World's greatest preamp for guitars?

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by elambo, Jun 5, 2006.

1. elambo

elambo Member

Not an easy question, and not one with a definitive answer, but in "my opinion" I've just heard the best preamp for recording electric guitars. Chandler Germanium. I've been using a Neve 1272 prior to today and with fantastic results, but after using the Germanium (called "Germ" by many) I can say without a doubt that the Neve doesn't have a chance anymore.

I've been using what could be considered hi-fi gear (Suhr guitars, BJF pedals, Two Rock amp into Palmer PGA-03, then into Neve) and my only complaint was that the sound was... too hi-fi. Too articulate, if that makes sense. Recording with the same chain now, but with the Germ instead of the Neve, everything I love about my setup remains, but is now just better. I'm not able to throw out a better adjective because I don't have one yet. It's very difficult to describe - sort of like warm creme poured on top of an already delicious tone. More guts. More weight without muddiness - bigger, warmer, and slices better through a track. Yes, hard to describe. It's NOT a clean preamp, but what color it does add you're bound to like, and prefer to keep.

They're still pretty new, but don't be surprised if you start to hear more and more about this preamp.

I have yet to use this for bass or vocals or anything else, but word on the street is that it's no slouch there either (supposed to be fantastic for bass - I can't wait). Certainly for some things all this color won't be wanted.

2. gassyndrome

gassyndrome Member

Have any before/after clips with your different setups? I'd be very interested to hear them :)

3. elambo

elambo Member

That's a good idea. It's still easy for me to patch into the Neve instead of the Germ so the A/B clip would be easy. I'll try to do that soon and post it here.

4. loudboy

loudboy Member

What mics are you using?

Loudboy

5. thesedaze

thesedaze Member

I'm quit the fan of the Universal Audio Solo|610 tube pre/DI box. Great on guitars and vocals.

6. elambo

elambo Member

I record direct primarily. Pedal board --> Two Rock custom sig --> Palmer PGA-03 --> Germanium --> ProTools.

Or my pedal board can be patched into an Egnater rack of modules (Twin, Vox, Plexi and SuperLead) --> Palmer PDI-09 --> Germ...etc.

If I mic a cab, it's a Two Rock cab and I usually use an sm57. pretty basic.

7. elambo

elambo Member

I like that preamp also. I still have one, but I like the 1272 better on guitars, and, now, the Germanium even moreso than that. The 610, as you said, is great on vocals, but where I think it shines is bass. Very nice.

8. TAVD

TAVD Guitar Player Gold Supporting Member

I regret not buying a germ when they were introduced @ $850. I was hoping for an API 500 version but I guess that isn't going to happen. Oh Well. I have a Buzz Elixir coming this week and you can bet I'll be trying it on a 4x12 first.

9. elambo

elambo Member

I hear ya - I wish I'd bought two at that price. I got the very last one from Mercenary at the intro price... that is until they extended it another month. I may just spring for another one but it bites my ass that I have to pay so much this time around.

10. UnderTheGroove

UnderTheGroove Supporting Member

I've heard great things about the Germanium, and also wish I would have bought one at the intro price. It would be great to hear some comparison clips of your two pres.

I'm using a Great River MP2NV and have been very happy with the results on guitars (and everything else).

11. Rusty G.

Rusty G. Member

I also use the Great River into my Pro Tools TDM setup. Don't go the direct route. Always mic the guitars and couldn't be happier. I do run the Bass direct.

So, what's your take on the Germ. How does it sound as opposed to the Great River/Neve circuit?

12. tedm

tedm Gold Supporting Member

How does it compare with a 1084?

13. elambo

elambo Member

Based on memory, since I don't currently own a 1084, I'd say that I'd prefer the Germanium. For MOST guitar parts, not all. There will still be times where I switch back to the 1272, when I need a cleaner tone for instance.

I had a chance today to make a comparison clip of the 1272 and Germ, but the chance disappeared. I will try to do this at some point because I think you'd all be surprised.

14. bjm007

bjm007 Member

I'd love to hear the comparison too. I've bought some great gear from Mercenary including a Great River MP2NV which does the trick for me, but the Chandler sounds interesting to say the least... I'm dyin to hear it...........

[​IMG]

15. ricoh

ricoh Member

I don't know about the "greatest"...............but I got a really great sound -w- a GT Brick and an EH Ribbon mic. Really warm and articulate as well.