• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

WORST experience selling a guitar?

gtrbarbarian

Gold Supporting Member
Almost a decade ago I sold a very nice Heritage L-5 copy H-550... in excellent condition to a scammer on ebay, who immediately filed a SNAD against me. Over the phone he said he'd send the guitar back in pieces if I didn't kick him back 300 bucks... of course ebay and paypal both sided with him, and that's the last thing over $1000 I've sold on the platform. I also recent had an amp filed SNAD on the other site, The other site demanded I refund the buyer, which I did even though the amps was in the condition specified and it was fully working....and it was sent back with a blown OT. The other site though, after copious 'discussion' with them :-/ they made good and I got full replacement cost back.

Last edited:

jogogonne

No insane, which is a little surprising considering I had to carry guitars and a lot of cash around back in the CL boom, and I have invited total strangers into my home, and been in strangers homes every time, went pretty smooth, at least with guitars.

My worst story is that I bought a nice American strat for like $900 and it was a really nice guitar, I just already had a strat style guitar as my #1, so I never played it. So I tried to sell it for that and the highest offer I think I got was $400.

Some guy actually wrote that his daughter was dying of something and that's her favorite guitar and could I give it to him for $200? I mean, really?

Eventually I found no takers in the burbs, so gave it to my friend in the city, and some kid bought it from him for I think it was $675. They got a really good deal. That strat was in immaculate condition.

jogogonne

Almost a decade ago I sold a very nice Heritage L-5 copy H-550... in excellent condition to a scammer on ebay, who immediately filed a SNAD against me. Over the phone he said he'd send the guitar back in pieces if I didn't kick him back 300 bucks... of course ebay and paypal both sided with him, and that's the last thing over $1000 I've sold on the platform. I also recent had an amp filed SNAD on Reverb, Reverb demanded I refund the buyer, which I did even though the amps was in the condition specified and it was fully working....and it was sent back with a blown OT. Reverb though, after copious 'discussion' with them :-/ they made good and I got full replacement cost back.
Not a guitar experience, but eBay actually has a refund system sellers can take advantage of.

A phone seller sold me a phone that had a large crack, not shown in photos. The way the crack was, I knew it was not from shipping. I sent it back and he only gave me a partial refund accusing me of having damaged it.

I left him negative feedback and he was immediately able to get it removed because he had given me a refund, albeit partial.

I filed with eBay and they refunded me the difference and didn't even really care when I told them the seller was trying to take advantage of their policies.

gtrbarbarian

Gold Supporting Member
Not a guitar experience, but eBay actually has a refund system sellers can take advantage of.

A phone seller sold me a phone that had a large crack, not shown in photos. The way the crack was, I knew it was not from shipping. I sent it back and he only gave me a partial refund accusing me of having damaged it.

I left him negative feedback and he was immediately able to get it removed because he had given me a refund, albeit partial.

I filed with eBay and they refunded me the difference and didn't even really care when I told them the seller was trying to take advantage of their policies.
The evidence of sellers scamming is pretty hard to cover up...if any company sees a seller over and over pulling the same trick...they're going to catch on. That seller may have gotten away with that one time...but if there appears to be a pattern...their account will be terminated. And I'd say the number of frauds or abuses perpetrated by sellers, whose whole reputation is based on feedback, is small compared to those by buyers. Buyers can scam all day long...Bought and didn't realize (?) that it's a binding deal? CANCEL AUCTION ...don't like an item? SNAD, they broke the item? SNAD bought and then their car broke down? SNAD They bought a vintage item described to be in very good condition and it's not mint? SNAD lol

Beyond the OT being blown, there was also damage done in return shipping due to a crapola packing job by the buyer. I had ample proof between photos from both me and the buyer, plus video. I provided a list of what it would cost to make the amp whole, and offered that they set up and negotatiate the cost of repair at a local shop of their choice, so I just had to drop off and pick up.That way they could see my estimates were on the mark and I would have nothing to do with repair cost. They chose to not go that route. The odds were in said company's favor that I wasn't a scammer with my 22 years with ebay and 100% rating...same 100% rating on reverb. They did the right thing, which is why I'm letting dead dogs lie.

I'm strictly a CL seller. Don't want the added headaches -- so well documented in this thread -- of packing and long-distance haggling and returns.
CL is a haven for trolls. Here's how I avoid them. I tell potential customers that I won't respond to emails or texts. Phone calls only. Trolls fade away, apparently not wanting my phone to reveal their phone number. The calls I get are from serious people who ask serious questions.
I do not leave home to meet them. They come to me, just like they go to a store. I've never had a scumbag arrive. If the buyer is coming from outside my CL area, I'll knock a bit off the price. Buyer gets opportunity to inspect and test-drive the gear. Money changes hands. Never had a later claim for a refund.

mad dog

Gold Supporting Member
My worst experience selling a guitar was not due to the buyer ... it came down to the guy who'd sold me the guitar, or a previous owner. A really nice Heritage H525, purchased on another guitar site. Nothing disclosed as far as mods/changes, and I noticed nothing. Couple years later, I have to sell. Put it up on CL. Got a guy interested, agreed to meet him halfway at a guitar center. So he pulls it out of the case, plays it, digs it. Looks everything over carefully, with a little flashlight. Then shines the light into the f-hole, says "look at this". The light was clearly visible, peaking out from the edge of the dog ear P-90. Both sides of the dog ear, both p/us.

The guy who sold it to me (or the guy who sold it to him) had routed out the P-90 holes to put in humbuckers. Then somebody put the P90s back on. They almost covered the holes. So close, I never noticed, and would never have known until that guy shone the light. I had never looked close enough to find it. Why not??

I was so embarrassed. The buyer was a great guy. He knew I had not known. There was no unpleasantness. He loved the sound and feel, so we negotiated a price. I took a hit, but he still bought it. For that I am happy. Not so happy that I got rooked and didn't know. Not happy at all on that score.

Trending Topics