• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Wondering if cables make a difference?

I just got my Sommer Grindy cop beast cables in the mail from Lava Cables. I cannot believe the difference it has made. Greater attack, more musical sounding, warmer, tighter bass and mids, much better definition and clarity......I could go on forever.

If you're uncertain whether it's worth it to spend extra on good cables, JUST DO IT!!!!!

I just changed my strings and cannot stop playing.

Thanks Lava Man

brianf

In the past I would have laughed and said that short of the cheap 15.00 cables there is no difference but when Guitar Player magazine had the pedal shootout I ordered two 15 foot Evidance Audio Melodies from Lava. I had been using Planet Waves and an X2 wireless system. At first I could not tell a difference but I did a couple of quick recordings and there it was. More treble for sure. Also you can bang the Evidance hard onto the floor and it does not come through the amp.

I then read about the Evidance Lyric HG. Ordered two of those and there is a difference even over the Melody. Again even more treble.

The lyric is stiffer and lays better on the floor. The only shortcoming on the melody is they won't lay flat.

Anyway both these cables are fantastic, look good and are not overly expensive.

I have since had Mark at Lava also make me up a right angle and straight 24"cable for my X2 wireless.

brianf

rhinocaster

Gold Supporting Member
I've mentioned before what REALLY proved it to me.

I'd been playing Solid cables during a year long break that my band was taking. When we got back together to play our first show I decided to use my Spectraflex cables again due to the club environment we would be playing in.

Well, I set up my entire rig the night before to make sure everything was good and I had a problem. My tone was muted and it lacked presence. I changed batteries, preamp tubes and check all of my connections. Nothing.

It slowly dawned on me that I hadn't played the Spectraflex cables in more than a year. I swapped them out for the Solid cables and everything was back to normal.

Yes, cables do make a difference.

Bobster

cables certainly do make a hell lotta difference between the cheap low-end plastic coloured ones against lets say a Klotz,lava,mogami etc..

However, i do feel that the difference between each of the cables in the "boutique" (mogami,lava,klotz,canare etc..) are hair splitting! Hence i'd only settle for the cheapest one and concentrate my funds elsewhere..

Just my thoughts..

smogfalls

the only noticable difference I've found is when using my Fender Coily white cable, it very noticably attenuates the highs (which can be handy when using a Strat into the Vibrato channel of a Deluxe Reverb), and it also adds a small amount of noise, (which obviously isn't so great!) But it makes up for that with big helpings of mojo ;) ...

Now it's time to get some good cords for my pedal connectors. This is the "break the bank part". I have about ten pedals going into a 9 loop bypass switch. That's two patch cables (4 plugs) per pedal. The Lava ELC's would cost over $300US.

I've heard the impact of good cables but, holy s#^t, that's a lot of money.

Anyone have any other suggestions for patch cables? Bill Lawrence's are about half the price but, I'm afraid I'll be sacrificing in tone.

jzilla

i have bill lawrence cables and love them. i haven't had any other boutique cables to compare them to - only spectraflex, monster, etc. u definitely get a very obvious increase in high end clarity and the attacks are much tighter and enjoyable. more harmonics getting through... the whole spectrum sounds more balanced and defined. it's really not a subtle difference. my only problem with them is the wire isn't very flexible and is hard to manage on stage. they often get tangled.

-j

Pat Healy

Hey, nine posts in and no word from the head-in-the-sand hater crowd yet. Nice!

Lava cables for me. ELC's for long runs and ELC DIY solderless for the pedalboard interconnects. They do make a very significant difference over cheap Guitar Center cables.

Now it's time to get some good cords for my pedal connectors. This is the "break the bank part". I have about ten pedals going into a 9 loop bypass switch. That's two patch cables (4 plugs) per pedal. The Lava ELC's would cost over $300US.

I've heard the impact of good cables but, holy s#^t, that's a lot of money.

Anyone have any other suggestions for patch cables? Bill Lawrence's are about half the price but, I'm afraid I'll be sacrificing in tone.

I recently got the CoreX2 cable kits, and I gotta say, they sound pretty awesome!! Plus, if you get them on ebay, the price is pretty reasonable and shipping is free within the USA.

cables certainly do make a hell lotta difference between the cheap low-end plastic coloured ones against lets say a Klotz,lava,mogami etc..

However, i do feel that the difference between each of the cables in the "boutique" (mogami,lava,klotz,canare etc..) are hair splitting! Hence i'd only settle for the cheapest one and concentrate my funds elsewhere..

Just my thoughts..
I want to believe you're right. So far, all I have are Fulltone cables. Was going to pick up two 6" Mogami's and a Lava Retro Coil to use alongside my Fulltones. I'm not expecting some big revelation... yet I'm not sure how they will play together.

Anyone care to share their opinion?

Trending Topics