Work closing due to weather

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by CRAIG4FSU, Jan 28, 2014.

1. chikubi

chikubi Member

I got lucky and got a pass for today as well. Work for a school district and this was the first day back after 10 days off for the holidays. Got into my office and noticed it's fairly chilly in the school I'm in. Students hadn't arrived yet due to a 2 hr delay for the cold. Anyway, turns out the boilers had been having problems earlier and the school wasn't going to be at a suitable temp by the time the kids would arrive, so about 15 mins after I got there I got the call that the day was cxlld, and that was that.

That's one thing I love about working for a school district, we get all the same days off as the kids barring in-service days for the teachers, plus snow days and the like. Only thing is I don't get summers b/c I'm not a teacher, but since no one's there it's pretty relaxing so I don't mind.

CRAIG4FSU likes this.
  2. Campfired

Campfired Gold Supporting Member

NW Connecticut may be expecting anywhere from 1 to 12 inches, depending on the storm track Wednesday night/Thursday morning. That's a lot of leeway regards snow accumulation, though my work schedule has returned to pre-holiday status and less employee work coverage is required.

That means my work schedule will not be impacted by the impending snowstorm, though I look forward to staying safe and warm at home despite single digit temperatures through the weekend. Am happy that I chose to replace my car battery when it conked out before the NYE holiday.

Have never experienced the privilege of work crews being sent home or told to not report for work. There was that time in 2011 when the entire state of CT was under travel ban for 4 or 5 days because of power outages (we got our power back in 12 days, the remainder of the state, 2 weeks), but I think our store was actually out of action until their power was restored (8 days).

The storm track will not likely be as severe as some of the weather models are predicting. What's left to be seen is how well the weather forecasters considered their weather track models.

3. jblake

jblake Member

I hope middle Tennessee is able to dodge any snow/ice storms this year.

School districts and day care centers around here are closed this week for a flu epidimic, which means we are getting a ton of absenteeism at work (65% on Tuesday). Even an inch of snow or any mention of ice keeps most people around here at home.

What I see happening is that a large number of our staff are going to be out of sick days by the end of January.

4. n9ne

n9ne Member

I remember the storm that inspired the OP to start this thread back in 2014; folks around here still talk about that storm to this day.

We wish it had been a snow storm; heck, at least you can prepare for snow and deal with it, and the kids can go outside and play in it. It's kinda cool for a day or two. But that wasn't snow.

That storm was almost entirely ice, and it shut down pretty much everything. Everywhere you went, everything was coated with a half-inch of solid ice...it was beautiful to look at, but it was a bad scene. I'll take 4-8 inches of snow over a half-inch of ice any day of the week. That storm shut down the entire southeast for a day or two and caused massive power outages due to trees collapsing under the weight of the ice. I remember driving on I-26 to Charleston SC a week or so after the storm, and the interstate had fallen trees piled up on the side of the road for at least 50 miles....thousands upon thousands of full-grown trees snapped in half. It took the DOT the better part of a year to finally get all the debris cleared away and cleaned up.

Hopefully this one is nowhere near as bad as 2014.

Gasp100 likes this.
  5. time2kill

time2kill Member

When I used to work, I had a personal rule:

The weather may prevent me from going to work. Nothing can stop me from leaving work.

:cool:

6. tapeworm

tapeworm Supporting Member

Unfortunately, I am still here at work this morning. All the schools and many businesses are already closed over the potential for wintry mix this afternoon which wouldn't start til around 4-5pm. I'd definitely like to get the news around 1pm that we are closing early so I can go home, play some guitar and listen to some music. But, I doubt that will be the case.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2018
  7. 100JH

100JH Member

I am moving to Miami in 4 weeks :)

Warm weather and hot Latinas galore

Eff old man winter

Hush and outlawten5 like this.
  8. jaycee

jaycee Member

My work will likely be closed tomorrow. Hey, when the governor says stay off the roads, I stay off the roads!!!! Three day work week!

CRAIG4FSU likes this.
  9. sportycliff

sportycliff Supporting Member

CEO sent out his email today. No work during the blizzard tomorrow.
    This just after the urchin divers asked if I'd have the boat ramp clear for the morning!

CRAIG4FSU likes this.
  10. mattball826

mattball826 Member

We need to build a machine or spray the clouds that move all this Cold Bomb shii to the Pacific states. So Cal could use some 7 degree temps

11. outlawten5

outlawten5 Member

I hope all you guys are staying safe. I know the northerners are laughing at this but the southern states aren't prepared. Hell, I don't even have a winter coat.

Icedstevo, Gasp100 and CRAIG4FSU like this.
  12. CRAIG4FSU

CRAIG4FSU Whatever... Silver Supporting Member

Northerners? Pffffft, they chose to live in this mess, not me. I had enough sense to move out of it.:D

Thanks for the well wishes. I'm watching it from inside with the thermostat set on a toasty 76.

Speaking of sense. One of my ceramic turtles that have been in the flower bed for 3 summers almost killed me earlier. I cut through to meet the mail lady and tripped over it because it was burried in snow.

Hard to believe the heat index will be around 114 by July.

outlawten5 likes this.
  13. outlawten5

outlawten5 Member

I agree. Moved here in 84 from Wisconsin. Came down for spring break in Lauderdale and never went home.

CRAIG4FSU likes this.
  14. TheWayfarer84

TheWayfarer84 Supporting Member

sorry guys, it's all my fault. I have an amp that was supposed to be delivered tomorrow. My b.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2018
    CRAIG4FSU likes this.
  15. CRAIG4FSU

16. Campfired

Campfired Gold Supporting Member

Trying to get chores done before snow flies this evening. Laundry, USPS shipping, grocery shopping. Stressing just a tad because laundry is taking longer through the washer (another 15 or so minutes) before I can head to USPS before they close this afternoon. Will coordinate in short order soon...

CRAIG4FSU likes this.
  17. outlawten5

outlawten5 Member

You should make a snow angel

18. cameron

cameron Member

They're saying 1"-10" for NYC, but most likely 3"-6". Doesn't sound like a big deal to me. Your basic snow event.

I have had work/weather issues in the past. The big blizzard of 2006 hit on a Sunday, and my flight to Pittsburgh that evening was canceled. I made it to the airport Monday morning (no issue with getting a cab, and traffic was fine on the BQE), but wasn't able to get on a flight until mid-day. So I didn't make my morning meetings in Pittsburgh. The people out there were quite understanding . . . they kept talking about the Superbowl victory parade they'd just had.

Then there was Sandy, in 2012. I missed a day of work, and then lost about 15 lbs walking to and from work the rest of the week until power was restored and the trains started running again. I was working in Brooklyn at the time, so my walk was via the pedestrian walkway of the Manhattan Bridge.

In the summer and fall of 2005 I was flying to Atlanta every week. And there was a hurricane just about every week. In many cases I got rained on in Atlanta and then flew home and got rained on by the same storm a second time. I don't think I lost any work but my flights were delayed many times. There was one time when they told us we were being re-routed from La Guardia to Albany. That would have applied massive suction - but fortunately they decided to let us land at LGA.

CRAIG4FSU likes this.
  19. CRAIG4FSU

It's plenty deep enough now. That was earlier around 11:00.

20. Gasp100

Gasp100 Silver Supporting Member

Spent the week in Delaware where it snowed a bit and was cold as hell. Now I come home to MORE COLD and SNOW in Myrtle Beach?
    Kids are off 2 weeks already, they are now off tomorrow and probably Friday.
    I’m in the hot tub now and got my workout in so might crack a cold one waiting to watch the flurries.
    I attempted to ship an amp, but all stores are closed, oh well.
    Stay safe!
    I’m from NJ, lived in NH, VT and Boston so the fear of winter mix down here is comical, but I’ll take it. Even band rehearsal is canceled.

CRAIG4FSU likes this.