Work order guesstimate

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by Paully1, Feb 19, 2015.

1. Paully1

Paully1 Member

Hi,
    Thinking of taking my 16 year old Epiphone Joe Pass in to have the frets leveled, crowned and polished. I'll also have a complete set-up done at the same time.
    The frets have very little wear so I'm thinking that the fret job won't require anything extraordinary.
    As for the set-up I'd like for them to set the relief, action and intonation and spray the pots and switch with contact cleaner.
    I'll provide the new set of strings for the set-up.
    So what I'm looking for is a SWAG
    (scientific wild ass guess) or ballpark figure on what this is gonna cost me.
    I know that the market I'm in is gonna be the deciding factor, however if I can get some figures from you guys I'll be able to come up with some kind of half assed idea as to whether the shop is being honest or trying to take me for all I've got.
    Thanks in advance,

Be excellent to each other :)
    Paully

GEAR:
    Epiphone Joe Pass Hollowbody
    Squier Stratocaster SE
    Yamaha F335 Dreadnought
    Yamaha Thr 5 Amp
    Tascam DR-05 Digital Recorder
    Dell Latitude Laptop

Last edited: Jun 22, 2015
  2. B. Howard

B. Howard Silver Supporting Member

You'd be looking at about $150 in my shop but geographic location can affect prices on services like this greatly.

3. FallsRockShop

FallsRockShop Member

I agree that geography can swing prices wildly.

We charge $100+tax for a level, crown, and polish which includes the cost of new strings. Probably $10 less if you want to bring your own I would guess.

4. mark norwine

mark norwine Member

I agree....buck, buck & a half. Sounds about right.

Just curious: Where in the L-A area is there to have this done? I've searched high & low for a decent shop in the area but haven't found much.

I know Dana B.'s shop is there, but he doesn't take in work.

5. Paully1

Paully1 Member

There's a place called Musicians Hub that I'm planning to call in Auburn. They've got a good rep with local musicians, I don't know if they do fret work.
    Can you recommend any place in the area?