Working on upstrokes?

Discussion in 'Playing and Technique' started by cantstoplt021, Jun 8, 2016.

1. cantstoplt021

cantstoplt021 Member

I'm trying to get my right hand into shape and I've noticed something that could be a major contributing factor. My upstrokes aren't very good. Playing stuff with only upstrokes feels very awkward. I can't play nearly as fast with upstrokes as I can with downstrokes. Since this is literally half of the alternate picking motion it might do me a lot of good to isolate them and work on them.

2. Aaron Mayo

Aaron Mayo Member

Practice whatever you practice with all upstrokes. Go for good sound and feel. Good luck.

guitarjazz and Scrapperz like this.
  3. T Dizz

T Dizz Member

play a note four times down, four times up, four times alternate.
    repeat

dsimon665 and Scrapperz like this.
  4. Scrapperz

Scrapperz Member

Like Aaron and T Dizz said. Work on just your upstrokes to balance out your arm muscles. However is more comfortable for you. Get those muscles working.

5. Bryan T

Bryan T guitar owner Silver Supporting Member

I'd work on the evenness of my alternate picking, not isolating the upstrokes.

hobbyplayer and dsimon665 like this.
  6. thebowl

thebowl Member

As a very general proposition, I agree with this view.

7. cantstoplt021

cantstoplt021 Member

I just ordered classical studies for pick style guitar as it seems like a more interesting way to work on my picking technique than just running chromatics and all that.

8. Seraphine

Seraphine Member

I agree with "starting usual runs etc with an upstroke"... or something to that paraphrased effect.... Someone mentioned something like that!

Beginning with a downstroke all the time seems to block free flow or sumtin... being able to begin anything anywhere either up or down helps. Guess this applies not only to execution/technique, it can be used for a "sound" we may want... much like with chords and rhythm. Same with melodic lines.. leads etc...

9. muzishun

muzishun Member

I could be way off but I say forget about all this and play. A lot. Have fun. Play.

10. GovernorSilver

GovernorSilver Member

Check out this one too - you can play along with the CD once you've reached a good comfort level. And the CD tracks come in slow and fast versions.