Worst lead solo on rock album

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by LoveDrive, Aug 27, 2010.

1. Tuberoast

Tuberoast Member

Terrible solo

2. matte

matte Senior Member

stairway to heaven.
    hotel california.

3. DrSax

DrSax Member

Not out of time, not awkward note choices. I really like that solo.

Oh Sherri solo is cool too.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2011
  4. Bryan29

Bryan29 Member

I will nominate the EVH solo on "Big Money". The songs us just rocking along, Eddie gives a spirited blues based solo at the start. So you're thinking to yourself that the main solo is just gonna rip.

Then.....

The song totally breaks down for some noodling, scampering scale work on what sounds like (and I think it is) a Strat straight to the board without just some rever and delay.

There are more I don't like but that has to be the one that was bad and let me down at the same time.

5. MrTAteMyBalls

MrTAteMyBalls Member

6. MrTAteMyBalls

MrTAteMyBalls Member

e.c. to the rescue

http://www.livevideo.com/video/B99676FC1F2D40DDAEC3C343104BD74C/the-dirty-mac-yer-blues-liv.aspx

7. MrTAteMyBalls

MrTAteMyBalls Member

wow i have a lot of responses in video.....wierd.

8. pnksntdead

pnksntdead Member

heartbreaker - led zep

9. BBQLS1

BBQLS1 Member

He's been quoted to say he leaves the mistakes in there. Page is often a sloppy lead player. IMO his solos fit and just sound right on that edge of insanity.

10. BBQLS1

BBQLS1 Member

I remember reading several years ago an interview with Slash on his AFD playing. He stated he couldn't play like that anymore because he plays so much and his technical ability improved so much he can't duplicate the sloppiness in his playing then.

It's kind of a shame in a way. I always liked how out of control his playing was on the album.

11. BBQLS1

BBQLS1 Member

That's how I see it. Kerry King was the first I thought of reading through this thread. Slayer writes songs that resemble what is written Revelations, I kinda think his style fits the bill.

Van Halen to me is a totally by feel player and in the decadent 80s, it surely fits the bill.

I couldn't really think of any solos that I hate, but there are probably a few.

12. ZachariahG

ZachariahG Member

13. Beng2040

Beng2040 Supporting Member

I'm with you. I can't believe that solo made it onto a record, let alone a hit single. Painfully bad.

14. fjblair

fjblair Silver Supporting Member

I too think Reelin is overrated. I love SD but that is not one of my favorites.

15. slackandsteel

slackandsteel Member

Noel Redding's solo on "Little Miss Strange" on Hendrix's Axis Bold As Love has got to rate high on the list of worst solos, especially because in the solo he trades licks with Hendrix. Hendrix's playing and tone is like liquid Orange Sunshine sex while Redding's is the polar opposite, dry and brittle.

Horrible song by the way. The only thing that redeems it is Hendrix's playing, especially on the outro.

I've heard that Noel Redding harbored a grudge about being relegated to playing bass in the Experience and thought that his guitar playing should be featured. If his playing on this cut is any indication of his ability, he must have been severely delusional.

16. duckbunny

duckbunny Member

God, anything those guys did early on (that wasn't Wagner & Hunter) was a freakin' embarrasment. Hell, the whole band was a sham, when you think about it.

-db

17. lanny

lanny Member

Although I do appreciate some oddball stuff, that 'solo' is a real head scratcher.

18. Jimmy James

Jimmy James Senior Member

The Firm "Radioactive."

19. evets618

evets618 Senior Member

EC was quoting "Blue Moon". In solos, jazzers quote bits and pieces of melodies from other tunes all the time, usually with intended irony.

20. projam619

projam619 Member

Wow, I guess I beg to differ: IMHO I think that solo's pretty brilliant! Cool atonality going on there; nothing like Jimmy's done before...

I used to think Beastie Boyz "Fight for your Right" solo was terrible! But then I realized that it was played terribly on purpose, a sort of anti-guitar hero solo. So, now I have to say the solos by CC Devllle of Poison are pretty bad....