Worship Team setup

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by spyrotheleo, Mar 14, 2008.

1. spyrotheleo

spyrotheleo Member

For all of you who play on a worship team, please list your setup and what songs you guys play. For me, I use a ...
    Fender Showmaster Blackout
    Ibanez Rg1570
    Friends 67 gibson dove(man its nice!)
    Thd Bivalve
    Jekyll and Hyde
    Boss dd-20
    Planet Wave gold played chord

And we play a lot of David crowder, chris tomlin, hillsong united, and kutless.

2. beNsteR

beNsteR Member

at church, i use any of the guitars in my sig, into:

RMC picture wah
    RC Booster
    Sunburst Eternity
    Menatone KOTB & TBIAC (marshall & vox)
    Barber Barb EQ (set to blackface eq)
    Empress trem
    Boss DD20
    Palmer PDI09 speaker sim DI box

direct to house.

we play a mix of hillsong united, planet shakers, paradise band, chris tomlin, hosanna/integrity, & also originals.

here's a streaming video of my church's youth service worship segment from 2 weeks ago..

http://www.fcbc.org.sg/linktracker.asp?name=feb10_e_768K_W_Y_wmv&id=1377

3. spyrotheleo

spyrotheleo Member

Also, I was wondering, what are some good delay settings for the dd-20

4. beNsteR

beNsteR Member

its good to get an external tap tempo pedal for the DD20.

for hillsong united/U2-ish stuff,

i use the standard delay, set to the dotted 8th note tempo setting, tempo around 300ms (depends on the song). 3 repeats, repeat volume around 12 o clock.

search youtube for 'hillsong united delay' for a demo

for slower songs i like the analog delay model.

5. daddyo

daddyo Guest

6. Pietro

Pietro 2-Voice Guitar Junkie and All-Around Awesome Guy

I play one of the guitars listed below, always in stereo. All my electrics are two-voice, and my Wechter acoustic doesn't get much plugged in time since the arrival of this almost a year and a half ago.

[​IMG]

That and my PRS Standard 24 are my main axes now.

I run the electric side through a ToneLab SE, the acoustic side through a yamaha AG Stomp, I mix them through a little Mackie 1202, send it to the house and monitor on stage through an old Acoustasonic Junior. This way I control the mix, not the sound man. The sound is great, the layering of the Acoustic and Electric is what I live for now.

I can go from straight acoustic to full on electric (with acoustic on top) for a song that requires huge dynamics (like "The Glory of it All" which we are doing to start our Easter service), and all the way back to small acoustic only. If I have other electric players on stage, I wait to dial in the electric till the real climax of the song.

It works great. I'll never play just electric or just acoustic again.

7. Bantha

Bantha Member

We play Hillsong, Delirious, U2ish stuff, some SRV sounding stuff (yeah thats right, I get to play the blues at church), Matt Redmon, some Police sounding stuff, etc.

Guitars: Am Del Strats (one mahogany, one ash), 74 Tele, PRS McCarty, Abyss (this is mine but with inlay: www.abyssguitars.com/models/standard_electric_guitar.htm), 1981 LP, 1988 LP cust

Amps: Vox AC30, /13 FTR37

Effects: EB Jr Vol, Peterson Strobostomp, Vox Wah (modded), Keeley comp, Keeley 808, Timmy, FDII mosfet, Landgraff DO, Landgraff Mo'D, Boss Jap CH2, Halo Chorus, Keeley modded Boss Trem, Deep Blue Delay, Line6DL4
    Most of these are in an 8 loop LoopMaster with bypass and tuner out.

Changes coming: looking for a new delay to replace the DL4, maybe TC 2290, adding Fuzz Factory,

8. gregc

gregc Supporting Member

What's a worship team? Is there some competition with other teams? How many teams are in the league? Do you have try-outs, or can anyone join? Experience necessary? Is there a 'mixed league'?
    Thanks!

9. Jahn

Jahn Listens to Johnny Marr, plays like John Denver Supporting Member

10. Fndrbndr

Fndrbndr Member

I'm one of 5 or 6 regular guitar players at my church (New Life Church in Colorado Springs). Here's what I use:

Guitars: 1987-ish Fender Strat Plus and a couple of franken-strats loaded with EMG's

Effects: Whammy reissue (through a Keeley Looper) > homebrew Orange Squeezer/Ross dual compressor > Ernie Ball volume pedal > homebrew BYOC Tri-Boost > modded Boss SD1 > homebrew Runoff Groove "Thor" > Teese RMC 1 > Seymour Duncan Shape Shifter > Boss DD-20 > Line 6 DL-4 > MXR Micro Amp

Amp: Vox AC-30 CC1

We write most of our own worship songs, but also do some Hillsong United, Chris Tomlin, etc.

11. Scott Auld

Scott Auld Staff Member

LOL

12. lchyi

lchyi Member

Nope, it's just vernacular for a particular portion of ministry. Some people call it music ministry, some people call it worship ministry, but a widely used term is worship team. But no, no competition but experience is necessary to facilitate a good worship environment without too much distraction.

13. lchyi

lchyi Member

How's the electric tone on this? You mention that there's an acoustic top to it so does that mean it has that string snap and pop?

I remember thinking the same thing about a Taylor T5 and I ended up being less than impressed with a dual purpose guitar. Seems like you are compromising both when playing it.

14. Fndrbndr

Fndrbndr Member

I think gregc was being sarcastic...

15. jcoggins7

jcoggins7 Member

I use everything listed in my sig when I play at church (Cross Point in Nashville and First Baptist in Simpsonville). As most of the guys here, we play David Crowder, Chris Tomlin, Hillsong, Third Day, and anything else that sounds like that. Occasionally (very, very rarely) we'll play a song that's "secular", but they always fit in with the sermon in some way.

As for other guitarists' guitars, I've seen Les Pauls, Strats, Teles, Parker Flys, and SGs, though I'm sure I've seen other stuff. I've also seen amp-wise Carvins, Fenders, Peaveys, Bad Cats, Line 6s, Goodsells, Voxes, and Marshalls.

16. Pietro

I tried the T5. It played good, looked great, sounded (imho) terrible. When I saw that it had no way to run acoustic and electric output separately, I just handed it back to the guy in the store and said no thanks and saved up my money for the Crowdster Plus. (I already had had two different Godin two-voice guitars at this point, still own one of them.)

The electric tone, being only one pickup, is indeed somewhat limited, but the difference between this and the T5 (a complete design failure imho) is extreme. First off, the acoustic tone in the Anderson is better than ANY plugged-in acoustic guitar I've ever used... period. The electric side is just the one lead pickup, but it is a pickup that has been specially made to work with acoustic, not electric strings (probably some of why the acoustic side sounds so good, too.)

If you're looking for a great electric guitar with a dash of acoustic sounds, this ain't it. If you're looking for a FANTASTIC sounding acoustic guitar with the ability to lay on or switch to (remember it's stereo output, unlike the T5, which is, maddeningly, not) a really good electric sound, it's great. To make the best of this guitar, you really want to process acoustic and electric independently, otherwise, you're compromising one or both. But if you run something like this in stereo... WATCH OUT! My acoustic tone is the best of any of the guys who play at our church imho (one other guy comes REAL close with a Gibson), and the electric tone is very use-able.

17. Tone_Terrific

Tone_Terrific Supporting Member

This church thing must vary a LOT.
    I play a barely amplified acoustic/pickup (must keep below level of acoustic piano or else I am too loud) DI'd for house spread. The music chosen is quite complex, however, the musical director is an ace classical, jazz, choir, player/composer.

18. TIG

TIG Member

Grosh Retro Classic..Sparkle Drive...Princeton Reverb..simple and oh so sweet!!!!

19. stratotonedude

stratotonedude Senior Member

Do you get paid playing in a worship team?

20. Pietro

You do if you work full time for the church, as I do.

Cool gig, too.;)