• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Worship Player Drive Section

peasencarrots

O'Lord (no pun intended) i hate to even ask this but I want some advice on overdrive sections of lead and rhythm worship players. Ive had a ton of overdrives and have stuck with what I've had for a while now, but I'm kinda bored.

Current set up:
>Humbucker Les Paul
>AC15 (pretty clean setting)
>JHS Morning Glory (always on/slight breakup)
>Fulltone Fulldrive 3 Black Edition (about medium drive I use for choruses and anything that needs som umphf with a low boost setting that i barely use)

I'd like to keep my Morning Glory as a first stage always on drive, I'd just like to stack with 2 more stages of drive each getting a bit dirtier that the other.

I've been thinking of the:
>Bondi Sick As
>Emerson Paramount
>JHS Moonshine
>Walrus Audio Mayflower

what do you guys like and use?

thanks for you input!

NHBluesMan

a TS style is always good for lead lines. I right now run 3 drives; one 2 TS style and one more open/transparent sounding OD, but one of the TS's is gonna get swapped for something with a Marshall flavor. Honestly i think if you run your Fulltone before the MG, leave the MG always on then boost it with either side of the FD3 depending on how much gain you need (stacking all 3 for leads). If you're gonna add anything, i'd say the Emerson Paramount of the Moonshine

Lionel Hutz

The JHS moonshine seems to get a lot of praise around here, but I don't know if it is suited for your average worship player.

crambone

I'm in the minority of P&W players in that I have only 2 drives on my board (LGW for high-gain and Soul Food for low-gain) and I never stack. One or the other.

I do have a boost (EP Booster) but I only use that when I am doing volume swells, and even then it's only at 9 o'clock.

ProfG

I just run an Ethos Overdrive Preamp direct. Sometimes play the clean channel, but mostly stay on the overdrive channel and hit the boost if I need more. I have other drive pedals, but the Ethos, along with volume knobs and pickup selection, is all I really need for a range of gains.

alguit

Silver Supporting Member
I have two boards and, depending on the songs each week, use combinations of a Bogner Wessex or Wampler Black '65 for light to medium drives and then a Crazy Tube Circuits Starlight or a Wampler Velvet Fuzz for leads. If a Marshall sound is called for, either a Weehbo JCM Drive or a Wampler Plexi-Drive Deluxe get the Velcro call!

Buck Naked

I like the Bondi Sick As a lot. The CMATMods Butah and Signa Drive are great also. My personal SECOND drive stacked with the MG is a low gain setting Rockett Animal with the switch in the up position. I also run the MG after my other two drives. That might help.

Last edited:

jeffinaustin

Silver Supporting Member
I have a Morning Glory mostly always on witha Skreddy Screwdriver set for a sorta-fuzzy low-mid thing before it and a Prince of Tone as a dirty boost after. Covers a ton of ground.

crxshdxmmy

The Paul Cochrane Timmy has been the cornerstone of my P&W board since 2008. It's usually been paired with a fuzz or another drive.

Timmy + Skreddy Ernie
Timmy + Skreddy Lunar Module
Timmy + Mad Professor Sweet Honey OD
Timmy + Bearfoot FX HBOD
Timmy + Mad Professor Little Green Wonder
Timmy + Paul Trombetta Mini Bone

Those were the longest lasting (and best) combinations I found. Currently I'm still using the Timmy and Mini Bone (which has been the case since early 2013), but I upsized my board last year and added a Catalinbread Dirty Little Secret MK3 to the mix.

While the Timmy had been my primary OD sound for years, I'm really relying on it more as the "more" pedal in front of the DLS, which I have set up for a mild OD sound. When I really want to kick in some extra gain and saturation, I'll add the Timmy. And the Mini Bone gets stacked into the DLS for my lead tone... with a post-drive booster added if I need more volume.

Playpunk

I don't like the Morning Glory as a stand alone - I find it a little thin and wimpy. I do like a chunked up Bluesbreaker type circuit, though, and I find that it stacks really really well with a JFET based drive. I have a Madbean 8 Ball (bluesbreaker type) into a Supreaux Deux (JHS cloned this to make the superbolt) and it is a really good combination.

I don't really like stacking opamp based drives, as I find the distortion characteristics too grainy. That said, I have a bunch of combo opamp drives, which I typically use one at a time.

You might want to check out something like the Function F(x) third rail - a dual JFET drive, and stack one or both of the sides with an opamp drive.

teefus

i use 2 rawkworks night o.d.'s on my board. one set for medium gain and the other one set lower. they don't compress at all and allow me to pop in the mix better.

reo73

Currently on my board in signal order is a lower gain TS Clone, a Rat Clone, a Maestro Fuzz Clone, a King of Tone, and a Kaden Pavo Boost (usually always on). For probably 90% of what I play I use the King of Tone.

peasencarrots

...i think if you run your Fulltone before the MG, leave the MG always on then boost it with either side of the FD3 depending on how much gain you need (stacking all 3 for leads). If you're gonna add anything, i'd say the Emerson Paramount of the Moonshine
sounds like I should def try placing my morning glory after some overdrives since i like that breakup and it could fill out the Morning Glory.

JHS Superbolt (along with Morning Glory) is very popular with the guys at my church
& what makes me sick is I just sold my SuperBolt - Ive had it twice now and each time i feel like I shouldn't have.

thanks for all the input - Keep it comin!

Kluch

I'm going to go a different direction just cuz I love this drive. But as a fellow P&W dude, I highly recommend the Visual sound VS-XO. Great dual stage drive, very tweakable and could be used for many an application.

Cgkindler

Keeley RedDirt.....best pedal I've ever played for the TS sound but with more clarity, more guts, more glory!

I've also come to love my Rook Royale, and relied on the second stomp (EP3 style boost) to give me that girth I need if I feel it's lacking)

There's always the mainstay BB Pre......it'll give ya what you need without lighting the folks' ears up!

Good luck with the search!

Get a Lovepedal Les Lius or HP Twin. Use it before an overdrive, but as a boost or for added drive. It adds a thick, loose nature to tighter overdrives like a TS, and although I hate this term, it will add a "chewy" character to leads.

It also doubles as an edgy drive/fuzz, and you LP pickups will push it into some saggy saturation if you're into that.

coltonius

Señor Member
I'm in the minority of P&W players in that I have only 2 drives on my board (LGW for high-gain and Soul Food for low-gain) and I never stack. One or the other.

I do have a boost (EP Booster) but I only use that when I am doing volume swells, and even then it's only at 9 o'clock.
I'm with you, unless we're counting fuzz. Then I'm at 3!

Steve Hotra

Gold Supporting Member
I understand this, too.
For me, I went with a Sarno Earth Drive - into a Wampler Paisley OD. Not too many P/W players use these two pedals on their boards. My other board has a Rook Royale.
I want to add a different flavor whenever I play.
I've got past the mindset that its the pedals will make you play / sound better.
For me, its being able to add something new / different to my music.
YMMV

Trending Topics