Work Rant (When is enough, enough?)

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by Weathered, Feb 25, 2019.

1. Weathered

Weathered Supporting Member

OK folks of the pub, I need to vent, rant, and otherwise let off some steam.

I've been at my current company for just shy of 4 years, to work in the finance department associated with some pretty cool strategic projects. This change involved moving cross-country (from MN to OR), and a large part of what made my choice for me was the hiring manager, who is an amazingly intelligent woman. Roughly 3 months post-hire, she was recruited to work in our business side, away from finance, and I stayed behind. The following 3 years were difficult for me, as we turned over leadership from the more strategic-focused to very transactional plan/budget/forecast, which is completely counter to my areas of focus.

Fast forward to last November, when my old manager reaches out to me to come work on her new team, doing *drumroll please* - large, strategic work. High amounts of executive visibility, challenging work, so on and so forth. In the time that I was in finance while she was in the business, she was responsible for a large number of big projects, so I had reason to believe that this was in store for me. Additionally, she recruited me with the intent that I take over one of the teams in the following 12 months, as we get the program stood up. In the meantime, I'd be what amounts to a management consultant for our VP and C-level folks, trying to bring some strategic guidance to big goals.

Now, fast forward to today - due to a large executive "whoopsie" where we made an implementation decision prior to having an idea of what we're implementing, I'm now a firefighting project manager trying to figure out HOW we get out of this mess. This is effectively comprised of creating solution ideas, bringing them to stakeholders and then having to delete them due to either system or operational constraints. Neither strategic nor interesting, but challenging, yes. I've had multiple conversations with my manager about the fact that this isn't really the work that we're supposed to be doing, but our organization is structured in such a way that things like this will likely continue to happen and proving that we can solve things may wind up only earning us more of this work.

Given my past experience with being sold one thing and then handed another, I'm really struggling to see just how to see this through. What's a challenge, however, is that this place isn't without some benefits - my hours are reasonable, pay is good for what I am doing (although I'm 2-3 titles and matching salary behind where I should be given 9 years of healthcare experience and being 5 years post-MBA), and my manager is still great. It's just that the rest of the organization is in upheaval and that is something that neither I nor my manager are able to control at this point.

Anyhow, rant over. Is it time for a happy hour yet?

bsacamano likes this.
  2. Tobin1634

Tobin1634 Member

this isn't good. If this is going to be on your mind, you need to start looking for a new job. I've made the mistake before of staying in a job because I thought it was "good experience" when in reality I could have been earning more all along. Money isn't everything of course, but its something to consider.

bsacamano and pbmw like this.
  3. PLX

PLX MENSA member, Astronaut, Dated Your Mom Once Gold Supporting Member

That's crazy.

Scrapperz, Roark, shane8 and 2 others like this.
  4. FbIsNotE

FbIsNotE Member

You seem to work for idiots. If you like working with idiots, stay. If not .... well stay anyway because it will just be a new round of idiots at the next place!:rotflmao

84superchamp and Roark like this.
  5. Pidgin English

Pidgin English Member

As the old saying goes; work sucks but I need the bucks.

I work for a major US bank that's been in a bit of hot water over the last few years. Nuff said.

gght likes this.
  6. pbmw

pbmw Member

Here's the thing.
    Companies use talent like yourself, in a variety of ways that may run counter to what YOU want to do. It's life.
    If you can do better elsewhere...then by all means do
    If you were to drop dead next week, in a month, they wouldn't remember your name

killinears, FbIsNotE, jvin248 and 2 others like this.
  7. soundmuppet

soundmuppet Member

Welcome to corporate America. Or should I say, welcome to the corporate world, because it's the same everywhere.

I'm going to give you a different perspective. One from a people manager in a large corporation....

This is actually an incredible opportunity to learn some new skills and round off your core abilities. If you are as good as you say at the strat planning(not a dis, just a statement), you'll get back to it for sure. Take the time to ride out the current wave and see what it leads to.

I'll also bet that she knows what you can do, and is having you do it because she trusts you to get it done....if it all pans out and she rises...guess who rises too. The fact that you've been pulled over to work with her is a good sign....don't go blowing it for no reason.

That said....if it sucks that much. Vote with your feet, just consider the alternatives and the fallout. I'm telling you now....there is a good chance you will find challenges and difficulties wherever you are.

And i'll add....if I lost it every time I did not get what I felt was promised....i'd be taking blood pressure meds daily!

We're both in PDX....pm me if you want a side chat

8. bsacamano

bsacamano Member

I really do think we get too emotionally invested in our jobs. Just go find another one. It may be better or it may be worse. If it's worse, find another one.

9. Tony

Tony Supporting Member

Early on in my career I had a boss who pulled me aside and said hey, here's some free advice: you will make a lot of money if you stay where the problems are. Companies always need problem solvers.

YMMV, etc, but it's worked out pretty well for me. Sounds like you have a target rich environment there.

10. Tobin1634

Tobin1634 Member

This is very good advice. You don't want to work for a company where everything is hunky dory, then you are as expendable as the next guy...
    As a manager, I have paid more than I wanted to retain people that I should not have retained because there were problems that needed solving, so it can absolutely work to your advantage.

gght and Tony like this.
  11. Blue410

Blue410 Silver Supporting Member

This also applies to the common situation for many here at TGP where "the man" has made your life miserable in every single job you've held yet they'll wait until they're laid-off or fired to hunt for the next gig.

12. Tony

Tony Supporting Member

Yeah, in my group, I'll take a problem solver over an advanced degree any day. Granted there are fields where advanced certification and/or degrees are a must - I get that, and I'm not here to downplay expertise.

But a good problem solver is worth their weight in gold. Every time.

13. shane8

shane8 Member

by the time you think enough is enough it's already too much

14. Roark

Roark Member

One observation, you're very lucky to have found some loyalty from a manager. It's very much missing in most situations that are monetarily driven.

FiestaRed likes this.
  15. uitar99

uitar99 Member

I work for a financial institution...decisions are made...then management force the square head into a round hold to try to get it to work...new decision...new round hole...

I gave up trying to analyze the decisions...I get paid...there is more work than I can do...I'm 65...I ain't moving to a new job now

Senior execs in Large corporations need to make a mark...often bringing ideas from a previous institution...whether it fits the new structure or not. Thats all they know.

Its prevalent in many institutions.

16. Petethekiller

Petethekiller Member

One thing I've learned over 25 years in finance and several redundancies is that when push comes to shove all the loyalty and hard work means jack. Get salary insured and wing it.

Roark likes this.
  17. Papanate

Papanate Gold Supporting Member

This just screams that it is time to move on to another company.
    The manager you like is holding you back for her own benefit.
    You do the work and execute the deployments that she doesn't
    want to do.

Healthcare is a hot job commodity now and for the foreseeable future.
    This is prime time for people like you - the opportunities you have
    if you just look would probably blow your mind.

18. JB Winterblues

JB Winterblues Supporting Member

It's how I earn my living. Org dev and all of it's challenges keep the lights on for me, and as I got older (more experienced lol) I saw the chance to remove myself from the daily grind of managing competing agendas and personalities and simply do what I do - solve problems. But, alas, now I get to pick what problems I work on instead of having someone tell me what to do.

Good luck and always keep an eye out for the next move.

19. MatchFive

MatchFive Silver Supporting Member

How exactly did an executive implement something when there was nothing to implement? Sounds like the executives need to be removed.. My guess is that the VP's and board members probably don't even know about it..

20. slipbeer

slipbeer Supporting Member

I work for a team at a Fortune 500 company where we do the strategic stuff but have a great understanding that it comes second to solving business problems.

It’s expected that our group are supply chain smoke jumpers. Our problem solving skills are valued to the point that we get brought in to shred bright ideas that haven’t really been thought through.

I have a whole lot of job security based on solving problems and it’s allowed me to avoid dry walling on the weekends to make ends meet.

Companies are constantly doing stupid crap. A lot of our stupid crap comes from MBAs trying to get some notches on their belt. Don’t be one of those people who get shown the door when their “strategic vision” doesn’t show up on the bottom line.

My advice is roll up your sleeves and fix whatever somebody else screwed up. You will never run out of work solving problems.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2019
    Tommy Biggs, soundmuppet and Tony like this.