Works or Not?

Discussion in 'Member Video and Sound Clips' started by 94prs22, Nov 20, 2005.

1. 94prs22

94prs22 Gold Supporting Member

Hey all,
    Here's a bit more traditional instrumental (more traditional compared to the 50s-60s Z-grade soundtrack inspired stuff that I've posted a bit of in the past), but I guess the question is does it work for you? Feel free to constructively criticize the playing, arrangement, recording technique, etc, it's all me except the drum machine and my daughter's voice variously sampled.
    Thanks
    Brandon

Can You Play With Me?

2. Antero

Antero Member

Ok, I understand what you're trying to do with the samples, but they way they're recorded and cut makes them sound really jarring and strange. They sound overprocessed, and they're cut too sharply, and they're seriously disconnected from the rest of the piece.

The guitar work, though, sounds great.

3. 94prs22

Thanks man, that's exactly what I was hoping to get an opinion on, I've been waffling back and forth since I added them and I think I've lost my objectivity. I'd love to hear anyone else's opinion of the samples, negative or positive, as well as how folks might integrate/record them differently.
    Brandon

4. 94prs22

Oh, for what it's worth, the same clean amp settings were used throughout and the overdrive tones are from a Clay Jones Overdrive.
    Brandon

5. MattB

MattB Member

I would pull the samples back in the mix a bit and use them less. Cool idea though.