Worst Studio Gear That You’ve Owned?

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by TravisE, Feb 3, 2020.

1. Crowder

Crowder Dang Twangler Silver Supporting Member

The first interface I bought was the cheapest PreSonus 2-channel I could find. I don't know if it was the pre's or the converters, but everything I tried to record on it sounded as flat as a piece of paper.

jmoose likes this.
  2. jmoose

jmoose Member

I remember both those systems and debated getting a Powercore but never did.

Big lesson here, and repeated through the thread is that digital stuff, at least computer gear NEVER holds its value. It has value if you keep a system forever... if you wanted to stay on Win7 and keep running it but end of the day its all techno garbage.

On the flip side analog gear, at least the good stuff retains its value and can be used regardless of computer OS updates.

All those years ago after getting the refund on those Dan Alexander Neve's I got a pair of Daking 52270 pre/EQ's as replacements. The guy was selling them to finance upgrades to his slow tools rig... which at that time would've been v4 or 5? That upgrade has been worth nothing for years while the Dakings are still worth a few grand and rocking through multiple DAW revisions.

My only regret is that I didn't have enough money to buy all 4!

TravisE and Badtone like this.
  3. tucsonsound

tucsonsound Member

Vesta Fire dual gate - Reading though these posts is like reading a list of dream gear for an early Vesta Fire owner. With the threshold cranked to as sensitive as possible, if you absolutely hammered the input, you might get the gate to open. Sold it to a guitarist for $50 with an obscenely noisy half stack, stuck it in his fx loop while recording and he thought it was magic. Bonus, he got to balance a piece of rack gear on his amp like one of the cool kids.

Biamp 1621 mixer - Guess it wasn't actually a studio mixer, but that didn't stop me from recording bands when I wasn't mixing on it in the club. I guess the preamps were pretty noisy but it was hard to tell because the EQ was so noisy, but that paled in comparison to the built-in spring reverb, which was basically a white noise tank.

Technics DA-10 R-DAT - It looked just like the industry standard Panasonic SV-3700 in a home stereo finish, surely it must sound the same? Wait, why does every transient sound like somebody is making popcorn? I'm going to take a terrible loss on this and have to buy the thing it sort of resembled in the first place aren't I?

Badtone likes this.
  4. TalismanRich

TalismanRich Member

Haven't had a lot of bad recording gear. I bought a Dokorder 8140 deck, but never really got into recording with it. The MultiSync recording sounded weak to me, which made overdubbing tough. I ended up using it in my stereo system rather than recording.

Not for recording, but I bought a Mackie 1400I amp for PA system use, which seemed ok, but then one channel went out. Took it to the repair shop, got it back and a few months later, it died again. Replaced it with an QSC RMX1450 which is still running like a champ many years later.

5. zekmoe

zekmoe Member

He was actually right. While not built bad for the price, many people struggled to get a real pro sound from that combo.

jmoose likes this.
  6. Teal_66

Teal_66 Member

JBL 305 monitors. Never in my life have I hated anything more.
    They lack volume, sound like plastic (to me), and for some unknown reason, I just hate them. I hate everything about them. Whether or not they are good (they aren't), it wouldn't matter - mentally, I know they are crap, and 'cause of that, I feel way less inspired to record or mix as long as they stare at me. Towering at the top on my 'must-do' list is replacing these monitors.

jmoose and Bob Maximus like this.
  7. ToneDeVille

ToneDeVille Member

Yamaha NS10 monitors.
    I ended up throwing the pair in the dumpster.

8. Bob Maximus

Bob Maximus Silver Supporting Member

sitting here staring at a pair (I use for backup) and thinking along the same lines. I bought them because of a sale and lots'a good reviews (must have all been bedroom recording engineers). They really are pretty accurate, though definitely under-powered. I'll continue to use them as a cheap alternate reference for mixes for comparison with my Yorkvilles.

9. Losrack

Losrack Member

Never have bought any behringer stuff thank god, and the only
    Thing I really hated was a park guitar amp. It was for practicing but it was ugly sounding as hell. Thank god my following amp purchase was a Plexi ... this was a long time ago !