• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Workin Man Blues

MikeVB

Silver Supporting Member
Looks like late 70s - early 80s era Austin City Limits.

I can't remember Merle's sidemen but seems like he employed the same core band for a very long time similar to Willie.

udi9

Merle is the man.
the clip is from Austin City Limits - 1978.
Norm Hamlet on steel, the legendary Roy Nichols on guitar, Biff Adam on drums (I think), Wayne Durham on bass and Ronnie Reno on acoustic guitar. I'm not sure about the others...

lhallam

Platinum Supporting Member
Interesting, seems Merle may have borrowed that rhythm lick from "Cumberland Blues" or maybe the other way around.

Great gtr solo, once again I hear some similarities.

Thinsocks

Silver Supporting Member
They didn't play the pickup lick in the above video... which I think is my favorite part of the tune.

jimmyj

Wow, Roy Nichols sounds like Dickey Betts except with a tele bridge pickup tone. There are about 3 licks in there that are exactly something DB plays a lot. I don't know if Betts listened to a lot of Roy or if Roy heard some of the ABB by the time this was filmed in '78.

27sauce

Wow, Roy Nichols sounds like Dickey Betts except with a tele bridge pickup tone. There are about 3 licks in there that are exactly something DB plays a lot. I don't know if Betts listened to a lot of Roy or if Roy heard some of the ABB by the time this was filmed in '78.
Or they both listened to Django. ;)

guitarjazz

Gold Supporting Member
Who cares about the gitars: listen to that voice.
Roy Nichols was a badass...so was James. James used to stretch sessions just for the cha-ching.

Carmour

Probably from a common influence before both of them. Fine pickin though. Love the steel style licks too

buellwisner

Interesting, seems Merle may have borrowed that rhythm lick from "Cumberland Blues" or maybe the other way around.

Great gtr solo, once again I hear some similarities.
Other way around. Roy Nichols was a big influence on Jerry, I think. "Working Man Blues" was out before "Cumberland Blues."

. . . which appeared on Workingman's Dead. I doubt that was coincidence.

Last edited:

buellwisner

Roy Nichols is a giant and wa well-known by 1970 or so (he'd been at it a long time even before joining The Strangers). I'm positive that Dickey would have known his playing, as did many of Dickey's peers.

Of course, Dickey apparently grew up playing a lot of Western Swing, which is the style that Roy's playing evolved out of. So they probably did share some influences. Oh, and "definitely" on Django as a shared influence.

Last edited:

buellwisner

James Burton played on the original studio cut.
Probably, as he played on most of the '60s Hag records.

Of course, Roy played on those records, too. On other songs ("Fugitive," "Mama Tried," etc.), Roy is usually playing the distinctive rhythm parts (fretting on a dobro, no less, IIRC).

swiveltung

I love Merle. There's a great version of this song by another player, probably done maybe a decade ago. Features a hot tele rif throughout and a little different feel. I cant seem to find it anywhere though.

Trending Topics