Wondering why?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by 335guy, Mar 2, 2012.

1. 335guy

335guy Member

Did Fender build some amps with tube rectifiers and some with SS ? Seems to be no rhyme or reason I can think of, except most of the low to mid powered amps had tube rectifiers ( champ to super reverbs ) and most higher powered amps had ss rectifiers ( BF Bassmans to Showmans ). There were exceptions, like the mid powered BF Bandmaster with 40 watts and a SS rectifier, except in the SF Reverb model, it's more like a Super Reverb, with a tube recifier. Even the blond Bassmans went from tube to ss rectifiers, but the Tremolux, Vibrolux, Deluxe and Supers kept the tube recifiers, along with the Princetons and Champs. It seems it would have been easy for Fender to switch to all ss rectifiers, like Marshall eventually did. And yeah, I know they did in the 80's, but I just don't understand why not sooner. Any ideas on this?

2. diagrammatiks

diagrammatiks Member

they used whatever transformers they could get their hands on.

they used whatever rectifier matched.

3. Jeff Gehring

Jeff Gehring Silver Supporting Member

I imagine with the gigantic bust that Fender had after their first solid state amps tanked in the marketplace (remember the Zodiac series?) that they didn't figure that trumpeting "now with solid state rectifiers!" would have been a swift marketing move. Early on the only reason for SS rectifiers was to get the current handling for the higher powered amps.