Wolfetone question

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by martt83, Mar 4, 2008.

1. martt83

martt83 Member

I have read so many great things about these pickups that I am seriously tempted to order a set of Dr Vintage or Grey Wolfes. I have a Q though. How historically accurate are these construction wise as per the Seth Lover design? i.e. does Wolfe use maple spacers etc. I am just curious.

Also has anyone compared the Dr Vintage with the Grey Wolfe set with Alnico 2?

Thanks.

2. plexirocker 68

plexirocker 68 Member

E-mail Wolfe and he'll answer your questions. I own several sets and have never opened them up to check.

Dr.V's are much better than the Seth's IMO. I find the seth's a little "flat" sounding. Wolfes pickups just sound much closer to the real deal PAF's and are more articulate.

plexi

3. hardys

hardys Member

Don Mare winds single coils and makes some of the best Tele pickups known. This is something interesting I read from his website about Duncan humbuckers.

We highly suggest for all your Vintage Humbucker needs you BUY SEYMOUR DUNCAN: Seth Lover's SH 55's or Antiquities with special requested "full-strength magnets". After all, Seymour uses the same winding machine, The Green Leesona 102 Winder, that Gibson used to wind all those PAF's. The tension,tarverse, speed, and angle are set just like the old PAF's. All the parts in the pickups are the same. There is none better IMHO. ~Don Mare

That being said, I like my Dr. Vintage's in my PRS CU22 much better than the Seth Lovers I tried.

4. DonM

DonM Member

Maybe its time I suggest Wolfes on my site - but I'll need to hear them first - not that I do not trust ya-alls - but All I want is Real PAF tone - not something better - just authentic is all -
    Don

5. Sean French

Sean French Supporting Member

I've had many PAF style winds.
    Wolfe's Dr. V's are what work best for me.
    I found the Antiquity to sound a bit anemic and lifeless in comparison.
    Although it could be due to the weak magnets used.
    Give Wolfe a call.
    He is a cool cat and will make sure you are happy.

6. hawkeye17

hawkeye17 Member

Email Wolfe. He's great about helping you narrow down your choices to what will work best for ya. Fantastic service.

7. Jason_86_951

Jason_86_951 Supporting Member

For what it's worth. The Legends blew the DrV's away in my Soloway Swan. It was a night and day difference in the swamp ash body of the Swan.

The Legends just ooze tone!

8. 24loar

24loar Member

I think the Dr Vs sound great but I don't think the Dr Vs sound as PAFish as do, in no particular order:

Timbuckers ( no longer being made)
    Lollar Imperials ( really close and great sounding)
    Rolph Pretender '59s or 58s
    Vodoos
    Original '70' Dimarzio PAFs

You can tweak all of the above to sound quite good in a Les Paul style guitar...if you know what PAF sound you're after you can dial them in until they sound close...if you have an "album" sound you are after as in "Duane's sound at Fillmore East", remember the amp and Duane's fingers had a lot to do with the sound...on that album, the "PAF Honk" is readily apparent on both Duane and Dickey guitars.....and amps! EL-34 based amps seem to get closer for the ALLMAN PAF tone whereas 6L6 amps like Fender Deluxes/twins get the Bloomfield PAF sound more easily...

I've tried them all and compare them to the PAFs in guitars I own or have owned since 1966...There always seem to be some "forum hot" pickups and it seems that the Dr Vs are the current ones....a while back it was Voodoos, then TIms, et al....most of these pickup ( including '57 clASSICS) SOUND PRETTY GOOD...a lot has to do with set up and adjustments with amp combos...jusy try as many as possible...the search doesn't end...trust me, I have a workbench full of them....in fact this evening I just purchased a set of Duncan SH-55s based on this forum....oh well.

9. rastus

rastus Member

I have an excellent original set of PAFs that are the best of literally dozens of sets I've owned over the years. Frankly, I like my Tom Holmes set just as well. Sold my Tims, too nasal for me, Had some DR V's liked em, but a little more juicy than I wanted- but the fella I sold em to adores them-has since purchased 2 more sets of Wolfe p-ups. I love just about anything JM Rolph puts out. Hotter magnets would probably made me like Ants a lot better, they just seemed anemic to me.

All PAFs aside, my favorite set of humbuckers that I own are a set of mid 60's patent sticker ones that were rewound and waxed back in the early 80's by an old dude that had a electric motor service in Nashville. I explained what I wanted, he asked what kind of resistance I was looking for. He didn't even know what the hell they were, but his work was really neat, and they wre re-assembled correctly. Sound just mind blowing good. A couple buddies of mine took p/ups to him. I took a set of Tele p/ups down one day and they were packing everything out of there, the old guy had died. I just get a smile everytime I think of him calling and telling me "Those git-tar mics of yours are ready-it's 20 bucks for the 2-bring cash and the tax man can get his own!" He was a cool old guy.

10. pageburst

pageburst Silver Supporting Member

I found the DR. Vs much more PAF sounding than both his Legends and Marshallheads. The Legends were gainier but far more one dimesnional and not as articulate. The Marshallheads would be my choice for AC/DC type tone.

Other really good PAFS
    Fralin True 60s: open sounding
    WCR Crossroads: a little added grind

I like the Lollars but I found them more modern voiced but great PUPs nonetheless. TIms are great too and imo are very similar with that open articulate tone to the Dr.Vs

11. jamison162

jamison162 Supporting Member

SHEPTONES!!!!!!!!!!!

http://www.sheptone.com/

Jeff is up there with Jim, Wolfe, and Jason on Customer Service. These guys are the best. And Fralin and Don M. too!!!!! :BEER

12. trucks

trucks Member

My Dr. Vs have excellent clarity and no trace of mud. Send Wolfe an email. He is very helpful and will even rewind the pups if you don't like them.

13. rcl

rcl Member

I have Wolfe's marshallheads, legends and caretakers. The legends were his answer to vintage everything-and they are amazing. Marshallheads are a little hotter, the caretaker-somewhere in between. You might also check out sheptones. They are also a vintage spec PAF and sound amazing. I also ordered a set of WB's(not vintage) and noticed that he makes vintage spec and even some with vintage wire-out of my price range though for the crusty old wire though. Also tried Fralins and WCR DBs. Sheptones or legends get that vintage tone for me.

14. diamonddavewv

diamonddavewv Member

I've just got some RS/Fralin Psychobilllies: full of hollow, fat, spanky, unpotted goodness.

15. hardys

hardys Member

I've had two guitars with real PAFS and loved the sound, but I don't know how much of the sound was due to pickups alone. I'm not 100% certain that I know what vintage PAFs on their own are supposed to sound like. If I had swapped them with multiple guitars, I may have more of a handle on it. Listening to recordings of PAFs may get me in the ballpark of THE tone, but that long recording chain, from microphone to master and all points (and EQ) in between, inflects it's own sonic footprint.

So, I don't chase this moving target of acoustical memory too much. I just put 'em in and pull 'em out until I hear something that makes me smile. The Dr. Vintage made me smile enough that I left 'em in. If I had a bunch more cash & more time on my hands, I might try some other pups, but on the other hand....If it ain't broke...

16. go7

go7 Member

To the best of my understanding real PAF`s varied a bit in sound from pickup to pickup. So I`m not sure there is a definative target sound. Over the years like many, I have used many different winders and their PAF interpretation. To my ears Wolfetone Dr. V`s just push all the right buttons. I love em. Good Luck!

17. Ricky_Rockhardo

Ricky_Rockhardo Member

Wolfe is good people. He winds excellent pups as well. I love the Dr. V's I have in my R9 and wouldn't consider a replacement.

18. kevinabb

kevinabb Member

I have several hundred humbuckers, often try a dozen or so different ones in a guitar just to see how they sound. Some buckers sound almost the same from axe to axe, while some pups really change their sound in a different guitar.

My traditional favorites were early DiMarzios (before there were any model numbers or names), almost any Gibson T-tops (incredibly consistent and satisfying), and Duncan Alnico II (a really tight, aggresive note attack that blooms easily into fatness and overtones).

I then owned one pair of Tom Holmes that eclipsed anything I had ever played. I've owned other Holmes sets that were great, but this one set was direct from God. Sadly, I left them in a guitar that I sold to a trusted (well, at the time) friend, with the understanding that he would remove the pups and return them to me. Two years later, he's still making excuses about not being able to find them. That absolutely crushed me, until ....

I found WCR Fillmores. Holy crap!! I have become obsessed with their sound, and am slowly converting all of my humbucker guitars to WCR pups. The Duane Allman "Stormy Monday" tone that was always just out of reach is now available to me any time of day or night, from every guitar that I put Fillmores into. I love his Shredders (they actually give a PRS Custom 24 some balls), Darkbursts, and I'm about to try my first set of Godwoods. The WCR Crossroads are a bit tame for my Les Pauls, but I'll eventually put those in my ES-356 and ES-Artist.

Texas BBQs sound great to me, but are not quite in my personal sweet spot. Same with Voodoos: great-sounding pups when I hear others play them, but just a tiny bit too edgy and tight for my playing. Fralins are good and VERY reliable. I'm waiting for my first Wolfetones to arrive tomorrow - no opinion on those yet.

But don't let anyone sell you off of Duncan or Dimarzio; they make a lot of great pickups at very reasonable prices. And their pickups are REALLY, REALLY predictable from unit to unit. If you like one Duncan '59er, you can buy a '59er anywhere and it'll sound the same.

Gibson also makes a variety of humbuckers that are reliable and predictable. It's taken them a long toime to get to this point, but they have a wonderful portfolio of buckers at the moment. Burstbucker 1, 2 & 3 are a great way to predictably calibrate the "heat" level of your pups for a specific guitar. The Burstbucker Pros (Alnico 5 mags) are a little burly and gritty for me, but if you want Brown sound they deliver it big-time.

People love to slag the Classic '57 as boring, flat, uninspiring, etc. But many of those same folks rave about legendary Tom Holmes' pickups. Well, Mr. Holmes played a very large role in the design and development of the Classic '57! And if they aren't hot enough, get a Classic '57+. One of my all-time favorite combinations is a CLassic 57+ in the neck, and a Burstbucker 2 or 3 (depending on the guitar) in the bridge. The 57+ neck gives you dark, rich rhythm and big, fat, smooth leads. The BB 2 or 3 bridge gets you that ripping ZZ Top/Aerosmith grind. Like having two different Les Pauls around your neck at the same time!

Hand-wound pups, real PAFs, and Patent Stickers are great fun, but usually not as predictable as off-the-shelf production models. And they generally cost big $$. I actually prefer T-tops to '60s humbuckers because T-tops have, IMHO, really good classic PAF warmth and howl in very predictable amounts. And although they've become expensive lately, compare them to pre-T-top Gibson humbuckers and they are a stone bargain.

Just don't let people tell you that you have to spend boutique money fior great-sounding humbuckers. The most important thing is to match the pickup to the guitar and to your personal tastes. I've yet to find a guitar that I couldn't get killer tones out of with affordable, off-the-shelf pickups.

- Kevin

19. enharmonic

enharmonic Old Growth Gold Supporting Member

I have a Wolfetone Marshallhead w/ Alnico II's in my Motorave LeMans. I love it. I'd order it again. Wolfe was very helpful and turned the pickup around fast. It's a rocking beast.

20. jads57

jads57 Supporting Member

Wolfe rewound 2 different set of Classic 57`s for me. AAAA++++