Wolftone p90s users be honest

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by edwarddavis, Jul 18, 2008.

1. edwarddavis

edwarddavis Supporting Member

I just got a guitar , no big deal, just got a real nice guitar , so whats new , BUTTTTT. This guitar came with a Wolftone p90 in it . my god is this one if not the nices p90s sound I have ever heard . The guitar only has one pickup and its just sounds incredible. Was thinking of getting other wolftones to replace my other p90s in another guitar . Maybe its the new guitar but I have one thats almost the same and a/b te guitars same amp and the Wolftone sounds great .

Any wolftone p90s suggestions would be cool . Either way I never though one pickup could make such a difference :banana:banana:banana:banana:banana

2. fast ricky love

fast ricky love Supporting Member

When it comes to P-90's I have 2 favs: Wolfetones, and '70's Gibson P-90's (with the clear plastic top underneath the covers).

3. SnidelyWhiplash

SnidelyWhiplash Supporting Member

I have a set of Wolfe's P-90's in a guitar. Fantastic tone.

4. Caretaker

Caretaker Silver Supporting Member Supporting Member

I have a set of the Gibson clears in my Goldtop and I`ve been contemplating trying Wolfes in it. I`ve owned MANY Wolfes but for a while I had no P90 axes so I stupidly sold all the Wolfe P90s. I may have to order a Mean/Meaner set again. But these old Gibsons sound so sweet and chimy.

5. CitizenCain

CitizenCain Member

I've got a set of the clear plastic bobbin Gibson P90s in my LP Pro. I like the sound, that's for sure. How do the Wolftones compare?

6. the_Chris

the_Chris It's All Been Done Before Gold Supporting Member

I had the Wolfetone Mean/Meaner set for a little while (I ended up selling them when I sold my last P90 axe) and really liked it. The Meaner is arguably the best P90 bridge I've heard (better than even the custom shop Gibsons, haven't tried the real deal vintage ones though). My favorite neck P90 would be Jason Lollars though (just kinda has that "smoky" sorta thing down that the Wolfetones don't quite have, but are close). The Mean/Meaner set is extremely balanced though and the Meaner is much better than the Lollar bridges to me.

All in all, I think Wolfetone is one of the top tier pickup makers today. I've got a pair of Alnico 5 Marshallheads that I think are incredible and I'll be definitely ordering more from him.

One thing I really like about the Wolfetone P90s is that Wolfe "gets" what P90s are about. They aren't "polite" pickups, they have some of that attitude and aggressiveness that Gibsons P90s have always centered around and if you're looking for authentic P90 tones, I don't really see where it can get much better. I've always felt Lollars, while great pickups for some lighter styles (fantastic for pop, R&B, jazz, funk), didn't have the balls to really sing with authority.

7. edwarddavis

edwarddavis Supporting Member

I have a wolftone in one of my guitars which is a p90 and it sounds very full almost like a humbucker but no mud and real clear and when you ad OD its just very focused sounding and clear , really a great bridge pickup for junior type guitar .

8. Sean French

Sean French Supporting Member

When I had my R4 it had Wolfe's P90's.
    I asked for a stock(10,000 turn)bridge and a 20% underwound neck.
    Great sounding pickups for sure.:AOK

9. Caretaker

I`ve used the Mean/Meaner set(I think I had the first) and they are right there with real deal 50`s P90`s. I have a few real ones in guitars(1960 330 and 1955 Junior).

10. 57special

57special Silver Supporting Member

I use Wolfetones for my guitars, though i will use others also(Fralin, Lollar, SK Design, etc. are all excellent). I get them underwound, as i find that they provided the most versatility and dynamics. They are a bit crisper and more defined sounding than most 50's P-90's but that isn't necessarily a bad thing, especially in the neck pup.
    As always, it's a matter of matching the right piece of wood with the right pup, but in most cases Wolfetones are as good as it gets IMO.

11. tone slave

tone slave Member

So how do the Wolfetones compare to the Harmonic Designs? I love the HD's but they are more their own thing than they are an authentic P90. If I get another P90 type guitar, I would probably be looking for more of the authentic, nasty P90 tone from that one. Also, do they make a humbucker-sized P90, and if so, does it sound as authentic as the regular-sized one?

12. Caretaker

Go with the Mean/Meaner set from Wolfe. IMO no one makes a bucker sized P90 that is convincing. At least not that I have heard.

13. rockinlespaul

rockinlespaul Member

Wolfe's P90's rock!

Boneyrivers likes this.