world's fastest guitar player

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by DrSax, Jan 14, 2011.

1. 3leggeddog

3leggeddog Member

Everyone is missing the point. This performance isnt supposed to evoke raw feeling and emotion...the focus isn't even supposed to be on the 'song'. This is simply a blatant demonstration of speed/precision, and on that level this guy was pretty impressive.

2. DrSax

DrSax Member

This. I took it solely as a sporting event, like who can run the 100 meters fastest. Didn't even think to approach it as "how musical". Strictly a freak show, and a damn good one! I probably should have put it in the Pub, actually, not the Sound Lounge.

3. jaycee

jaycee Member

Some of you guys are too funny. I think it's extremely impressive even if it is mostly chromatic bumble bee stuff. I don't feel the need to get my technique to that level but he played it well and clean. Just cause you can't do it doesn't mean it sucks. That's the attitude some have. I'd like to be able to whip out something that fast and clean maybe for a moment but that's not my general style. Whatever.

4. djdrdave

djdrdave Member

You know what is kind of tough? Im a runner and when training for marathons you have to put in lots of slow miles. For runners its hard to run slow when you want to run fast. Its probably the same for someone who can play so quick. Hes probably bored playing slow and wont pull it off as well as someone who is used to playing at slower speeds.

5. djdrdave

djdrdave Member

Who is he anyways havewe figured that out?

6. gpro34

gpro34 Member

This is a repeating theme here on TGP. Blues guys will hate this and dismiss it as crap. Shred heads will love it. There is without a doubt some jealousy. Most blues players are not that athletically inclined. Most blues guys I know can't use their pinky. I mean the intent of this performance is not to play with feel. I like blues... don't get me wrong, but why bash someone who obviously has tremendous talent? I don't like opera but I can appreciate the talent. Despite popular TGP opinion, you can play fast and play with feeling. By no means are they mutually exclusive.

7. parker

parker Member

8. Killcrop

Killcrop Supporting Member

He muted the whole piece. Lame.

9. Craig Walker

Craig Walker "Anger, fear, aggression. The Bark Side are they" Gold Supporting Member

Makes me appreciate Ying-way.

10. aliensporebomb

aliensporebomb Member

He overdubbed the piece sitting down in his home studio to get that precision. There's another youtube video of him playing that record attempt from the audience and while he hits that speed, onstage he's just not as precise and made numerous mistakes.

I still appreciate Shawn Lane more as a musical player too.

11. Johns7022

Johns7022 Senior Member

Just a thought....

The defacto standard method for determining speed is using the major scale...that's one hit, per one note fretted.

I smelled the BS in the clip when I saw the slower BPMs, and they were much faster then actual...

Go to Fast Metronome and put in 250...that's about what I do the major scale cleanly......you don't need trem picking for that.

12. DGTCrazy

DGTCrazy Mod Squad Staff Member

Now we know why guitar playing, specifically the Guitar Solo, has become irrelevant in today's Popular music culture. A good case in point why faster is not always better. I applaud anyone with the coordination to play with speed....but if it's void of emotion (in other words...speed for the sake of speed), it looses it's appeal in a few minutes, because the rapid repitition fatigues the listener IMHO.

13. jezzzz2003

jezzzz2003 Member

OMG...... Is this thing for real?