I just put in my new Dr.V's last night and they are smooth and creamy, best pickup I've tried so far. Maybe it's your guitar? My Les Paul is acoustically incredible I just need a pickup that wont interfere with that. I was amazed at the difference between the Burstbuckers they replaced, before that I had some WCR's in there that I did not like at all.
    But the V's are it for me I'm very happy with them. I don't get the aggressive thing but my setup is different.

15. fast ricky love

fast ricky love Supporting Member

Dr V's can be bright in my experience, even a tad thin. Go with Wolfe's Legends or Marshallheads w/A2 magnets.

16. Ironman

Ironman Member

I've had Marshallheads and Dr.V's in my R8. I still have the Dr.V's. Both are awesome, actually they were very similar tonally. I found the Dr.V's to be slightly sweeter and creamier. Probably the Alnico II mags vs. Alnico V's of the Marshallheads. Both share the same wind pattern which would explain the similarity. I went with the Dr.V's due to their more vintage output which is plenty for my R8. I feel I get more of the fundamental tone of the guitar with the Dr.V's. If I wanted a hotter PAF I'd be all over the Marshallheads. I'd say both are very natural sounding pups without injecting a huge freq. response. If you're guitar is naturally bright they'll probably transfer that tone electronically.

17. the_Chris

the_Chris It's All Been Done Before Gold Supporting Member

Yep, for hotter PAF type sounds, it's hard to go wrong with the Marshallheads. I have one PRS McCarty that is a bit darker of a guitar and that A5 Marshallhead set makes it really come to life. I also have another McCarty that's a bit on the brighter side and I'm looking forward to placing an order for some A2 Marshallheads. I've played some other well known designer pickups here and for my tastes Wolfe winds them right :)

18. the_Chris

the_Chris It's All Been Done Before Gold Supporting Member

Not to make fun of your buddy, but if the wood is brighter and "nasally", your buddy's last pick should be the Lollar Imperials. The Imperials were rather brighter, vintage PAF sounding pickups; I can imagine them being absolutely painful in a bright guitar. Your friend should have opted for something really dark and hot like the Rio Grande BBQ/Texas set (which would smoothen out that bright tone real quick) or Gibson Classic '57s (which happen to work great in fattening up thinner guitars like SGs as well).

19. Caretaker

Caretaker Silver Supporting Member Supporting Member

I`ve never found them aggresive. Maybe you have A5 mags and you need A2s? Maybe the wrong caps? Maybe try tamer pots? Wolfe makes aggresive pickups(Fenris, Marshallheads and Caretakers(slightly) but Dr V sets have always been very vintage PAF sounding to my ears.

20. Deuce007

Deuce007 Member

I have Dr.Vs and Marshallheads, both are great pups, but if your looking for something a bit fatter and not as hot sounding as the Marshallheads check out RS Tru 60s, they are made for RS by Fralin, nice and fat clean tones