wooly vs defined overdrive

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by music321, Feb 25, 2015.

1. music321

music321 Member

I swear, I think I asked this question on a forum years ago, but I can't find the post. What's the main difference accounting for the difference between "wooliness" and "definition" in an amp's overdriven sound.

By "wooliness" and "definition", I'm referring to the difference in sound between a JTM45 (wooly) and a Super Bass (defined). Or similarly, between a Fender tweed (wooly) vs a Fender Blackface (defined).

Is it an issue of power supply filtering, primarily, or something else? Thanks.

2. garret

garret Member

Tube rectifiers have more sag if that's what your getting at?

3. harpinon

harpinon Silver Supporting Member

There is some commonality with many of these terms but true definitions are ambiguous at best.
    The issue is that perhaps what you are hearing or looking to hear would be better described by another term.

Like I don't hear any "quack" from a strat in positions 2 and 4, I hear a major "quack" coming from the bridge pup. Again...that's just me describing a sound with a word.

4. music321

music321 Member

I'd agree, which is why I mentioned the amps that I consider "wooly", and those that I consider "defined". Maybe "throaty" would be a better descriptor than "wooly".

At about 4:30 in this vid is the "wooly" characteristic I'm describing w/ a JTM45:

This is the more "defined" sound that I'm referring to w/ the Super Bass:

5. music321

music321 Member