Wolfgang Van Halen

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by pete692, Feb 17, 2012.

1. pete692

pete692 Silver Supporting Member

You know, I got to admit, I'm pretty amazed that the media isn't making more of this. You've got a major rock band, heading out on a much anticipated tour after dropping a long-awaited reunion/comeback cd, and the core of the band is a recovered alcoholic and HIS SON. Very unlikely story.

Oh, and the best part is, HE'S KICKIN' ASS. I've got to admit, I have been very skeptical of most things that Mr. Van Halen has done and said over the last.....we'll say years. And putting Wolfie in the band just seemed like one more cockamamie idea. But the way this is all playing out, it seems to have been his best idea yet.

2. Sean French

Sean French Supporting Member

There is no dirt or scandal so, the national media doesn't care.

3. Hand of Doom

Hand of Doom Member

Good title for a movie.

4. cffluntouch

cffluntouch Gold Supporting Member

I think he sounds great on the new album.

5. KHAN

KHAN Member

They should name a guitar after him.

6. Sunburst

Sunburst Member

And then write a song for his birthday leaving MA out of it. There's gotta be a half-assed conspiracy theory we can bake up.:rotflmao

7. Smakutus

Smakutus Member

He has already toured with them once.. He's a veteran now.

Jeff

8. rob2001

rob2001 Member

I gigged for 20 years in bars....he has more big time experience than I do.

9. semi-hollowbody

semi-hollowbody Member

not only can he play...but imagine the ballz it takes a 16 year old to get on stage with a HUGE band...night after night...that kids gotta have nerves of steel...

How many 16 year olds have done that with bands that are ALREADY huge...I would probably have puked, shat myself, and passed out the second the lights came on...

10. rw2003

rw2003 Member

It will be interesting to see what direction Wolfie takes in the future. What type of post-VH projects will he be involved in and will he remain a bass player or transition to guitar?

11. rob2001

rob2001 Member

For sure. Figure at some point VH will not be VH, those guys are old. This may be thier last time around.

But I'd think he will be able to do just about anything he wants to do musically. I mean, within his given talents.

12. MKB

MKB Silver Supporting Member

You'd think the Valerie aspect would be enough to get them some attention. If her and Ed were still together, the situation would be the perfect setting for a reality show.

Wolfgang is certainly earning his stripes right about now. For a long time he was universally slagged, and now he seems to be universally praised.

Just curious; how can you be <20 years old on the road with a famous rock band, and get into the misbehaviors that are dangled in front of you, when your dad and uncle are in the band? Do they make you behave? Go to bed early? Do your homework?? That's gotta be a bit weird at times.

13. Bar-B-Kill

Bar-B-Kill Member

+1 thought the same exact thing. The dude just steps out there and kills it. I don't think it will be long before the media latches on to the whole father/son dynamic, especially if they continue to sell out arena's

14. vangit

vangit Supporting Member

Stay Frosty Wolfgang!

15. djdrdave

djdrdave Member

I bet he kills it on guitar as well, and he can play drums too. Plus with the last name Van Halen, he has guaranteed job security in the band!

16. KeithC

KeithC Silver Supporting Member

I think it's a great thing. A Dad and son doing what they love together as "equals".
    Just hope Ed stays clean and responsible.

I would be proud and loving it to be able to look across stage at my son gigging with me.
    Nothing but good wishes for the touring VH clan and Dave too. :aok

17. taez555

taez555 Member

It's funny, I (like pretty much everyone else on TGP) was listening to the album yesteday in my car on the way home from work and during "China Town", when they play that guitar/bass lick at the end of the solo in synch together(very reminisant of DLR Shy Boy) I kept wondering if it wasn't actually Eddie playing both parts. I mean, he played bass on other VH records (Right Now, etc)......

...but then I watch a live version on Youtube.... There it is, right at about 2:43..... Wolfie is rippin' it up, playing right along with his dad.

He really is a chip off the old block. :)

18. Bassomatic

Bassomatic Silver Supporting Member

He has chops to burn. Like I said on the other thread, these are *not* arrangements MA could play with such musical ease and sheer pocket.

19. Hetfieldinn

Hetfieldinn Senior Member

The video above reminds me of those 'guitar shredding videos' where they show a guitarist, and dub in extremely ****** playing. But this time it's with the vocals. They're horrendous. Maybe even horrendous squared.

20. Dr. Tweedbucket

Dr. Tweedbucket Deluxe model available !!!11

Gamma Ray detection station on Mt. Kwakkleberry
    Yeah, that's the only thing that bums me out .... Dave's vocals live just aren't happening ...... I mean, he's toast. He's ok in the studio ........ He's always been that way though .... just check any 80s video, he is all over the place. :waiting