• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

Wolfetone vs. Bareknuckle vs. ?: Best higher output P90s?

Buck Woodson

Silver Supporting Member
Looking for cream soapbar higher output p90s than the stock Gibson p90s for my 2018 Gibson Les Paul Classic goldtop. Other than that, title says it all

Last edited:

PaulE

Silver Supporting Member
Haven't heard the Wolftone but the BK Supermassive I have is incredible.
Gives me great flexibility through the whole sweep of my volume knob.
Great cleans and gets very mean when you want it to.
Would love to hear the Wolftones.

big mike

Platinum Supporting Member
I’ve tried almost everything
No I haven’t tried bk.

But of everything I have
The two best were thorn gt90s (not available now) or wolfetone

Wagner g90 are also worth considering

rambleon

Having tried both, the Wolftones didn’t last 24 hours in my guitar. I thing comes close to Bare Knuckles, in my experience. Particularly the Supermassive 90s.

Slevin

Silver Supporting Member
All you have to do is tell Wolfe what you’re looking for and he’ll make it.

My thorn gt90 was massive sounding. Nice and gritty, no mud, but also very boomy (in the neck). But that’s me playing at home. I’d wager they are killer in a band setting.

zion

Only way to know which is better for you is for your ears to hear them in your rig with your hands. If that is not an option, logistics says go with whichever maker is on your continent, considering service. I’ve played many brands of P90’s and am currently playing Thorns and BG’s.

Betos

Silver Supporting Member
My only P90 guitar has the GT90s, and sounds the best of any guitar I have.

With the knobs up all the way, they can hit the amp with good aggression. When you roll the knobs down there’s all kinds of sounds, and you can definitely get the clean articulation you’re looking for as well

HughesP

Two great builders - it really depends what you want.

I’ve got wolftones in an SG - they are amazing. Clear, but certainly focused on the midrange with wide/vintage style bass response. I find they help a modern guitar sound more like a vintage one (if you’ve ever played a vintage Gibson with P90s, this gets pretty close imo). I will say that to me, the way their mid range sits in a live band is amazing, and always feels perfect, but I don’t always love them/the guitar I have them in, when playing at home.

I haven’t tried the barenuckle p90s, but from what I’ve heard from their other pickups, combined with their description, I’d expect a wider frequency response, sharper attack, and tighter bass from most of their p90s.

Both are well reputed - I think it depends what you want.

Trending Topics