Women keeping rock/pop guitar music relevant?

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by lugnut111, Feb 11, 2015.

1. lugnut111

lugnut111 Member

Sitting here listening to the new Sleater-Kinney album, "No Cities to Love". Totally digging this release. Then I realized that the last album I enjoyed this much also features a female guitarist. St Vincent's self titled Grammy winning album. Both albums have great production value, well written songs, some very interesting sound textures and an approach to musical phrasing that I would consider somewhat abstract. Annie Clark's (St Vincent) appearance can at times, fool you into thinking she would be a timid player. But that couldn't further from the truth...she is a beast on guitar. Her live shows are visually stimulating as well, featuring some interesting choreography. Corin Tucker & Portlandia star Carrie Brownstein, both hold there own in Sleater-Kinney. The new album is their best recording so far. You can still feel the riot grrrl underpinnings but in a much more mature and interesting way.
    This isn't pelvic thrusting, male hormone fueled rock but it definitely kicks ass...
    Anyone else into to these two albums?

2. Belmont

Belmont Member

I've always preferred female artists, the female voice is what I want to hear.
    there's so many amazing female artists out there, as far as rock guitar and females goes, it's hard not to love Warpaint.

3. s360guitarist

s360guitarist Silver Supporting Member

4. William Braddell

William Braddell Member

I don't see it. The overwhelming majority of skilled rock/metal guitar players I see are still male. I'm applying this to musical creativity as well.

5. aaronblues

aaronblues Supporting Member

i love all the bands in this thread

6. SackvilleDan

SackvilleDan Member

7. geek-mo

geek-mo Supporting Member

Personally, I think co-ed is the way to go.

8. b80

b80 Member

Here's a new-ish guitar driven band from Canada called Courage My Love.

9. i8guitar

i8guitar yelling at clouds from outer space Silver Supporting Member

Liked!

10. aknow

aknow Member

Absolutely talentless.

11. b80

b80 Member

Nah.

12. Dumo

Dumo Supporting Member

Haven't heard it yet. L7 is going to tour btw. That should be fun.

13. Rocktrans formed

Rocktrans formed Member

There a lot of great Japanese rock bands with female guitarists - Tabuchi Hisako from Number Girl, Bloodthirsty Butchers, and her own band, Toddle; Mass of the Fermenting Dregs (sadly now defunct) is another great one. Lots of people like Tricot, which is an all-girl power trio.

14. AParrotLooksAt4O

AParrotLooksAt4O Member

I think TGP is certainly keeping relevant the idea that it is surprising that women are actually capable of creating excellent music.

Take that as you will, but I don't think women are contributing to rock relevance any more or less than men. The whole idea is sourly subjective. Both genders are creating some seriously great art, and I think it would be great if we saw everyone as peers in art, and not clap louder when a woman succeeds. We should expect it, because some of the greatest artists happen to be female. When Heartless Bastards released their last album, I thought it was a great record, regardless of that fact that a woman leads the band.

I do think the title of this thread is a bit misleading, hence why my post may come off as a derail. Sorry. I will have to check out those albums.

15. DaBlizzardofOz

DaBlizzardofOz Member

No mention of Halestorm? Lzzy Hale has got be the best female rock singer I've heard since Ann Wilson

16. tiktok

tiktok Supporting Member

General non-definition of "relevance" and TGP demographic centered on white, male middle-aged classic rock cover band musicians suggests this thread is D.O.A.

Yes, St. Vincent is awesome and new Sleater-Kinney will be picking up from previous high point.

17. slybird

slybird Member

I just searched up 'great woman guitarist'. Being young, pretty, and dressing sexy with cleavage will still get more hits than playing ability, creativity, or song writing.

You have to dig deep into the search before Joanna Connor's name appears.

18. T Dizz

T Dizz Member

St.Vincent is great if you ask me. Annie Clarke does some interesting things on the guitar and is a hellufa song writter

19. lugnut111

lugnut111 Member

I'm sure this comment comes from someone that hasn't listened to either album.

Not surprised at all by the many female guitar & bass players contributing to great modern music. But, rarely do I see female players mentioned on some of the guitar forums. In some forums it seems the only female players known are Nancy Wilson, Bonnie Raitt, Susan Tedeschi & Orianthi. Granted these four women are great players in the classic rock & blues genres. I just don't see much attention given to artists like Annie Clark. Personally I think Annie Clark has a refreshing & unique approach to guitar. Hope you do check them out.:phones

Relevance comes from the fact that these bands aren't playing typical classic rock or blues. These bands are playing modern music with guitars, contrary to much of the synth dominated music. I think that many members of your TPG demographic might not be aware of these artists. Some might find that there is newer guitar oriented music out there that is interesting & inspiring. And, it just so happens that it doesn't come from the typical rocker or blues dude.

20. Bankston

Bankston Member

Nita Strauss is making quite a name for herself as a guitar hero playing with Alice Cooper.

Man would I love to play some harmony lines with her:

[​IMG]