Words of praise for the Boss TU12H chromatic tuner.

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Rock Fella, Mar 7, 2006.

1. Rock Fella

Rock Fella Member

Mine came today from california and yep, Ive found it to be a truly excellent performer. I have a Boss TU2 chromatic tuner also with its flashing red lights.

I put a Duracell 9v battery in the TU12H, I understand this tuner is remarkably easy on batteries and they last ages. If you use this tuner in front of your amp, boy it sucks the arse outta your tone and then some, a line out from a channel selector A/B unit will solve this and keep the tuner out of the path to the amp.

So, I hooked up my R9 to the TU12H and hit an open string , it was slightly out so I tuned it up to the point where the needle showed it to be perfectly in tune. To my surprise, the needle moved not one jot, it stayed rock solid , unlike the lightshow TU2 which shows sharp a bit, flat a bit, nope sharp a bit, ah in tune , back to a bit flat and then once more back to sharp ............blah blah zzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Quickly did this with the remaining strings , all dead centre and spot on , strum a chord, check 12th fret against open strings , fret random notes and glory be, all was perfect, chords ringing out in perfect unison and the R9 superbly in tune. The lack of fluctuation in the needle as opposed to lights flashing everywhere on the TU2 made it an absolute breeze to get in tune with absolutely no hassle whatsoever. :dude

TU12H has impressed me so far and TU2 is heading on its merry way to ebay , thoroughly recommended !!

Jimmy

2. pepperco

pepperco Member

I expect some party poopers will be along shortly
    to tell you how crappy the TU12H is. But hey, I love mine,
    would definately buy another. Very easy to use and set
    a standard many years ago.

I might suggest keeping the TU2 pedal tuner though, it is
    nice to have a spare / at home / aux pedalboard tuner.

3. Moe45673

Moe45673 Member

In Boss's spiel for the TU-2, they say something like "world recognized TU-series tuning in a pedal". I wonder what went wrong?

4. cvansickle

cvansickle Supporting Member

I like mine. The one on my pedalboard is still working perfectly, bought new in 1985. I only bought a "backup" for it last year.

5. theelectic

theelectic Guest

I bought one that was 10+ years old and supposedly broken because the buttons were mushed in. Popped it open, put the buttons back, fresh battery, and it worked like new :)

6. Rock Fella

Rock Fella Member

incidentally...........how DO you pop it open ?

7. theelectic

theelectic Guest

IIRC there's one screw to remove, then the two pieces of the case (front and back) are kind of clipped together - if you use a flat blade screwdriver, or your thumbnail, you can open up the "top" slightly and push it forward (away from the bottom). Do this on each side (there are two on each long side) and the sides should come apart.

Now that I think about it there may not be a screw to remove. It's all a little fuzzy, I did it years and years ago :)

8. Rock Fella

Rock Fella Member

no screw that i can see dude

9. Joe Robinson

Joe Robinson Gold Supporting Member

I'd like to throw some love the TU-2's way for the mute button. No one wants to hear anyone tune.

I have a TU-12 at home that has been working for me since 1984. But I've found that going by the lights won't work for tuning, the needle has to be on center. To me, that's not really useable in a live situation.

Joe

10. The Whiz

The Whiz Member

I run the bypass out of my TU-2 into a TU-8 and use them both at the same time. You can NEVER be too in tune. :moon

11. Realfi

Realfi trying to re-MEMBER

I have a TU12 of about the same vintage and I sold them in retail stores for about 15 years.

It's been a great home/recording tuner for me, certainly much more accurate than my TU2 for recording or tuning instruments that require a bit of an offset. I'll second the comments regarding the led arrows though-they don't always work.

Over time almost every TU12 seems to develop a problem where even when the needle is reading dead centre only one of the LED arrows lights up rather than both. Turning the tuner off and then on again often fixes the problem but not always. On a dark stage this makes it pretty much useless in my book.

12. 59model

59model Member

The old Boss tuner was good only if you used it thru an EB volume pedal with the tuner out jack, or an AB box as I did. Other than that, it sucked tone to the bone IMO. Some of my friends didn`t think so. Maybe a gift cerficate to an ear doctor would be a good gift for them in the future, LOL!

13. Realfi

Realfi trying to re-MEMBER

Oh they sure do suck volume and tone. When I used mine live I always used an A/B.