Won't Get Fooled Again Keyboard or patch?

Discussion in 'Keyboards' started by bullfrogblues, Oct 23, 2017.

1. bullfrogblues

bullfrogblues Supporting Member

I tried a search but was unsuccessful.
    I don't know exactly which keyboard our member has, but we're looking for a patch for it, or a new keyboard that does the Won't Get Fooled Again synth.
    Any ideas?
    Thanks.
    I can get the model of Korg keyboard if needed.

2. mleffler

mleffler Member

i have been looking for this for years... I've seen a couple of articles describing how the track was created, but I have not been successful duplicating it myself.

3. bullfrogblues

bullfrogblues Supporting Member

Thanks, I've seen tons of info on how Pete did this. I'm not the keyboard player, just trying to do some research for him, he's a busy guy.
    I played with some guys years ago, the keyboard was a Kurzweil, not sure of the model, but with a certain arpeggiator he nailed it pretty close! I'm totally out of touch with him so I don't know which model or mode he was using, but certainly passable.
    I thought by now some keyboard manufacturer would have a patch or mode built in for this, and that someone might know. The other members are not afraid to purchase whatever might be needed, though it wouldn't only be for this mode.

4. Devnor

Devnor Member

Kronos has a combi for this song.

Timboguitar likes this.
  5. Babysquid

Babysquid Member

It was an organ that was put through a synth filter. Years ago I played on a session using an old univox panther duo combo organ into a moogerfooger low pass filter and I recall that being a very similar sound.
    If his keyboard has an organ sound try putting it through a wah wah. It won’t be exactly right but it might give you an idea.

5cr33nager, Tootone and Astronaut FX like this.
  6. p.j.

p.j. Member

7. Tootone

Tootone Member

This ^^^^^^

I know you want "exact", but I experimented in the past... maybe this will help.

I got close with a Line6 POD HD using the Mutron Filter model.. I think it was on a LFO "UP"... with either Low Pass, Band Pass or High Pass, but 5 seconds of listening to each and you will recognise the right one.

EDIT: Dug out the POD... it was the Slow Filter which uses an LFO, set to low pass.

Add choppy tremolo and rotating leslie.

I'm saying this because you could probably find all three of above as standard items in a lot of modellers, and you could experiment.

Whereas "authentic" patches are rare as rocking horse poo. Besides, if you did find a patch, chances are it was created by a guy messing with filters, trem and leslie.

EDIT: Should have read OP properly. I did above trying to get sound on guitar.
    Filter.... Slow LFO changing filter cut off
    Trem.... Fast 1/16th choppy opto trem for key hits.
    Leslie.... for organ like sound.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2017
  8. Triton76

Triton76 Member

Most rompler synths from Korg can do this sound. start with an organ patch and use a slow sine wave LFO1 on the filter and a square wave LFO2 on the amp. you'll have to tweak the depths and rates to get it right.
    If he has the Korg SV1 or digital piano it may not have the programmable LFO's but a Triton/Kross/Krome/Kronos/M3 will.

9. Jr Deluxe

Jr Deluxe Member

I recall it was a marimba setting on a lowrey or something. Same as eminence front. Or maybe im thinking of baba.

10. Babysquid

Babysquid Member

Just been doing a little research and I think it was Baba

11. mleffler

mleffler Member

So this is one of the most distinctive signature keyboard sounds recorded. I can't believe that yamaha or korg or roland doesn't have it as a default patch. At one point I had a very good patch for Baba O'Reilly for the main synth in Logic, but never Wont get Fooled Again.

strike3 likes this.
  12. 5cr33nager

5cr33nager Member

I think the vcs3 was was the filter. I have this app and it’s great.

13. p19978

p19978 Supporting Member

It was a Lowery

14. GravityJim

GravityJim Silver Supporting Member

A lot of guys on YouTube do a great job of explaining how to get that noise. You start with a clean, non-vibrato Hammond patch, and mess it up...

dirk_benedict and mleffler like this.
  15. moogerfooger

moogerfooger Member

the TR rack has a patch called who's next that is spot on.

16. moogerfooger

moogerfooger Member

yes, I believed he patched the organ into a modular synth filter

17. dirk_benedict

dirk_benedict Silver Supporting Member

The poor man's way to recreate this "live" is an organ sound with a square wave trem set in time with the song. You hold down the chords and play off the attack of the trem to get the rhymthic effect. A filter with some sort of auto-sweep is nice icing on the cake. It's not pounding out 8th notes.

Pete shows how he does this on the Classic Albums "Who's Next" vid.