Wonder what the wood prep process is like at Suhr ?

tone?

I wonder if Suhr does something similar to their wood

Is this the tap tone characteristic of mahogany or do all good and well prepared woods ring like this??

This is a very interesting vid
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UjHpVGMaleM

Is this a super important factor that parts builders leave out? And then just 'blame' a bad sounding guitar to the 'luck of the draw' ?

Husky

I don't know of anyone who leaves any of this out of the process.
The roasted process also is a gold mine when it comes to much of this.
We also go through occasional vibration analysis of the wood.
Out necks are cut for more than a month before we do final fingerboard leveling and fretting.

I wonder if Suhr does something similar to their wood

Is this the tap tone characteristic of mahogany or do all good and well prepared woods ring like this??

This is a very interesting vid
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UjHpVGMaleM

Is this a super important factor that parts builders leave out? And then just 'blame' a bad sounding guitar to the 'luck of the draw' ?

tone?

So Suhr, do you think Warmoth does this as well?
I dont know if they would since their product isn't readily tested until the guitar is put together

Are all your guitars including the pro series tapped to mate necks with bodies? Or are they randomly put together?

When you say you do a vibrational analysis do you mean for mating bodies with necks or just in testing wood and different prepping to see what the outcome is sonically?

A vid of this from the Suhr factory would be VERY interesting

Husky

I really couldn't say since they don't really build guitars it is hard to match necks and bodies, I was talking more about smaller builders.
We have methods of sorting out necks and bodies by their resonance so they match but I prefer not to get in to the details. It is a lot more involved than tapping on the wood. We have spent a lot of time and money on the equipment to do it. I actually had a patent pending on the system as well.

So Suhr, do you think Warmoth does this as well?
I dont know if they would since their product isn't readily tested until the guitar is put together

Are all your guitars including the pro series tapped to mate necks with bodies? Or are they randomly put together?

When you say you do a vibrational analysis do you mean for mating bodies with necks or just in testing wood and different prepping to see what the outcome is sonically?

A vid of this from the Suhr factory would be VERY interesting

tone?

And is that sorting used on the pro series guitars as well??

Thanks for all the info!

Very interesting mr. Suhr !
Would love to hear the details but since there is no patent I understand

Husky

And is that sorting used on the pro series guitars as well??

Thanks for all the info!

Very interesting mr. Suhr !
Would love to hear the details but since there is no patent I understand
Yup! we dont treat pro guitars any differently than anything else. Same wood, same builders. They just dont need detailed instructions that follow them through the shop which saves us time.
Thanks

telelion

Platinum Supporting Member
John,

Do you ever make a guitar and just think that this is not up to standard and bag it, or make drastic changes until the alchemy comes together, or how does it work?

Very interesting that you really piece the guitars together to make the whole something special than how obviously production guitars are randomly assembled, not that I would expect anything less. It certainly explains the superior quality where it is not just parts.

Trending Topics