Wolftone pickups in an Ibanez Artcore. Would you do it?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by HeeHaw, Feb 17, 2006.

1. HeeHaw

HeeHaw Member

I realize I'm just polishing a turd, but the artcore has become my favorite "go to" guitar here lately and I'm suspecting it can be much more than what it is. Anyone ever attempted this?

2. aoguitars

aoguitars Guest

:D

That's funny stuff. Thanks for that on a friday morn. Anyway, I've never dropped Wolfetones in an Artcore (I did however put them in a similar Shecter for a guy with great results), but I use his pups exclusively in the guitars I build, so I would highly recommend checking them out. If you're not happy, he'll rewind them until you are.

3. bickertfan

bickertfan Member

I tried a set of handwound pickups in my AK85. Personally I found the difference in tone marginal. I did swap out the wooden bridge for a Gibson ABR style and found that that improved the tone much more than the PU swap. There is nothing wrong with the Artcores IMO but I seriously doubt they will ever sound as good as a guitar with higher quality woods and hardware no matter what kind of PU's are in them. Unfortunately to get that little extra quality woods etc cost so much more...

4. Kiwi

Kiwi Silver Supporting Member

Sure, why not? You can always take them out again.

I replaced the stock pickups in my Artcore AFS75T with a pair of used PRS Archtop pickups (sold by Andy Fuchs here - hey, celebrity content!) and it's a really sweet sound now. Major improvement.

The guitar itself is well put together and plays fine. The end result is a go-anywhere guitar, for short beans. You already like the guitar - better pickups will make you like it more.

Kiwi

5. Brick

Brick Member

I love upgrading pickups on relatively inexpensive guitars. I've had great results putting Lollar P90s into my Epiphone ES295 and HighOrders in my ESP PC2. I actually have a set of HD Z90s on order for the ESP...I play those two guitars more than the other four. I'd do it in a heartbeat.

6. Garygtr

Garygtr Almost as good! Silver Supporting Member

I worked at Epiphone in the mid 90's and that was basically my gig for awhile-putting Gibson hardware and electronics in Epi's for "artists" (anyone willing to be seen playing an Epi :D ). I still regularly play an Epi Riviera that I upgraded with Gibson hardware and electronics. If the guitar plays well and you like the basic sound, I say go for it! As was already pointed out, you could put them in something else if it doesn't work out.
    As I said, I still play my Epi a lot. I cherry picked it as a good example with good neck angle, bridge placement, etc and relatively resonant (it is still cheap wood, after all) tone. I also had it refretted by a friend in the Gibson warranty repair shop, which helps a great deal as well. So you could say it is indeed a "highly polished turd", but it works well as I'm sure your Artcore does too!

A pic:

[​IMG]

7. HeeHaw

HeeHaw Member

Thanks for the replies gentleman. I have a couple of hundred bucks burning a hole in my pocket, and may try something.:AOK I'll post the results when I get finished, good or bad.

8. Curt

Curt Member

HeeHaw

"I realize I'm just polishing a turd, but the artcore has become my favorite "go to" guitar here lately and I'm suspecting it can be much more than what it is. Anyone ever attempted this?

I bought an Artcore. The fit, finish and overal quality is excellent. I usually do my own setups but I instead took it to a guitar builder near me. It was set up dead nuts perfect.
    I installed a set of SD Alnico 2's and the guitar sounds incredible. I have a Driskill and a Custom Shop Strat. The Artcore gets picked up and played far more then the others. I've owned a lot of high end guitars. This sounds as good as the best of them.

9. HeeHaw

HeeHaw Member

I see you play a Reinhardt Titan as well:cool: I think I got the first one Bob built, it was an amazing amp that I miss to this day.:jo

10. Crazy Carl

Crazy Carl Member

Some of those cheap guitars are very, very good. I scored a Chinese Hamer Scarab for for $250 w/case & it SCREAMS. Fretwork is better than my R7 LP Custom & it easily hangs with my Gibbo V & Explorer. With those jumbo frets & 'fast', to me, neck, it's beggin' for some EMGs.:dude

Oh yeah, Wolfetones rawk! I seriously doubt you'll be disappointed & Wolfe is 1st class to deal with; super cool dude.

11. fugazi

fugazi Member

Hey, the Artcores are not a turd! I love mine. I did put some Duncans into it, though. A Super Distortion in the bridge and a '59 in the neck. Now it's a monster.