Wooden Shjips - any ideas about pedals?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by dharmabum, Dec 21, 2009.

1. dharmabum

dharmabum Member

Hi

Am just wondering if anyone would know what pedals the band Wooden Shjips would be using - particularly on the track 'Clouds over Earthquake' on the 'Vol 1' album?

Cheers

2. dharmabum

dharmabum Member

Maybe that was a bit obscure. Anyone recommend any decent pedals for psychedelic/motorik/stoner groove? Man.

Actually - the sound in the song above sounds a *bit* like the guitar part in 'When the music's over' by The Doors - when Robbie's guitar takes off, towards the end...

3. seiko

seiko Member

Great to hear the wah wah pedal in use in a contemporary recording. I thought it had gone out with the rise of the indie-shoegazers. Are the guitar effects used on the album old school pedals? ‘It’s a mix of old and new. There a number of great boutique pedal companies nowadays. It used to be you’d have to pay exorbitant prices for vintage pedals, which may or may not work or sound good. Now you can pay exorbitant prices for pedals that are new and work really well! On the album I use a Real McCoy Custom 3 wah, a new Electro Harmonix Deluxe Memory Man, and the “vintage” effects are an MXR Distortion Plus and Phase 100,and a Maestro Echoplex. There might also be some Big Muff on the guitar. Nash uses a bunch of stuff on the keys also: a Moogerfooger, and old flanger and analog delay, some other things. It’s a big soup of effects’.

Source: http://www.lostateminor.com/2008/01/22/wooden-shjips/

4. Pale Rider

Pale Rider Supporting Member

5. light years

light years Member

I love Wooden Shjips! Check out google images of them and maybe a blog might have some live shots of them. They have a great sound!

6. ChaseTMP

ChaseTMP Supporting Member

I haven't seen them since NY's 2008 ATP, but one of the guys was using a Maestro Fuzztain.

7. dharmabum

dharmabum Member

Just checked this out - that's a funky looking pedal. Bob?

8. Flyin' Brian

Flyin' Brian Member

Is this actually a genre of music? God I'm old!

9. amphead777

amphead777 Member

Great track, sounds like a Meathead on the rhythm, could be a Muff type pedal on the lead.

10. dharmabum

dharmabum Member

It could be, I guess...Just my best [quick] attempt at describing the sound:

Psychedelic - it sounds fuzzy, lots of delayyyy; altered states of perception. Man.
    Motorik - repetitive groove/beat [a la 'motorik' beat used by so-called 'Krautrock' bands]
    Stoner - sorta like a Spacemen 3 kinda vibe [who needs more than 2 chords!] - drone on...

But also sounds very new and of itself. Love it
    :)

11. JLee

JLee Member

Love this band! Would have never guessed in a million years that he was using a MXR+ and a Muff!?

12. KagakuNinja

KagakuNinja Member

Yeah, I love the Shjips. I was scoping out the pedal board at the Frisco Freakout, but I can't really remember exactly what he had (I was freaking quite hard from multiple chemicals :bong)

I don't remember seeing any Moog pedals, he had some large blank steel box with 3 knobs, I was thinking maybe it was a muff. As the interview said, a mix of new and old.

For vocals, he was not using an echoplex, rather a digital pedal.

Sadly, Moon Over Earthquake was not in the live set, nor were my other favorites (Lucy's Ride, Shine Like Suns)

Ripley also manipulates the knobs of his pedals with his foot, extra points for that. And I eventually read the writing on his freaky looking guitar, an Airline reissue. He has some other project too called Moon Duo, but I was thwarted in my attempt to see that.