Worst packing job for an online pedal purchase?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Johnny Moondog, Feb 6, 2015.

1. Johnny Moondog

Johnny Moondog Member

I have a lot of pedals - most of which I have bought online - either from online retailers - or ebay.

Sometimes the pedals are over packaged (like when I order from shop.ca), which is certainly fine.

Sometimes they are underpackaged.

Like the time I won a Danelectro Fab Metal on ebay, and the guy just put the pedal, as is (no box, no padding), in a brown manila envelope.

I didn't say anything - as it was only a $10 purchase.

I once ordered an EHX pedal, and the guy just put a label and postage on the actual pedal box.
    No tape used at all, to keep it closed.
    It's a wonder the box didn't just fall open, and the pedal go missing before it reached me.

How about you guys ?

PS - I once ordered a Hagstrom Deuce guitar - the guy put it in a box that wasn't long enough - so the headstock was just sticking out of a crude hole he tore into the end - yeesh :facepalm

Last edited: Feb 6, 2015
  2. markjsmith

markjsmith Member

Using a small pedal box is fine as long as it's taped shut! It's a pedal, you step on it and sometimes on stage while jumping around so it's built to take some abuse! Granted not everything is built like a tank, but still!

3. 72Telecaster

72Telecaster Silver Supporting Member

I had a DD5 come to me in a big USPS "bubble envelope" that had all but lost all the bubbles. No box or ancillary packing material around the pedal.

4. ((TechnicolorSkyline))

((TechnicolorSkyline)) Supporting Member

I once got two pedals in one of those medium priority mail boxes with no packing material at all and the pedals were loose without thier boxes. Pedals were mint when he shipped and buy the time I got them they looked like they've been through a damn war. Good ol' Harmony Central in the old days, lol

5. Johnny Moondog

Johnny Moondog Member

Some of these ebay sellers are charging a substantial amount for the "shipping" costs.
    many times I can clearly see (by the postal label) that they charged me a lot more for the shipping than it actually cost them.

If that is the case - spring for a little bubble wrap :)

Of all the things I have ordered - only once did a guy voluntarily refund me some of the shipping fee, when it turned out to be less than he had quoted.
    The guy sells under "dtownguitars".

6. CaptainAwesome

CaptainAwesome Supporting Member

I bought a pedal from a known builder on the forum and it was shipped in just the 3" by 4" pedal box, with 1/8" of corrugate and a single layer of paw-print tissue paper as "padding". It arrived in good shape, but I figured for $200 they could at least double-box it.

7. superslidetail

superslidetail Supporting Member

Yes, but if its any consolation at least you can dock them stars in the Detailed Seller Ratings.

8. niassist

niassist Garage Rock Star Supporting Member

Hell, Strymon doesn't use any sort of bubble wrap. Every pedal I've purchased directly from them has came in it's original box that's just been put in a slightly bigger box. Doesn't really bother me that much. I've never had an issue as long as the pedal was in a box securely. Prymaxe typically just puts the pedal and it's original box in a Priority envelope and sends them out. Again, never had any issues.

9. nad

nad Member

[​IMG]

The pedal was fine, I mean they are designed to be stepped on, but this was pretty ridiculous.

10. olejason

olejason Supporting Member

Received a $200 fuzz with lots of knobs and switches stuffed in a thin paper FedEx envelope. I wasn't pleased but the pedal was fine.

11. Johnny Moondog

Johnny Moondog Member

Yep - that's the kind of stuff I am talking about .

But I have also ordered pedals from shop.ca (here in Canada) that were the opposite of that.

Picture an EHX Nano box, buried in a much larger box full of enough packing peanuts to fill half a bathtub.
    It's like digging in the bottom a cereal box for the prize.

But better over-packed than under-packed :)

12. Guitarmiester

Guitarmiester Member

Once had a pedal shipped in a PopTart box (the 12 pack, not the 8 pack) with one crumbled ball of a Target flyer. I'm still not sure if I'm more amazed that an envelope didn't tear through the thin box or that the pedal didn't bust through the single strand of masking tape holding the top of the box shut. He could have at least left a PopTart in there for some added stuffing, aside from the Target flyer.

13. valcoholic57

valcoholic57 Member

I tend to overpack. I just sent a carbon copy to someone here on TGP. I wrapped it in bubble wrap and filled the box with packing peanuts so it couldn't move around. Better safe than sorry.

I have received them in nothing but an envelope before, while it worked, I wouldn't trust it if I was the seller.

14. Johnny Moondog

Johnny Moondog Member

"He could have at least left a PopTart in there for some added stuffing, aside from the Target flyer."

:D

15. Rango

Rango Supporting Member

I've gotten a couple in the padded envelops lately, freaked me out at first but they were in good shape. It's quite a bit cheaper than the flat rate box.
    ;)

16. maydaynyc

maydaynyc Supporting Member

been lucky so far, everyone I've purchased from did an excellent job packing, and I do the same when someone buys from me.

17. ChampReverb

ChampReverb Silver Supporting Member

I received a pedal from a member here that was just shipped in the original pedal box with a label affixed. There was no outer mailing box or padding or envelope.

To top it off, the pedal box was just pushed closed but not taped shut.

This was someone with a lot of posts who was selling off quite a few good quality boutique pedals.

Maybe there was a packing tape shortage in his neck of the woods.

Luckily the pedal survived just fine and showed no sign of wear and tear.

-bEn r.

18. hacinador

hacinador Member

Once some idiot from the UK sent an old digitech whammy packed in lunch paper (1 layer). It did not work of course...

19. guitarburger

guitarburger Member

I, unfortunately, sent a couple of pedals like this. Quickly learned my lesson, after a single complaint. And yes, I am a grown man.

Box the pedals people.

20. WolfmansBrother

WolfmansBrother Supporting Member

Just recently I received a box looking like this with a bit more bubble wrap and two unboxed Skreddys in it.