Worship Team: Zoom G5 or Line6 Floor HD or...

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by forgivenman, Mar 13, 2015.

1. forgivenman

forgivenman Supporting Member

Hi Guys- I'm looking an affordable but still great sounding floor unit with plenty of flexibility for our little youth praise team. I've enjoyed my little Tech21 Flyrig5 but I feel a little limited as far as modulation and different amp models go. We play a mixture of contemporary and traditional songs. What would you recommend?

I will be playing (most likely) my Epi Les Paul with a Gibson Burstbucker Pro in the Neck and a SD JB in the bridge. As always, I really appreciate your input. My budget is $300 or less. Thanks!

2. Gaetano Capuano

Gaetano Capuano Member

Biggest problem with the zoom is no spillover or trails. So when u turn a delay of it cuts off etc.... Otherwise Zoom would be a no brainier, definitely go used HD500

3. Mrmeatball

Mrmeatball Member

Zoom g5 is far easier to get good sounds out of, fx chains can be really flexible, hd500 costs more, does more but you need to like tweaking because you'll be doing a lot of it, how about the Firehawk? it has the amp models from the hd500 and is easy to set up patches

4. Michael_V

Michael_V Supporting Member

Why not a Pod XT or X3 floorboard? IMHO, those are easier to tweak than the HD series and can be gotten for a song used.

5. chuskey

chuskey Member

I've used the XT Live, X3, and now HD500X for worship services and I briefly tried/owned a G3 as a backup unit.

The HD500 has been the best unit for this, by far. Especially with the flexibility in effects routing. A lot of P&W music can benefit from U2ish tones and ambient sounds. Being able to freely assign effects on the HD is great for this.

During a typical service I like using it like a pedal board. I'll have say a AC30 amp model and then use effect slots for all the tone changes needed.

It takes some tweaking to get things right, but to me that's part of the fun.

6. dshobe

dshobe Rocky Mountain Way Silver Supporting Member

I'd recommend the HD500x as well. It sounds great. There was one in the Emporium for $300, but it sold rather quick.

7. shawn w

shawn w Member

Funny, I've gone the opposite direction. I used the line ups with most all the Pods, endiing with the HD500. Now I'm using the Flyrig with a tuner, volume pedal and Klonish clone pedal. What I found is that even with all the options, I really only ended up using a couple of patches anyway. You might think about just adding the couple sounds/pedals with the Flyrig that your needing.
    shawn

8. metropolis_4

metropolis_4 Member

If it was me, I'd buy a Vox AmPlug ac30, then spend $270 on pedals to go with it.

But, the HD500 is also a great way to go :)

9. lostpoet2

lostpoet2 Supporting Member

I would keep the fly rig and add a few pedals on something like a Pedaltrain Jr.

10. dhbret

dhbret Member

Yeah, keep the flyrig and add zoom's MS-70CDR. You'll have everything you need.

11. Zacflame

Zacflame Member

Second that

12. Jdstrat

Jdstrat Supporting Member

If there's no one around who knows the HD500x, I'd avoid it. But if someone will take the time to learn it and set up the patches (and work with the sound guy to make it play well with others), there are some really nice effects in there beyond just dirt. Super easy to set up dotted eighth and quarter delays, and the particle verb provides a really nice pad.

Don't buy a used HD500, go for the HD500x with the improved footswitches, if you go the Pod route.

13. DG_Griffin

DG_Griffin Member

I play P&W and just picked up a Fly Rig. I'm loving the tones from it right now. I still have my pedalboard that I may start using with it, but right now it's kinda nice to just use this little guy. I would keep that and just add some pieces to it. Maybe an M5/9 or a Zoom G3 for added mods/delays.

Facebook.com/FTRband

14. dmock66

dmock66 Member

I would second the idea of keeping the FlyRig and adding something like the M9. I've used an M9 with every MFX I have used for the past 4 years. It has a lot of flexibility, allows you to stack delays/effects, easy to get the dotted 8th note delays so prominent in P&W music. If you like the tones you're getting from the FlyRig I might add a dirt box in front, just to give you different gain flavors, and a M9 behind it.

15. patrick2099

patrick2099 Member

I have both and prefer the HD500 for a couple of reasons. I can get good sounds out of both. I like the high gain sounds of the HD500 better and the medium gain of the G5 better.

The main reason that I prefer the HD500 is that it is easier to go up an down levels without pressing multiple buttons. I have big feet, and having to press two on the G5 is hard. If you have smaller feet, it may not be as big of a deal. I also like the expression pedal better on the HD500. I use it for the wah, and it is actually usable, which kind of surprised me.

The Zoom does seem easier to use and easier to get good sounds out of.

16. Gaetano Capuano

Gaetano Capuano Member

Hmmmm am I the only PW guy that no trails on the Zoom is a deal breaker?

17. forgivenman

forgivenman Supporting Member

Thanks for the suggestions and keep em coming! Right now you guys are convincing me to keep working with the Flyrig and throw my M5 into the mix. I hadn't though of that as I was looking for an all-in-one solution.

18. speedyone

speedyone Supporting Member

Gaetano, I'm with you.

I just got the Amplifire, because the lack of trails was a dealbreaker for me too.

I don't know how to work the tap tempo with the Amplifire yet, but for everything else it's sounding excellent! Getting huge ambient tones is no problem either.

I had the FR5, (and though it had great tones,) I am very happy I sold it to get the Amplifire.

19. russintexas

russintexas Member

Lack of trails doesn't bother me at all. I don't switch patches mid-song, nor turn on/off delays mid-song.

20. dmock66

dmock66 Member

I use a M9 in the loop so trails are taken care of.

I've been playing P&W nearly every Sunday for the past 12+ years. I went to a M9 about 2+ years ago - before that I had a Boss DD-20 in the FX Loop and did the same thing with regard to repeating the trails. I was using it with an 11R, then a Digitech RP360XP and am now flipping to an Atomic AmpliFIRE.

Back to the OP - if you are happy with the FR5 then I'd add an M5 or M9 (which allows up to 3 concurrent effects).