Word of warning to Fuzz Factory folks

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by StompBoxBlues, Sep 24, 2006.

1. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

Just to mention it...

The Fuzz Factory is a GREAT fuzz, wild, weird sounds.
    BUT...when you adjust it, keep the volume REALLY low or you could regret it. The high frequency sounds that can suddenly blast out of there can't be good for your ears.

I'm dumb, so it took me a while to realize that it is crucial that you turn the FF's volume way down while adjusting. I am getting used to tweaking it even, and still I can't always anticipate when a squeal is coming from it...and just now thought I was safely making a small tweak and this really high, loud noise came out of it, and it actually hurt my ears, and made me a little bit nauseus. Set my ears to ringing (and I already have tinnitus).

So, any new owners especially, it is a really cool pedal, not knocking it at all, but some of the sounds can really get away from you!

2. markom89

markom89 Senior Member

Its true, I also found out the hard way a few days back...Ive still got the ringing in my ears...I hate it. Sometimes it lasts for weeks with me. You really gotta watch those stab and compress knobs...those will do the trick. I totally agree. Keep the volume to the point were you almost cant hear it...seriously. Then very gradually increase. Its a loud unit and it WILL damage your hearing. Also watch out for the Super Duper 2 in 1...

3. basscracker

basscracker Guest

lower your guitar Vol.,then slowly bring it up,much easier.yeah the FF got me a few times too :eek::crazy:BOUNCE.

4. utterhack

utterhack Member

Different tools for different jobs.

5. zachary vex

zachary vex Member

that's right. options and uniqueness are your enemy.

IMO.

6. Rollo Timbre

Rollo Timbre Member

My favorite setting has the Stab up around 1:30, and if I step on the pedal with no signal, yes I'm going to get oscillation. But if I engage the pedal the same time I pluck a string, I get the perfect fuzz for my uses, and then as the note's envelope decays a little, it starts going into oscillation; or I can roll the guitar's volume down...yep, it's just totally crazy tool which doesn't limit your creativity, in fact, the converse is closer to the truth.

7. JimmyR

JimmyR Member

I love my Fuzz Factory because it's wrong.

8. rwe333

rwe333 Supporting Member

:D :BEER
    <edit - I've tried the FF and think it's remarkable - big, big fun. Love that it can go from subtle to schizo!>

9. dewman

dewman Gold Supporting Member

the FF rules. Yeah it is barely controllable sometimes. Yeah it is totally controllable sometimes. Never boring and very very musical. The pedal makes you get to know your volume and tone on both guitar and amp, not a bad thing. A creativity powerhouse pedal. Try the FF into his new Box of Rock pedal. All that wildness gets a bit more manageable AND the tone is KILLER. Do you use it all the time, no- Is it a loud pedal, probably, but you can always turn your amp down or a volume pedal to match it. But fuzzes sound great through a juiced amp anyway. Z has taken the most creative path toward pedal design. I commend him on translating his original personality/humor/intellect/marketing skills into very original pedals that my ears likey. Many vintage tones are to be found in his pedals, but they are a starting point...which is way cool in todays overlyhomogenized world.

10. Funky Monkey

Funky Monkey Member

Ha! Nice one, Zach!
    I have two things-
    1. If you are following the warning in the original post, please note that, in disagreement to subsequent posts, your GUITAR volume knob will do nothing to squelch the high freq noises that can come out of the Fuzz Factory. I am absolutely certain of this. How? Because...
    2. One of the things I PURPOSELY use my Fuzz Factory for (more often than I use it for a conventional fuzz actually) is, with my guitar volume completely down, manipulating this high freq squeal a'la a Theremin. I ride the vol knob with my thumb while tweaking the Stab knob (usually) with my pinky. It's awesome, and cannot be attained with any other guitar pedal that I know of.

So sure, be careful. But if you're not digging the FF for everything that it can do, you're probably missing out on a lot of fun.

11. ericb

ericb Silver Supporting Member

I miss 2 pedals I owned :

1) A Mutron Flanger I owned in the late 70's -early 80's.. it broke and noone could fix it and I threw it away in the garbage.. damn... they go for about 800.00 today if u can find one, but what a cool pedal

2) The Fuzz Factory. I was 1 of the owners when they first came out quite a few years ago.. For some dumb reason I sold it to buy something I'd use at my gigs more often.. I'm nothing but stupid for not buying another as it's 1 of my favorite pedals ever.. You can hurt your ears with any pedal!!! OR ANY AMP!!!! With fuzz pedals , even the FF, you should have the volume of the pedal down when adjusting things initially and then do things gradually! ... I do have an oscillator /fuzz pedal made by this dude in England that's cool as hell and does some neat Fuzz Factory-esque tones, and it's 1 of the coolest fuzzes ever, but I'll buy another FF someday.... Carry on !

ERic

12. dewman

dewman Gold Supporting Member

I usually hurt my ears with my bad own playin..he..he..:dude

13. zachary vex

zachary vex Member

is your guitar plugged directly into the fuzz factory, or is there a tuner between? i ask this because sometimes there's a buffer inside tuners that blocks you from controlling the fuzz factory with your guitar's volume control.

14. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

Just to clarify, I was only warning against possible damage to hearing. It is, especially for people not used to the FF, VERY easy when tweaking to get these sounds, and they are like no other pedal I have "tweaked".

It was just a warning. I think it is important, as a very loud high freq noise (even just once!) can damage hearing. That said....all it takes is turning down the volume on the FF itself (for one thing, because you STILL want to be able to play with the guitar volume, which will bring out many nuances to whatever settings you have on in the FF) until you hear it is "safe" to raise the volume to "normal" levels.

I can understand some people not wanting "all those options"...I'm that way with wahs, I want one wah, one setting...easy to use. Even in fuzzes, I prefer easy setup ones for gigging...but for some bands, and for recording, and for just inspiration, the Fuzz Factory is one of the most fun pedals I ever owned.

What others call "the grin factor". It has it in spades. You can even play with those high-freq 50's science fiction sounds...they are fun and you can get it to "latch" on one tone until hitting another. That's cool as hell, but you can get these high-freq-from-hell sounds once in a while also, and if loud are dangerous...also, you can react to them...I know I started feeling kind of like quesy after having it go up to high-freq and then some (dogs in my neighborhood must have been going crazy).

So that's all I was trying to say. I love the pedal, and it is no knock on IT. I just wanted to save some ears.

15. Tonemeister69

Tonemeister69 Member

I had a FF and sold it 2 weeks later. I couldn't take it. The thing was consuming WAY to much of my time :eek:

16. goldie-gold

goldie-gold Member

I don't see what the big deal is with the FF. It really is not that hard to use at all if you watch the video and start from the recommended settings in the instructions. It may not be a the most straight forward pedal in the world but come on - it has 5 knobs. How hard can it really be?

It was actually the second pedal I ever bought and I managaed fine once I learned that it will squeal big time at certain settings etc. I will conceed that the really high pitched sounds the FF makes can be ear splitting, but if you make the mistake of setting it up like that into a really loud amp more than once then that is kind of your own fault.

Great pedal. Loads of sounds and nearly all of them usable (for me the really squished fuzz sounds are no good - other people probably buy the unit for those sounds).

17. rollyfoster

rollyfoster Supporting Member

my buddy has a moogerfooger envelope thing for his bass that came with a frequency warning on it. evidently if you're not careful, it can produce subsonic sounds that can cause inaudible, but permanent hearing damage.