1. A proposal is now up as a poll to change the guidelines of TGP to only allow member self-deleting of post/threads for up to thirty days of the original posting it. We are now watching the poll here. Click here to view the thread.

Dismiss Notice

Wolfetone Timbre Wolf.....

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by zorak, May 21, 2011.

1. zorak

zorak Member

is a kick-ass humbucker! Received it from Wolfe yesterday and installed it in my Charvel Custom Shop. And dayum, it sounds absolutely fantastic. I had been researching pickups for a while now, gathering opinions from TGP folks and the like. The JB was not agreeing with me and thought about what a strange concept it is to take a handmade, custom shop guitar and put one the most mass-produced pickups in the world. Forgive me, but I don't like JB's at all. So my attention turned to Wolfetone because of the experiences TGP'ers have had with them. Spoke to Wolfe about what I wanted and he sent a Timbre Wolfe, which I would describe as a high-output pickup, but not necessarily high-gain (if that makes sense).

The results were outstanding: nice, tight bottom-end, very sweet and musical mids and a smooth, clear top-end. Has enough saturation to hit the amp pretty hard, but doesn't give you the over-the-top high-gain that happens sometimes. The Timbre Wolf may not be for everyone, as it has more output than PAF's or even Hot PAF's, but it will make a rock guitar sound like a rock guitar is supposed to sound. And that was exactly what I was looking for.

Thanks Wolfe!

halcyon likes this.
  2. Phil M

Phil M Member

It's hard to get much user info on this pickup ... I bought one for my R8 a couple of years ago just based on the description and talking to Wolfe.

I disagree on your assessment of the JB (not my favorite pickup either, but it's a logical choice since it's familiar to a lot of people). I do agree with you on the Timbre Wolfe. It has similar output to the JB but without the mid spike which causes a perceived abundance of treble.

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 21, 2011
  3. zorak

zorak Member

Definitely about the same amount of output as a JB but a much improved EQ curve. I'm not inherently against a JB, but it accentuated the frequencies that were not pleasant. So I feel like the Timbre Wolf is a great replacement for those who may want the same output, but without the mid-spike, as you correctly put it.

4. papersoul

papersoul Member

How do you feel about the TW pickup for clean? I had one years ago in an LP but can not quite remember. I am looking to replace he bridge Dragon pickup in my PRS CE22 which is 19k and ceramic.
    With some of my amps, this is too hot....and causing mud, overloading the front end. Or maybe I should go low or medium output.

I would howevr like to try some of my guitars with lower output pickups, to see how my amps respond.
    Bogner 20h Shiva and PWE Event Horizon.

I tend to like creamy and day pickups. My current favorite are the late 80s Gibson Bill Lawrence Circuit board, "The Original" pickups in my Gibsons.

Funny thing is the stock Dragons work great with my Bogner but are too hot for my PWE.

5. ptgold

ptgold Member

Thread resurrection...

Anybody else have any experience with this pickup? Seems to be a good replacement for a JB no? Specs look interesting

6. papersoul

papersoul Member

I had one in an LP for a bit and loved it. Very balanced and full, pleasant sounding. Sounded great for anything clean to mean. I may get another to replace the Gibson HB-R in my LP Standard, unless I end up with a Duncan 59/Custom Hybrid.

7. kracdown

kracdown Custom User Title Gold Supporting Member

No experience with this pickup, but Wolfe winds the best pickups IMO!

8. papersoul

papersoul Member

Wolfe is the man, but these days I am working hard to stick with stock pickups in my guitars.

9. papersoul

papersoul Member

10. papersoul

papersoul Member

I still am not convinced that any hand wound pickups that different than mass produced Duncans, Dimarzios or Rio Grandes. Maybe someone else can chime in and provide some thoughts.

11. tritone 6

tritone 6 Silver Supporting Member

12. deadbeat son

deadbeat son Member

This post was definitely worthy of bumping a 5-year-old thread that had last been posted in 3 years ago. Bravo!

Silver Hand likes this.
  13. tritone 6

tritone 6 Silver Supporting Member

No problem...I didn't put as much thought or verbiage as you felt necessary, but bravo to you...