wolfmother tones

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by adelphi710, Jun 15, 2006.

1. adelphi710

adelphi710 Member

does anyone know what kind of amps/effects (including ods/fuzzes) wolfmother is using? i really enjoy their tones.

2. daphil_1

daphil_1 Member

As an australian I completely over wolfmother...but Im glad you yanks are digging them! Having seen them a few times - I know andrew plays through two Marshall heads (by sight I would guess 1980's DSLs) with two vintage cabs - probably loaded greenbacks and rickety 70's SG's. He used to play through an old fender head and a big muff - but he uses the marshalls for his main tone now and just stomps on the fuzz for some leads. His tone changed heaps after coming back from making the album - much more low end with the marshalls - his tone was much more vintagey before he left. I think he uses a line 6 delay modeller amongst a bunch of other pedals now. I know the bassplayer uses electro harmonix stomps attached to his keyboard for all the swirly stuff. Hope that helps

:JAM

3. adelphi710

adelphi710 Member

hmmm. the more research i do on the subject, the more i realize the good tones are coming from dave sardy and a bit of studio magic. its so hard to tell sometimes.

4. Glass Onion

Glass Onion Toneful truth seeker. Gold Supporting Member

I actually came fairly close using an old OC-2 (Boss Octave) and a Boss ge-7 eq pedal. Set the faders on the eq at opposite ends on every other slider. I can not remember if I went up first or down. That is to say boost the first slider all the way then dump the next slider then boost then dump and so on. Put the EQ after the octave and tweak to taste. This has given me some pretty interesting outcomes. I then went into a THD Univalve. This was the set up I was using for "Joker and The Theif in the Night" If you mess with the set up you can even get that cool note decay he has during the solo. I also can not sometimes tell the keyboard from heavily effected guitar.

5. enharmonic

enharmonic Old Growth Gold Supporting Member

Dave Sardy is the answer. None of that gear would matter without Dave Sardy.

6. 6789

6789 Member

I just saw a guitar magazine at the store that showed photos of their pedal boards. Sorry I don't know the name of the magazine.

7. jezzzz2003

jezzzz2003 Member

Marshall 1959 100w tops, dont need no pedals.
    Crank to ten and simmer.
    Pedals wont get you there.

8. duende

duende Member

9. 6789

6789 Member

The photo I saw had a tone bender and tons of other pedals, in fact more pedals that any board I've seen. I saw photos of two huge pedal boards jammed with effects.

10. Tallhorses

Tallhorses Member

I saw them on Letterman the other night. Quite a throwback.....

11. Platypus

Platypus not in rivers, but in drops

Iommi signature SG
    Laney amps
    Dallas Rangemaster

oh wait... :p

(just playing)