1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Workstation learning curve

Discussion in 'Keyboards' started by Darl, Nov 22, 2017.

1. Darl

Darl Supporting Member

I bought a used Yamaha MOX6 and have finally gotten a chance to sit down with the manual and start learning how to use it - the sequencer modes (Song and Pattern) are my main interest. What strikes me about the MOX6 is that without the manual I am totally lost - I got nowhere with just poking around at the buttons.

Are there some workstations that are more intuitive in use, or is there basically an inevitable tradeoff between deep functionality and complexity of use? The MOX6 is not impossible, but it's going to take me several more hours of concentrated study to learn how to use it and I've been surprised so far at that aspect. I'm a guitar player so not naturally versed in synths and workstations.

2. GovernorSilver

GovernorSilver Member

My experience w/ the Korg M3 isn't much better. There's hardly anything I learned to do on it without watching tutorial videos and trying to read the manual.

Emu Command Station was the easiest to use of the workstations. Just read the quick start section once, then was recording my first pattern already.

3. Devnor

Devnor Member

Until you understand the Yamaha way of doing things, you just can't wing it esp if it's your first workstation. I think all workstations are much more difficult to use creatively vs a computer based sequencer. Even the Kronos with it's giant screen is just a drag to use.

4. jomama2

jomama2 Member

As I just said elsewhere, IMO Roland leads the pack in this regard and Yamaha is last. Generally I've found the majority of keyboardists agree.....

Gurn and IGuitUpIGuitDown like this.
  5. Darl

Darl Supporting Member

Oh wow so I got the toughest one! I'm slowly figuring out how to use it. What I don't like - and maybe this is user error - but when playing a sequence you can't go back into recording mode without stopping the sequence. Have to stop, then hit record, then get the metronome count in.

6. IGuitUpIGuitDown

IGuitUpIGuitDown Member

I agree that a Roland seems a bit easier to glean.
    That's why I bought a VR-09.

Does anyone know if I can play vsts through it like a MIDI controller keyboard?
    Love what's on it but want more synth voice sounds...

7. Devnor

Devnor Member

8. stevel

stevel Member

It's hard for me to answer because I've got enough experience with them it's hard to look back to a time when I didn't.

Also, it's something I've noticed some people just "get" and others don't - not unlike programming the clock on the VCR if you remember that, or all these guitarists who buy multi-fx pedals and can't figure them out.

Sequencers work as multi-track recorders and unless you understand that principle, yes, you're going to have to learn that first.

There are some that are implemented better (or worse) but one major factor can be screen size - all of that editing is much easier on a larger screen for one, and if it's touch screen, all the better!

Where do you need help with the Sequencer?

Have you tried You Tube for a tutorial?

What about the Yamaha forums?

9. JWDubois

JWDubois Member

The Yamaha interface is pretty challenging. If I was intent on getting sequences into my MOXF8 as Yamaha “songs”, I’d use Reaper on my laptop to record and edit the MIDI externally, then record the finished MIDI sequences into the MOXF, either as full length tracks or as A,B,C,D “phrases”, and then assemble the songs on the Yamaha.

That sounds complicated, but if you do a lot takes and editing like I do, it’s easier than editing on the Yamaha.

10. Darl

Darl Supporting Member

Thanks I just found this site the other day when trying to figure out how to get the keyboard to power up to Voice mode rather than Performance mode when first turning it on. It's not clear to me that you can choose a Voice however - it seems like it has to be the first piano preset. Couldn't find any of this in the manual.

11. Darl

Darl Supporting Member

Thanks. I'm building sequences in Pattern mode. it doesn't seem possible after track 1 is recorded to then select another track (using the track buttons on top of the keyboard) and immediately start recording a new layer. From what I can tell, the completed track must be stopped, then track 2 (and its voice) selected, then hit the record button.

I had a Roland fantom back in 2003 which i recall building sequences without stopping the playback. Maybe I'm remembering wrong - it was a long time ago.

12. Darl

Darl Supporting Member

I think you're right but I'm not going to turn on the computer and deal with software. Most of the time I just want to sit at the keyboard and noodle around with rhythms and baselines etc and get them down on a Zoom R24 which stays connected.

13. JWDubois

JWDubois Member

I understand. That's what I wanted to do too. Unfortunately my keyboard playing is so sloppy that I either need a lot of takes, have to use too much quantization, or have to do a lot of editing, so a SW editor is easier for me.

Just doing basic recording on the Yamaha is not all that hard. The Motifator site is definitely the place to get the information you need.

14. Gurn

Gurn Silver Supporting Member

Yamaha synths have been notoriously difficult for decades.
    Maybe it’s something in the corporate culture. Dunno.

Rolands are the easiest to master in my experience.