Word me up on the Telebration FSR made in USA Tele's...

jdel77

Got a lead on a Honeyburst FSR Telebration Tele. It's the Empress model.
Gonna check it out tomorrow.
Any users of these Telebration Teles? Any pros/cons? The thing looks lovely in the photos.
How's that Pawlonia (?) body?
The rest same as an American Standard? Should I get an E-Series MIJ instead?

Whitecat

The Telebration run was really great IMO.

The one you're looking at was definitely one of the 'top 3' that year. It should be super lightweight and very resonant. I'd do it over an MIJ any day.

tamader74

Your looking at the 'Empress' model eh?,...Well, like me take this time to tell you to Stop at the ATM BEFORE you go, as they are flat out as nice a Tele. as there is. I'm NOT a fan really of 'Fancy' Tele.'s,...BUT these are an exception to that rule for me (got a lot of 'Merle's' Tuff Dog Tele. going on with 'em).

I traded mine to rumors of surf here,...he had a Gretsch that I just HAD to have,...all that was missing was it's Certificate, which for me was NO problem to get straightened out (I'm SO glad guys and gals here passed on my/the 6118T 120th anniversary Al offered up due to it NOT coming with it's Cert.,...as you missed out on a GOOD one :p).

It was a bit of a hard decision to make to let the 'empress' go,...But I had enough Tele.'s that the sacrifice really paid off in the end. I really don't know IF I were to buy another 'Purdy' type Tele.,...I would NOT buy any of the other, fancier models than the 'empress' (I've been offered a Tele. 'Select', while beautiful...it's a bit TOO beautiful for me as far as a Tele. goes but that's JMHO...I prefer aged or thin color finishes).

In the end, Yep I would buy another 'empress'...they play and sound SOooo good...I'm sure you'll find it to be the same as I described. Tom

lostpoet2

Silver Supporting Member
Be careful of the weight and balance. I played a nice partscaster a while back with a paulownia body and super chunky maple neck that had great specs but suffered from annoying neck dive.

tamader74

Be careful of the weight and balance. I played a nice partscaster a while back with a paulownia body and super chunky maple neck that had great specs but suffered from annoying neck dive.
...these are not Paulownia bodied guitar, and are somewhat built by a Team (assigned anyway, as was the whole series of these). The 'Balance' on everyone of these 'Telebration' Tele.'s I've played, and the empress I owned was as good if not better than some of the CS's I've played over time. Tom

jdel77

Well I played it yesterday.
The neck was flat out amazing. As good as anything I've owned or played. Great fretwork and shape. It played itself.
It was also light. Shockingly light.
It honestly felt like it was all neck with a hollow body or something, and it was quite loud.
I didn't take it home as I'm thinking about either an American Deluxe or an early 80s JV, SQ or E Series.
But the offer for the Empress is on the table.
I guess when it comes down to it, I'm either gonna go with the Empress Telebration or an American Deluxe.

Thoughts on the Deluxe? I'm drawn to the contoured back, rosewood fretboard and the transparent pearl finish.

I don't know if I can deal with how light that Telebration Tele was. It was lighter than most acoustics I've picked up!!

tamader74

Well I played it yesterday.
The neck was flat out amazing. As good as anything I've owned or played. Great fretwork and shape. It played itself.
It was also light. Shockingly light.
It honestly felt like it was all neck with a hollow body or something, and it was quite loud.
I didn't take it home as I'm thinking about either an American Deluxe or an early 80s JV, SQ or E Series.
But the offer for the Empress is on the table.
I guess when it comes down to it, I'm either gonna go with the Empress Telebration or an American Deluxe.

Thoughts on the Deluxe? I'm drawn to the contoured back, rosewood fretboard and the transparent pearl finish.

I don't know if I can deal with how light that Telebration Tele was. It was lighter than most acoustics I've picked up!!
OH NO!!! (LOL),...Please go and play a AMDLX. Tele.,...POLEASE,...you'll run back to that empress so fast it will make your head spin!!!. While a 'Nice' looking guitar, a Tele. they ain't. The neck on the one I had was great (I called the '06 I had 'Femmie'...cheesy MOTS p-guard, ridiculous 'orangey' color...LOL),...BUT the neck WAS awesome as I stated, but NOWHERE as nice as the empress I owned, and the other 'Telebration' models I played, (I've tried the Pine model, the Brown colored model, and of course the empress I bought).

Couple of Buddy's took me out to celebrate my going into remission a couple of months after I was (Heck, I was still sick as a Dog for a few months later),...I was shown 'Femmie', and I don't for the LIFE of me know why (I believe it was due to the 3 'partial' beers they gave me),...BUT I was convinced that I had to have that 'git',...my Wife was getting some painting done in our Kitchen,...So I sold a few things and one of the BEST Gretsch guitars I'd played (a MIK 3141...I'm telling ya' Gretsch makes some GREAT guitars),...

...I went ahead and bought 'Femmie', and as I said the neck was the shizzle...but nothing else about that guitar, besides it's shape was a Tele.,...and I basically sold it dirt cheap,...got it back from the member I traded it off to,...and took it STRAIGHT to my nearest GC and took another $150. hit in the pants,...around $1100. into it, traded for a HSS AmStd. Strat. and a Tim, plus $130.,...nothing overly special about the $550.-$600. Strat., all I knew 'Femmie' was GONE...I even TOLD the member before he drove up what I thought of the 'thing', and he still came and traded for it!!!, (it was pretty minty though, as MOST rotten guitars with any age seem to be...LOL), got $850. for it at GC.

Like I stated, when I want a Tele., I want a TELE.,...and the empress is as flashy as I would want,...and plays as 'easy' as can be, BUT deliver's 'all Tele.' in sound/tone. I have heard the Ash body Deluxe is different...with the original pups swapped,...a really good 'bones' Tele.,...I would still take a empress, your right, light as a feather, but well balanced,...and perfect when you get into your 'Golden Years' (ahem,...in my situation, I'm now wondering why I traded it...could it be I am a Gretsch addict TOO...LOL). Tom

Last edited:

jdel77

A brilliant run down on it mate, thanks!
The stuff we play is heavier alternative rock so in that regard the Deluxe could be good.
I'm not too fussed if it's not 100% accurate to what a Tele should sound like... I'd likely stick a Lil'59 in the Bridge anyway - heresy!!
But I'd like to play a DLX to compare it to the Empress...

tamader74

A brilliant run down on it mate, thanks!
The stuff we play is heavier alternative rock so in that regard the Deluxe could be good.
I'm not too fussed if it's not 100% accurate to what a Tele should sound like... I'd likely stick a Lil'59 in the Bridge anyway - heresy!!
But I'd like to play a DLX to compare it to the Empress...
Oh yeah,...I am hoping you DO play a DLX to compare the difference,...your opinion of them may be totally different than mine (that is TRULY what makes this CRAZY guitar World go 'round),...as far as what your wanting, you may find the more 'acoustic' overtones in the DLX may just be your cup of tea (very good job with the DLX if that's what your wanting),...

...a pup swap is definitely a must,...I personally have NEVER had any luck with any of the SCN pup,...the seem to want to take me there,...and simply fall short, the first 'Run' of the SCN pups were a Joke (JMHO now),...as 40% were not what they should be (Fender admitted to this, and took many back and changed the pups, or gave you your $$$ back...the later was what I wanted).

Do NOT let the weight of the empress fool you,...it will perform like a 'Heavy weight' if you let it,...like I stated, the only reason I traded it off was I wanted the Gretsch I now have,...and they don't call 'Tele. Tom' for nothing (LOL),...even though I'm becoming more and more 'Gretsch/Strat. Tom' with each and everyday...Sorta' coming out of the Closet as far as guitars go (it's almost like having to move to Fla. when you reach a certain age,...and I'm at 'that' age). Tom

Trending Topics