• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

Women dragging their man out of Prog. &/or fusion shows

Baminated

RANT!

First of all the John McLaughlin and Jimmy Herring concert was the best concert I've ever seen in my life. However, I witnessed something that I've seen time and time again at many concerts before but have never gotten to publicly air out.

Guys who bring their GF or wife to concerts in which the Act does music that is highly Progressive and intense and mostly non-vocal. The reason I have such an issue with this is because of what I've seen - too many times to count - the woman gets bored , and either can't handle the intensity of the music, or doesn't like it, pouts, and then drags her man out of the place sometimes before the show ends and definitely before the encore.

Many (not all) women just do not like this kind of music at all, so if they don't, don't bring them - problem solved, a couole cant share every interest in common. I wouldn't want to go to a Mary Kay or Avon convention.

Most of the time (not all the time) they like there to be somebody singing with music they can dance to , and jazz fusion music or other music with Progressive constructs where there is little to no singing , they just don't like. The closest they will get maybe to this is smooth jazz, but that is primarily just instrumental pop and R&B music that doesn't necessarily push the envelope to the degree those other music forms mentioned do.

Don't you know her well enough to know that she doesn't like this stuff- so why buy her a ticket? And if you don't know her that well , don't you think asking her if this is something that she'd like by maybe playing a YouTube video in order to prevent a possible pout Fest to where you don't get to enjoy the whole show?

If the woman still insists on going after being warned that they might not like it, Guys need to just put their foot down before the show and say if they're going to go through the trouble of buying her a ticket that she has to stay there for the duration through the Encore ,no exceptions, and that she will be stuck there, and least get some type of commitment out of them that they will not pout about wanting to leave.

For the really weak guys whose wives mop the floor with their head on a daily basis- they could at least give some cash to their friend who isnt married or whose wife isnt a bitch, have him buy the ticket on his credit card so there's no trace of mr weak dude buying it , and then say to his wife that , "hey my friend bought me a ticket"....

Last edited:
a couple cant share every interest in common.

Indeed.

I am not sure why folks don't realize this or try to ignore it if they do realize it. There are a lot of things my wife and I enjoy together, but there is certainly not 100% overlap and we don't attempt to force each other into the other's good time if it isn't in the cards.

On the other hand, I may have to hang out on the sidewalk near Prog shows, selling frying pans and rolling pins.

Guys who bring their GF or wife to concerts in which the Act does music that is highly Progressive and intense and mostly non-vocal. The reason I have such an issue with this is because of what I've seen - too many times to count - the woman gets bored , and either can't handle the intensity of the music, or doesn't like it, pouts, and then drags her man out of the place sometimes before the show ends and definitely before the encore.

On the other hand, I know plenty of women who enjoy and make music that folks might consider difficult or extreme, so.....

Trending Topics