Wolftone Chaos (by Studio Electronics)

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by drbob1, Oct 11, 2005.

1. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

Turns out that the guy who designed this pedal is the amp repair guy at Dave's in LaCrosse so I got to spend some time with him and his pedals (the Chaos and a not yet released overdrive that was cool but I can't say anything about).

The Chaos is a 3 knob, two switch distortion/fuzz pedal. There're traditional volume and drive knobs. The third knob controls the amount of "effect" circuit. There's also a voicing switch that emphasizes even or odd order harmonics and a "hair" switch that increases distortion. So far it sounds like a standard distortion with a few extra switches....

Imagine a Fuzz Factory without the gating or self-oscillation/squealing! This starts with a fairly standard overdrive that cleans up when you back off on the guitar volume. As you add the effect it starts to create "intermodulation distortion" whatever that means. What it sounds like is that you're using an envelope generator to drive a ring mod and low pass filter. When you hit a note hard, it'll have a lot of high frequency content, as it fades it seems to shift harmonic content to more mids. The harmonic content ramps up quickly as you add more strings, with chords increasing the number of apparent notes and the envelope/low pass filter effect. It's a great way to mangle notes without losing musical content or gating (so you don't lose the tails off notes). It apparently works great with keys and vocals as well-preserving the formants better than most fuzzes.

Any downsides-well it does something that high gain amps do that bugs me-it takes just the tiniest bit of attack off notes-so they don't jump out of the guitar like they do with a NMV amp. Otherwise, no, I'd buy one of these in heartbeat if I wasn't saving my pennies for Arlington.

To my ears the straight OD was even better-VERY musical and amp like. Combined with a Klon or SHO for boost, it might be all the pedal you'd ever need.

2. iualum

iualum Member

I love the clipis for that box. I was ready to do a Crowther Prunes & Custard, but I think that the Chaos is really what I want.

Any comparison between these two?

The only caveat is that I play bass. The P&C handles the lower frequencies very well. Are lower frequencies a stumbling block fo the Wolftone, do you think?

If not, I'm all over it.

3. g3rmanium

g3rmanium Member

It shouldn't be very hard to mod it if it needs more bass.

4. muddy

muddy Member

i've wanted one of these for YONKS!!! kool effin' box!

ml

5. carltonh

carltonh Member

I just heard about these and listened to the sound clips. So bump for curiosity.

6. playon

playon Supporting Member

I'm real interested in this pedal too, also the Wolfetone Helium... clips are cool on both but it's always good to hear real-world reviews.

7. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

Darn, I was this close to landing a used one, then the guy played it again and decided to keep it. Maybe next time... :(

8. drezdin

drezdin Member

Matte had one for sale in the emporium that I snatched. I think it's going to be a lot of fun.

9. KRosser

KRosser Member

I just got one early this year. I love it and I use it quite a bit. I was surprised at how well it nails some decidely old-school sorta fuzz tones along with some nice extreme newfangled ones