Working with an AxeFx Ultra

Slapshot1977

I had one for a while. Once you get used to it it's pretty easy. But yeah, initially it's pretty odd.

JiveTurkey

Trumpets and Tants
Silver Supporting Member
Just trying to get in and level match presets is headache inducing :( I am going to down some coffee and see if I can make a dent in things.

JiveTurkey

Trumpets and Tants
Silver Supporting Member
So I cracked the first tweaking seal on this thing. Not sure how long it will take to become actually competent at preset crafting and tweaking on this thing. I will say I would have to hear a lot more convincing tones than what are currently loaded on it to justify a $1200 used price tag. $800+ the midi break out box maybe? I think that's what's needed for computer based tweaking. I am sure it's capable of great things but it's going to take a bit to say the least.

djd100

Correct, though they're cheap (1 in X 1 out).

The Axe has a good front panel implementation, though no front panel can compete with a software editor on a decent sized screen.

Won't work without a Midi to USB box from what I understand. Correct me if I'm wrong please.

Last edited:

JiveTurkey

Trumpets and Tants
Silver Supporting Member
Correct, though they're cheap (1 in X 1 out).

The Axe has a good front panel implementation, though no front panel can compete with a software editor on a decent sized screen.
Was there a quick start guide for this? If so; I missed it. How hard would it have been to say "Press layout button, use navigation buttons to highlight the part of the chain you want to edit, then press edit"? :eek: :D

Once I got it; it was fairy straightforward but just looking at the panel initially had me scratching my head. Maybe it's because I am used to obvious knobs such as the ones on 11r or the Amplifire. It took me a minute to say the least.

djd100

The manual touches on it I think?

Was there a quick start guide for this? If so; I missed it. How hard would it have been to say "Press layout button, use navigation buttons to highlight the part of the chain you want to edit, then press edit"? :eek: :D

Once I got it; it was fairy straightforward but just looking at the panel initially had me scratching my head. Maybe it's because I am used to obvious knobs such as the ones on 11r or the Amplifire. It took me a minute to say the least.

stratzrus

Philadelphia Jazz, Funk, and R&B
Gold Supporting Member
I never used a computer with my Ultra. I was very comfortable with the user interface in about a week.

Initially it took me about 45 minutes to tweak a preset to sound pretty good and then 3 to 5 minutes now and then to get it really dialed in.

In time, once I learned what settings worked best for me, I could dial in a preset in 5-10 minutes.

The tones are so variable, the chance of it coming with the tones you want are slim to none. See if you can locate someone who is really good at dialing in an Ultra and get some tips. There are things you can do with pre and post EQ that will make a major difference. I'm far from good at it in comparison to some others. Scott Peterson has proven to be really helpful when I got stuck and needed some advice.

Elric

Silver Supporting Member
Won't work without a Midi to USB box from what I understand. Correct me if I'm wrong please.
It is easily worth the cost unless you consider your own time to be utterly worthless.

As an old school processor user the Axe User interface is absolutely trivial to use compared to some of the cr*p I originally got started on. Digitech GSP-5 comes to mind. So it is perfectly viable but that is not saying much.

With Axe-Edit, though, it is downright modern and since the Gen 1 Fractals require significantly more deep editing/dialing than the II series; I would strongly recommend it as your main tool for new preset creation (which as stratzrus notes is required for the best sounds with your own rig, the original owners presets are almost certainly worthless).

Last edited:

hippietim

Almost all MIDI adapters are USB. There are some really crappy MIDI/USB interfaces out there that don't work well for a lot of stuff - so avoid the $8.00 USB/MIDI cables on Ebay. You can find M Audio 2x2 interfaces for $30-40 used. You can get a full blown audio interface with MIDI support for about $100 (so you can record with the Ultra as well).

JiveTurkey

Trumpets and Tants
Silver Supporting Member
Almost all MIDI adapters are USB. There are some really crappy MIDI/USB interfaces out there that don't work well for a lot of stuff - so avoid the $8.00 USB/MIDI cables on Ebay. You can find M Audio 2x2 interfaces for $30-40 used. You can get a full blown audio interface with MIDI support for about $100 (so you can record with the Ultra as well).
Well, problem is the Axe isn't the guitar players'; it's his other band's drummers'. (Drummers' ? too many apostrophes :D) The drummer would be the one, by all rights, to buy the midi interface. If my guitarist didn't end up digging the modeling route; it would be a waste of money.

I wonder if I could use my SY300 as an interface between the axe and my computer? Probably not I am assuming. It has MIDI but I am assuming it wouldn't act as a pass through for the Axe.

hippietim

Well, problem is the Axe isn't the guitar players'; it's his other band's drummers'. (Drummers' ? too many apostrophes :D) The drummer would be the one, by all rights, to buy the midi interface. If my guitarist didn't end up digging the modeling route; it would be a waste of money.

I wonder if I could use my SY300 as an interface between the axe and my computer? Probably not I am assuming. It has MIDI but I am assuming it wouldn't act as a pass through for the Axe.

I would be surprised if it worked but you never know. If whoever buys the interface gets it from Gutter Center they'd have 45 days to return the interface - that ought to be enough time to make a go/no-go decision.

JiveTurkey

Trumpets and Tants
Silver Supporting Member
It is easily worth the cost unless you consider your own time to be utterly worthless.

As an old school processor user the Axe User interface is absolutely trivial to use compared to some of the cr*p I originally got started on. Digitech GSP-5 comes to mind. So it is perfectly viable but that is not saying much.

With Axe-Edit, though, it is downright modern and since the Gen 1 Fractals require significantly more deep editing/dialing than the II series; I would strongly recommend it as your main tool for new preset creation (which as stratzrus notes is required for the best sounds with your own rig, the original owners presets are almost certainly worthless).
So if were to get a working MIDI interface; could the Ultra load modern IRs from Ownhammer and the like?

Tonekat

Gold Supporting Member
M Audio Midisport 1X1. Approx. 39.95 works fine.

I've got the Midisport Uno (the 1 x 1), and while it always worked to update the software (when they were still updating it for the Ultra), I have never gotten it to work with the AxeEdit Software.

Elric

Silver Supporting Member
I have used Axe-Edit with an Ultra and the MIDISport 2x2 within the last week. I have a MIDIsport 4x4 that I am pretty sure worked as well but is a little too much 5-pin MIDI port madness for my needs these days.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom