Worst guitar ever - technical reasons?

curtis

I cant even think of a title for this thread that sums up how I feel about this guitar. The ridiculousness of it, the time it took someone to make it, the payback in tone and playability...ouch.

Its one of those pics I look at from time to time for a chuckle...although I cant quite make up my mind if whoever built it would laugh or cry.

'kind of reminds me of Homer Simpsons self designed super car

The reason I'm posting it here is the multiple examples of what not to do when designing/ building a guitar...

I can imagine the initial design spec:

Original shape - something never done before,
at least 24 frets (the more the merrier),
it shouldnt fall over when resting against an amp,
gold hardware,
do something original with the pot placement,
not too 'body heavy',
semi precious fret markers - (dont have to be inlayed)
signature truss rod cover.

..........and absolutely has to R.O.C.K.

enjoy!

khromo231

My theory is the luthier had some lumber that he liked, I mean he really LIKED it, and when it came time to lay out the body, he just couldn't bear to waste any more of that lumber than was absolutely necessary. Hence the body shape.

Soapbarstrat

I don't see any sign of a custom fit case. Don't tell me there's no custom fit case. You can't take chances like that on these one of a kind prototypes.
All it takes is someone with a hand-saw looking for two door stops and it's all over.

Kappy

Is the guy who built that a dentist? Or did he play a lot of Space Invaders when he was a kid?

Chris Scott

I don't see any sign of a custom fit case. Don't tell me there's no custom fit case. You can't take chances like that on these one of a kind prototypes.
All it takes is someone with a hand-saw looking for two door stops and it's all over.
lol!!!

walterw

Platinum Supporting Member
henry's going to be furious when he finds out that pictures of the revised hendrix guitar have already leaked.

curtis

C'mon, at least there's plenty of room for your hand to get to the 40th fret...

By rights the maker should really do the decent thing and impale himself on it

puckhead

what the holy hell?

if he owner spins that sucker around, he could skewer his bandmates.
That would be something to see, though.

Brett Faust

I have never seen a guitar with no curves,makes me wonder if it has a hard V neck profile.
It looks like the guitar Superman would keep at the crystal fortress,maybe it actually came from Krypton.

There are advantages to the design.

With all those frets and that shape you can pack light and leave the dog whistle and guitar stand at home.
Perhaps the horns also function as a tuning fork of sorts,adding resonance to the body.
Who knows ,it could be a great jazz guitar.
I think if he used a single coil on the next one he could get a 48th fret on there to give it a four octave neck.
I have to give credit for original design, even if it is not to my taste.

franchelB

I cant even think of a title for this thread that sums up how I feel about this guitar. The ridiculousness of it, the time it took someone to make it, the payback in tone and playability...ouch.

Its one of those pics I look at from time to time for a chuckle...although I cant quite make up my mind if whoever built it would laugh or cry.

'kind of reminds me of Homer Simpsons self designed super car

The reason I'm posting it here is the multiple examples of what not to do when designing/ building a guitar...

I can imagine the initial design spec:

Original shape - something never done before,
at least 24 frets (the more the merrier),
it shouldnt fall over when resting against an amp,
gold hardware,
do something original with the pot placement,
not too 'body heavy',
semi precious fret markers - (dont have to be inlayed)
signature truss rod cover.

..........and absolutely has to R.O.C.K.

enjoy!

In a crazy, weird way, it looks like Gibson's backwards Flying V:

xzzy

Nice of the builder to put two strap buttons on the bottom.. functions as a righty or a lefty!

Though they forgot to install a strap button on the arms. I guess you have to get the type that loops around the headstock.

Trending Topics