Working For Gibson

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by omahaaudio, Nov 21, 2014.

1. mattball826

mattball826 Member

i would have fired the exec for poor leadership examples and just thinking he is above anyone else when it comes to leave and permissions.

2. riff1006

riff1006 Member

I do it regularly, in fact I'm on vacation this week and I'm management. 9 days off on 3 days vacation and nobody bats an eye. I make sure everything is in order for my staff to stay busy and accomplish what needs to be done, and I routinely approve vacation time for staff as they request if I can cover the business. I would have an issue with someone who plays their cards in a dishonest manner. There are times when it wouldn't be wise to take vacation, like during an audit or some other event for which they're accountable or responsible. But if someone tried to do that, was denied for good reason, then called in sick? That's going to raise an eyebrow at least.

3. catpeople

catpeople Senior Member

It's simple, really. Micromanaging d-bag Henry's executive team is comprised of people who are willing to work for him. Is there any surprise that he's getting the bottom of the barrel? Good execs aren't going to work for that asshat. He's just reaping what he sowed.

4. SteveO

SteveO Member

His achievements in turning Gibson around are definitely very respectable, but I think that at some point it went to his head.

5. catpeople

catpeople Senior Member

Imagine how great Gibson could be if it weren't for...

The palsied Les Paul scribble on next year's models
    The weird holograms
    The mini-e-tune everywhere program
    The insane price rises
    The Hendrix Gibson strats
    The Firebird X

And many other things nobody wants.

6. markjsmith

markjsmith Member

I read a couple of years ago Gibson was voted one of the 10 worst companies to work for in the US. Don't remember where, but they made a good case!

Then again every time I think I have it tough I flash back to the time I was touring in the Middle East and saw a crew re-tarring the highway. It was 122 degrees out. THAT is the worst job in the world!

7. vintage66

vintage66 Member

How about the "we can't cut a decent nut so we'll just widen the fretboard to accomodate this zero fret thingamabobber".
    Seems like every year they make up new ways to make a lot of people less interested in their products. Maybe their strategy is to make the lower priced (but still very expensive) standard models less appealing to make people gravitate to the way more expensive reissues. Instead it makes me gravitate toward not buying at all or buying used, or looking at another brand. I think from 2012 with the baked maple fretboards up to now and probably beyond will be looked back on with a well considered "wtf?:dunno".

8. Ephi82

Ephi82 Member

I'm an executive. Henry is a tool. The tone of that email was way out of line.

9. Cornholio

Cornholio Member

But if you have vacation days to use, why should it matter when you take them? I see nothing wrong with boxing days to get long weekends (as long as there is ample notice). And I am an employer. And there are days when I am sick, and I don't go to the doctor. I don't ask my employees to "prove they were sick." That's just being an asshole. Vacation and sick time is theirs, they earned it. Use it however they want. It's none of my business.

I live in Nashville. It's well known around here that he is a terrible person to work for. Production line people don't seem to be too unhappy, because they don't have to directly deal with him.

10. Heinz57Pep

Heinz57Pep Member

And yet, people still are willing to be his direct reports, presumably for a sizable salary. So, none of this should come as a surprise. I've worked at places where the "leaders" were shamed into not taking vacation time like this, if not outright prohibited from doing so. All workplaces are different.

11. Cornholio

Cornholio Member

And there is a lot of turnover with people working under him. All of people are allured by the Gibson name, but find out the hard way. If you want the top talent in the field to work for you and be able retain them, let them do their job. Henry micromanages and bullies his top people. It's not good leadership.

Gibson could be so much more if Henry would act like a leader instead of a dictator. You achieve a lot more success when your workers respect you and enjoy going to work. It's the opposite at Gibson.

I actually applied at Gibson several years ago. A position involved with managing their web store. Everyone I know in the industry told me that I would and idiot if I went and worked for him. Of course they never called. That store dwindled down to nothing but a few apparel items and parts. I started my own eCommerce site and make much more than I would have at Gibson. So it all worked out for me. And my employees get 2 weeks (vacation or sick) to use however they want. And sometimes that means we all have to pick up some slack when someone is out. But that's part of being team.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2014
  12. mikebat

mikebat Member

It is obvious that he is not the type of guy I would like working under, but if the parameters are laid out in advance, and you accept a paycheck, then you follow them. Or you leave.

As for the whole "wear a tie" thing....in certain industries and circumstances, it is appropriate because the clients and business partners have an expectation of suit and tie. In other industries, especially those involved in culture and music, formal business attire has a negative effect. It makes people feel, "this guy does not understand me or my needs." Or "this guy makes too much money" You wear a tie in the music business and you become "one of the leeches making money off of my effort and art" not a trusted partner.

People just love to bag on Henry J. He is an easy target, but he keeps that company going, and good instruments flowing into players hands.

To paraphrase a famous movie...."We sleep under the blanket he provides us, and then question how he attains it." Maybe "we can't handle the truth!" ;-)

13. tymj2112

tymj2112 Member

Gibson is a manufacturing company, not a retail outlet. Many manufacturing companies in other industries (furniture, automotive, pharmaceutical etc.) close down for the two weeks around Christmas and New Years. This allows them to have their people use a great deal of their vacation all at once, during a slow production period, leaving the production lines to be more fully staffed the remainder of the year.

14. duckbunny

duckbunny Member

Henry never fails to deliver... Happily GMIC-free since 2005.

-db

15. Falco

Falco Member

He doesn't sound unreasonable. That does not, however, change my perception that Gibson has become a pusher of over-priced novelty items.

16. GarMan

GarMan Supporting Member

Gibson scores really low with employee reviews. Just look up some sites where employees rate the companies they work for. Gibson has a crap work culture according to their employees, and most people think Henry is a tw@t.