• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

woodstock

lofgren

anybody here attend the original woodstock? if so, could you share your experience with us?

guitarz1972

I have a good friend who claims he was conceived at Woodstock. Both his parents were there, and his date of birth is precisely 9 months after the event took place.

mikeguy53

I remember a Pete Townsend interview where he said it was a complete disaster. Still would have liked to been there. It was the weekend of my sixteenth birthday Aug.20. Talk about a birthday party.

mikeguy53

I will say I think the movie came out brilliant. Considering the weather, suffocating crowds, etc. Hell, Hendrix playing Star Spangled Banner is history being made.

evildik

I wasn't at the original, but I did go to the '99 festival. Despite what the media says because of the fires at the end (a bunch of spoiled kids just looking for an excuse to tear **** up IMHO), it was a damn good time. It was hot, and the ground was hard to sleep on, but it was well worth it for the experience and the music. Fantastic and varied lineup.

Stardrake

The line TEENAGE WASTELAND was inspired by Woodstock.
Not to mention the entire song "Won't Get Fooled Again"....

N.B.--If everyone who says they went to Woodstock actually went to Woodstock, it'd have been 40 million there instead of 400,000....:crazy

RickC

I guess its cool to dump on Woodstock this year. Being of the right age, I know plenty of people who were there (really) - they consistently describe it as intense, mostly a great time and an experience they wouldn't trade anything for.

/rick

mikeguy53

I think I would have loved it back then, but I was sixteen years old. Probably not so much now. I do go to outdoor camping festivals, but my experience has been once the crowd reaches a certain size things begin to change for the worse. A good crowd, venue, variety of acts, and good weather can be a great experience.

Kooshball

i drove through woodstock NY this summer. awesome little hippie town in the catskills of NY. Beautiful!

couldn't believe the festival took place there..then upon research it was like 60 miles outside of woodstock NY.

DWB1960

Not to mention the entire song "Won't Get Fooled Again"....
Source?

Townshend stated in 2006 that: "It is not precisely a song that decries revolution – it suggests that we will indeed fight in the streets – but that revolution, like all action, can have results we cannot predict. Don't expect to see what you expect to see. Expect nothing and you might gain everything. The song was meant to let politicians and revolutionaries alike know that what lay in the center of my life was not for sale, and could not be co-opted into any obvious cause. [...] From 1971 – when I wrote Won't Get Fooled Again – to 1985, there was a transition in me from refusal to be co-opted by activists, to a refusal to be judged by people I found jaded and compliant in Thatcher's Britain."

sws1

I went to Woodstock 94. It was great. Then it was a TOTAL f-ing mess. Then it was great again.

Other than getting scared (paranoid) a few times over the sheer size of the crowd, and how it took hours to find the bathroom through the shoulder-to-shoulder crowd, it was a great time. But boy was I itchy when I got home on Monday.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom