Working MBox

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by joeh77, Jan 15, 2006.

1. joeh77

joeh77 Member

I am a novice at MBox. Even though I bought the thing about a year ago (with the bundle). The instructions tell you next to nothing about how to work it. I went out an bought a book, The Musician's Guide to Pro Tools. I find it very difficult to work through the book along with anything practical. Really I think the more time I spend trying to figure this stuff out, the less time I actually get to practice, which is what I really need to do.

Anybody have any recommendations on any shortcuts they've found to streamline the process with MBox and Pro Tools?

Thanks,
    Joe:)

2. Matt Gordon

Matt Gordon Senior Member

I don't know Joe, but I came from the Roland VS stuff, and Protools is much more intuitive, way better than the stand-alone DAW's IMHO. I had mine working in about twenty mins, and have recorded over and over in the last two weeks. MBox II, Reason 3.0, and Protools are perfect for me. I don't have any use for Ableton Live Lite, as it's a little too light for anything more than auditions. But I've not had better than the Mbox II/Protools combo. What about it confuses you? Both Reason and Protools use the grabber, eraser, etc. Both are more easily manipulated than anything I've seen. Have you registered all the software? Also, have you viewed the DVD that came with it?

3. onemind

onemind Member

Joe, there are some short videos on Digidesign's Website. In the DISK (Digidesign Sound Knowledge), you'll find a bunch of excellent materials including an mBox Tour. If you have more specific questions, trying searching the User's Conference postings, great information there as well. Once you get the basic workflow down you'll find it very simple to work with. Don't get overwhelmed with the features. If you're inputs and outputs are correctly configured, it's really as easy as adding an audio track, arming the track and recording.

4. MichaelK

MichaelK Member

Read the Getting Started guide. That's why it's there.

5. joeh77

joeh77 Member

Matt and onemind, thanks for your input!

As far as MichaelK is concerned, yeah I read the MBox Basics guide. Didn't help me with plug ins and other things I think I need to know. But thanks for your sarcastic recommendation. I was just asking for help, no need to basically call me stupid.

I have no recording experience at all, so I can't translate anything in MBox from a 4 track or 8 track background. And I'm not very technical oriented. I guess what you're all basically saying is you've got to spend sometime with it.

Joe

6. tfunster

tfunster Gold Supporting Member

Joeh--- I just bought the MBOX2/Pro Tools LE about four days ago. The first two days, I was in hell trying to figure all this crap out. I knew nothing about MIDI or BUs's other anything else related to computer based recording.

Well I watched the DVD that was included twice, read the manual twice, spent hours fiddling around, and I now I have a decent idea as to what's going on. I'm not good at editing yet, but setting up drum tracks and guitar and vocal tracks is pretty easy now.

Also check out Pro Tools for Dummies. I was flipping through it and it looked pretty good.

7. js54

js54 Member

8. MichaelK

MichaelK Member

OK, it was kinda cold and I apologize. But there was no sarcasm and I certainly didn't mean to call you "stupid."

You didn't say you wanted help with plug-ins, you seemed to indicate that you had no idea how to get started. The only way I know is to walk through the printed instructions while your hands are on the keyboard. Much easier than trying to click your way around a video.

9. nickdahl

nickdahl Member

For an instruction book, I thought the Musician's Guide to Pro Tools was well done, and I've gotten a lot out of it. I bought the book when I got my Mbox, and went through the book in about a week. I play guitar, too, so I'd rather be playing the guitar than recording it, but I needed to practice recording a bit before I could do it. Turns out, I'm having a lot of fun.

Nick

10. covert

covert Member

PT is not one of those things that is intuitive;y easy to work with. The plug ins are pretty simple, if you've used outboard stuff. The fact that you have to create tracks to have master out control, sends and busses is a bit hard to grasp at first.

11. Cary Chilton

Cary Chilton Senior Member

I "just" got my mbox 2 bundle. watched the dvd, very overwhelming in info like shortcut keys, menus, sub menus, new tech jargon etc but practical and interesting. When installed IK media software, it says that I need to import it as a plug-in into protools to use it. Do I need to do this everytime? What are the menu steps for doing this, once I have made a new session.

BTW I just bought an external hard drive, but I never partioned it, just kept it as one drive (since it will only be used for protool files) -will that be ok?

12. onemind

onemind Member

No need to import plug ins more than once...if you've installed properly they should show up in your mixer window towards the top, just click and choose a plug in from the list, third party plug ins will show up as well, the newest version of PT has them by category (e.g. instruments, dynamics, etc).

A separate drive dedicated to audio is fine, many people will partition a drive if it will contain both the software you're running and the data, There is also a school of thought about partition size contributing to track count (multiple smaller virtual drives being better I suppose) But if you have a fairly fast computer you won't have many hard drive issues until you have track counts about thirty or so.

Again I'd like to emphasize using the materials and the users conference on digidesign's website. There really is a wealth of information there.

Steve

13. MichaelK

MichaelK Member

Not a good idea... still one mechanical drive doing all the work.