Wolfgang GAS

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by gkinsingapore, Feb 19, 2012.

1. gkinsingapore

gkinsingapore Member

All this VH stuff has got me gassing for a Wolfgang. I have a R7 VOS Goldtop that sounds killer but using it 4 hours a night is killing my back!

Can anyone comment on the difference between the Stealth and normal standard Wolfgangs in terms of tone? Is one lighter than the other?

I just need a solid classic rock humbucking tone.......leaning towards the Stealth......

2. Archangelyabbo

Archangelyabbo Member

I am looking at this also. I am looking at the stealth for the $$$.
    I want a Floyd witht he D Tuna.

3. movingpictures

movingpictures Supporting Member

As an owner of a Peavey WG, and having tried the EVH WG, I would say the 2 are pretty darn close. The new model has pups that are voiced a little different. Guitar player had a good review of the EVH models a couple months ago. Either way, killer guitars.

4. geetarboy

geetarboy Member

I can't compare the models, but I bought a new Wolfgang Special recently and it's quickly become my number one. It plays like butter and even though the pups are relatively hot, they are very clear and work well with all tones. The neck pup might be my favorite I've played.

5. prkaye

prkaye Member

Interesting that you say the new album has caused your GAS attack. I was wondering whether the release of the album would coincide with a surge in Wolfgang sales.
    My own recent purchase of a Wolfgang special was coincidentally close to the album release date, but that was pure coincidence. I've been wanting one for a while, and recently sold my PRS to make it happen.
    If you do get one, and you have issues with the tuning going slightly sharp after trem dives, check the screws that hold the nut onto the neck. On mine and the other one Sweetwater had in stock these screws were slightly too long, protruding out the other side and preventing the string locking nuts from clamping down properly leading to the tuning issues. This caused me much, much headache (see a whole thread on the issue started by me last week), but in the end the fix is to file down these screws a bit shorter.
    Sweetwater has informed Fender of the issue.
    Ideally I'd have at least a couple of Wolfgangs - one with hardtail and one with floyd. But alas I'm just a bedroom player and can only justify owning one Wolfgang Special.
    The neck feels fantastic - and i love the frets.