Working now - Can you guys check this out for me? Need opinions.

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by Scott Peterson, May 3, 2005.

1. Scott Peterson

Scott Peterson Staff Member

I have been working, for years, on some material that is different from what some might expect from me.

I am looking for thoughts on this material, this direction.

This is a collaberation between myself and Marilyn Mack, whom I was in an all originals pop/rock band in for a few years and we put out a CD back in 98.

I wrote, produced, performed and recorded/mixed this. Marilyn brought the lyrics, vocals and my good friend Mike Fredericks did the bassline.

Your thoughts, feelings, whathaveyou is appreciated.

Click Here

2. loudboy

loudboy Member

Immediately reminded me of Beth Orton and a Canadian artist called Mae Moore, who both do that kind of trippy, atmospheric stuff well. She's got a song called "Bohemia" that's really cool.

http://www.maemoore.com/discography/bohemia.html

Great vocal sound, what were you tracking that through?

I also really liked the swelling "bass glide" thing at the end of the choruses, really built some tension.

However, I was really waiting for a payoff and it didn't come. It started, and just stayed the same dynamically the whole way... It sounded like a remix or club mix of an existing song, if you get my drift. Kind of a reassembly of parts, that are working around the actual song.

Interesting new direction, however - I love that chilled, trip-hop thing.

Loudboy

3. Scott Peterson

I am a big fan of Beth Orton and Mae Moore, so I appreciate the comparison.

This tune is really built up around the groove; Marilyn just riffed over it one day; this is very similar to the original scratch demo we did. The bass "glide" is a neat trick you can do with Ableton's Live. There are no keyboards on this song (yet); these are all guitars cut with Adrenalinn and plug-ins in live.

I have the "payoff" part, but need a keyboardist to cut the part.

This tune in particular is more about mood and feel. It is more trip-hop/atmosphere than pop song.

4. loudboy

loudboy Member

In which case, you hit it just fine...

Loudboy

5. Bryan T

Bryan T Guitar Owner Silver Supporting Member

I like it! I love the sense of space and everything sounds really good. That said, I think it could use some spice. The chorus backing gets a bit dull on the second and third times through. It might be a fun challenge to add spice without losing the sense of space.

I agree with loudboy about waiting for the payoff - not that every song needs a payoff. In the context of a bigger album, this song could make perfect sense. However, on its own it simply creates its mood and lets you sit in it for a few minutes. I feel like it ends at basically the same spot that it begins without really taking you anywhere.

Have you thought about developing a bridge section?

Bryan

6. Greggy

Greggy Member

I'm kinda divided on the panning-flanged percussion part. You may want it to remain in the background as part of the vibe, but I would like to hear a smidgen more presence on the percussion tracks (not much more present, mind you, just a smidgen more).

The vocals are upfront which is a nice contrast with the instruments. Maybe when you mix in the payoff part, have it upfront in your face also, to stay with the theme. Or alternate it forward then back then forward........... I would want the ending to sound kinda wild and out of control, this would be consistent with the building tension in this work.

Keep up your creativity, Scott. Lovin it from my end.

7. Scott Peterson

Cool guys. Great feedback. Totally appreciated and noted here.

8. LSchefman

LSchefman Supporting Member

My computer would only play the first third of the tune...please send me an mp3, Scott.

I really liked what I heard so far.

The vibe is so much like what I'm doing with Katrina Mari on my label that it's scary, although the work is different musically and texturally, etc., and we're probably a little more toward pop-rock. Still...

Anyway, what I was able to hear sounded excellent.

9. PUMAMAN

PUMAMAN Member

Whaaaat? No guitar solo?:confused: :D

Seriously Scott , I really dig it, and thats not anything like what I normaly would listen to. I love the whole laid back vibe. Marylin's voice, oh my.. Very hypnotic, especialy when watching the water ambiance on my windows media player.:D

Kevin

10. Gerry

Gerry Guest

The first one or two verses, her voice is so low that you can here those "frog in the throat" overtones, which I don't care for personally, also it's a bit of a 'pop stereotype' sound by now- when She recites the verses a bit louder as the song gets moving, she loses the overtones and it's more pleasant sounding (as well as the choruses).

Simply IMHO of course; but she has a beautiful voice, and should use it.....?maybe raise the key from E up to B?

11. MichaelK

MichaelK Member

Scott, check your email. :)

12. sears

sears Member

It sounds great. Good song, perfectly mixed. I might play around with the timing of the bass drum, maybe make it earlier.. but that's just an experiment. I also think that the "something extra" during the title hook could be gotten by a different articulation of the same guitar part. It's really good as is -- especially the vocal -- but since you asked for things to play with..

http://www.myspace.com/11432227

13. gixxerrock

gixxerrock Member

I really like it. Ambient is all about texture and space, it doesn't neccesarily have to build like a pop song. My advice, is to roll with it and do some more.

Shawn.

14. tonefreak

tonefreak Member

I like when musicians stretch out and get a good groove going. This is a great direction... I don't know what the pay off is going to add, but I like it the way it is.

Reminds me of cruising with the top down as the early morning mist hits your face.

That's just me!

15. Bassomatic

Bassomatic Silver Supporting Member

A few thoughts (opinions) ....

Firstly, i dig what you're up to here. Very seductive and funky. (especially dig your boy's nasty bass part and the guitar filter fx).

That said, i think the chorus could use a lift, which could be done in a million ways (some clean compressed 16th note funk comping would be a natural here, if a bit cliched).

On the arrangement in general, i think it would benefit from some tasteful additions here and there (isolated synth dropins, atmos, swells, noises, what have you, but not too much - i dig the minimal vibe).

A third comment, mix/sonix related - i think it's tough to bridge the gap between a dry, condensere'd vocal (well done, by the way) and a heavily filtered accompaniment (all drums and bass here). If you're commited to maintaining the sonic dichotomy, i'd drop ther main vox a db or two, and add a barely perceptible amount of ambience (short, short decay). A different solution would be to use some hifi (ie non-modulated filter) elements, say, a shaker egg, tiny hat, etc. I'd go with the latter (will also introduce some builds/drama if done with that in mind), but thass me.

I'm digging MM's invocation/evocation here, and though she's clearly a much stronger vocalist, she reminds me a tad of the more recent, actually-singing Laurie Anderson. Kudos to you both on the work so far.

16. Bassomatic

Bassomatic Silver Supporting Member

I hear you, but you seem to be in the position to nail the benefits of both here, a la, say, Baxter or Portishead.