Working on a Pink Floyd pedalboard . . .

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by justonwo, Jan 22, 2012.

1. justonwo

justonwo Member

The breadth of tones over Pink Floyd's career has really inspired me for a long time. I think the individual pedals will be useful in other applications, but for now I'm going to set them up to cover some Floyd.

Here is what I have (and not necessarily in the signal chain order at the moment):

Wampler Buffer
    MXR 76 RI Dynacomp
    Stomp Under Foot 73 Ram's Head
    Stomp Under Foot Violet Ram's Head
    JHS All American (Rat)
    Analogman BC108
    Empress VMSD
    Strymon Lex
    Lehle Dual (to split the signal to my Rivera Quiana and CAA PT100 for stereo)
    Throbak Overdrive Boost
    Badger Schism (to combine one leg of the Lex with Muff for one of the amps).

I don't have all the parts yet, but they'll be coming soon. We'll see how it all comes together!

2. RyanFromQA

RyanFromQA Member

That's an impressive collection, and I don't even recognize all the names, but it appears you don't have a univibe or phaser?

3. zosozep7

zosozep7 Gold Supporting Member

I have many of them.pedals! The SUF pedals make it complete! Just picked up a Hartman flanger that i absolutely love! Wish Hiwatt would make a 5 or 15 watt head!

4. ZeroChan

ZeroChan Member

Nice list, but needs a Civil War Muff and a Flanger.

5. zosozep7

zosozep7 Gold Supporting Member

Strymon Orbit flanger

6. orogeny

orogeny Supporting Member

a lo-watt?:p

7. justonwo

justonwo Member

Oh forgot to mention there's a Moon Deluxe Phaser. No flanger yet.

8. Dashface

Dashface Member

You have to have one. A non-Deluxe Electric Mistress is what absolutely makes Gilmour's tone for Animals, The Wall, and The Final Cut.

If you ever want to talk Floyd boards, feel free to ask :) I made my living for a few years as the Gilmour in a fanatically picky Floyd act.

9. justonwo

justonwo Member

How's the Hartman Flanger?

10. gkinsingapore

gkinsingapore Member

If you can afford it there should be some Cornish on your list. Otherwise Skreddy makes pedals for specific PF tones. Lunar Module or Pink Flesh would be good places to start.

Gilmourish.com is the place to reference and he takes you through setting up a PF pedalboard using different budgets. Kitrae is also a valuable resource.

As always though, Gilmours tone is more about touch and feel as well as volume rather than specific pieces of gear.

11. justonwo

justonwo Member

Indeed. I'm familiar with Skreddy stuff. I've owned most of their pedals. I think I'm covered well enough for fuzz face and muff tones. I should say, I don't need to get exact tone. Just something close. Cornish is off the list just because of the expense.

12. rayza

rayza Member

They do a 20.

13. Ben S.

Ben S. Member

Mine's perfect. I love it for getting a tone like the live Wall shows.

14. guitarslinger21

guitarslinger21 Member

Are you going to add a Boss CE-2 to the mix?

Maybe a Boss CS-2 or a GE-7.

15. whackystrings

whackystrings Member

I agree and I will take that comment one step further:
    Phrasing, note choice, intonation on those slow bends, fret-hand & bar vibrato vs having the exact pedals (or clones) that Gilmour used. Not that one needs to choose one over the other, but in my wee brain I know that if someone had the feel absolutely nailed but was using a Civil War Sovtek Muff on C Numb vs an original Ram's Head I would say, hey, that's an interesting tone...well done, mate!

Hell, even Gilmour didn't use Gilmour effects in his tours of the 80's, 90's, and 00's...and he has the money to put whatever he wants on his board. He has enough ka-ching to put completely different vintage era-correct rigs up on stage with him and route into whatever he wants!
    To me, his solos on Time for those periods are not my favourite (he used a Muff rather than a Si fuzz face) but it's still his 'feel'.
    So, if all one can obtain is a recent model DEM vs a pre-2009 Hartman Flanger, I say go for it unless you really want to spend the extra $$$.

16. basti

basti Member

Hi,
    ich love Gilmour-style boards, BUT:

:worthless

;)

17. brettmoor

brettmoor Supporting Member

What's the deal with pre-2009 Hartman's?

18. pwrightmd

pwrightmd Member

Hey Brett,
    the pre 2009 Flangers have the original reticon chip used in Electric Mistress Flangers. I've owned both pre 2009 and post 2009 versions and prefer the one with the reticon chip. To be fair though there is a good bit of calibration involved and my older Hartman Flanger may just have been better calibrated.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2012
  19. justonwo

justonwo Member

No pics from me yet. I'm still acquiring the pedals and still have to make cables and power cords, etc. I'll post what I have soon.

20. JRC4558Dude

JRC4558Dude Member

The first Hartman Flangers had the (long-discontinued) Reticon SAD 1024 chips in them, just as the old EH Electric Mistress used. Hartman ran out of those and suspended production temporarily, then started making them again with a different kind of chip in them.

I have one with different chip in it, and I think it sounds great. Theo Hartman himself says they sound the same, and the non-Reticon (Panasonic???) chip version is actually a little more quiet.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2012