Worst Tube Amp You've Owned

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by dmhi11, Jun 25, 2015.

1. evildik

evildik Member

I'm thinking there may have been something wrong with it, but I'm going to have to go with the HRD I owned for about a month recently. The clean was OK, but not as good as I expected. I couldn't get it to sound good with a dirt box to save my life. I tried a tubescreamer clone, a RAT, and even a Friedman BE-OD. Every one of them sounded distant for lack of a better word. Almost like holding a telephone about a foot from your ear. Very strange considering their reputation for being a great pedal platform.

2. trwigg

trwigg Gold Supporting Member

Not at all, I bought the amp as brand new, he wants to say it was broken in shipment but there was no damage to the amp or packaging material when I received it. It is the worst sounding tube amp I have ever owned, that is the thread.

3. Abram4235

Abram4235 Supporting Member

LOL came here to mention the Blackstar HT Club 40. Great amp if you want to be buried in the mix. Funny that your worst is a Blackstar too.

4. AtlMusicMan86

AtlMusicMan86 Silver Supporting Member

Orange OR-15. The cleans were dull and the drive was no good.

5. slap dat

slap dat Member

Mesa Nomad 45. For some crazy reason I stuck with it for three years. I bought it seeking that classic Boogie drive tone, which it didn't have. I ended up using OD pedals. It was also unreliable. I hated that amp.

6. Nolatone Ampworks

Nolatone Ampworks Member

You have misunderstood me. I said something went wrong post QA, meaning a problem emerged after I'd finished testing and released it to be shipped. Things can and do go wrong on occasion and it's not always due to mishandling or physical damage in shipping. It's the nature of electronics. One can extensively test a product, but once it's boxed up and arrives at its destination, after unboxing it and powering it on, there's a problem. It's rare, but unfortunately it can happen. It HAS happened on a couple of occasions out of the several hundred amps I've shipped (yours was one of them), and I always do what I can to make it right.

In your case you returned it to Fat Sound, which is reasonable. But making this statement based on an amp that was found to be not up to par is not. I don't believe that is the intention of this thread.

7. Skeet skeet!

Skeet skeet! Member

Traynor YCV40. Only got up to band volumes about 6-7 times and i hated the gain sound I had with it every time. Sounded like the amp was fixing to explode.

8. Mtnbkr123

Mtnbkr123 Member

Mine did explode. 3 separate times. On each occasion I had an old school, pyrotechnics rock concert happen in my living room. Good times. Good riddance.

9. Benfoust

Benfoust Member

Man, what was wrong the amp? The first Nolatone I heard was the 22Tango and it was great sounding (Actually, here is a clip that was recorded of the 22Tango I played...a few hours before Nicky got therehttps://youtu.be/Vy2MOVUXOZU ). I went over to Paul's shop to check out some of his amps. The 22Tango was not my flavor, but I was smitten with the Superbug, which has been phased out since then. It has been a long fun road with a few of his amps since then.

I started with the Superbug. I loved that amp. Then, I did his prototype program with the Blacktooth (a little too "Rock" for me). However, the Blacktooth turned into his Wicked Garden amp, which is one of the best amps I've ever owned. And now I have the Melvin Jr. (A 12-watt Plexi BEAST). I haven't had any issues with any of the Nolatones I've had. And Paul was awesome and easy to deal with (way better than dealing with a rep from Boogie, Orange, etc.!!!).

Nolatones aren't the only amps I've owned or currently have. I have a taste for many different amps (68' Fender Bassman, Budda SuperDrive 80 and 30, Marshall JCM800 2204, Morgan AC20, Orange Rocker 30, amongst many others). I can't really say any of them were horrible sounding, which is very subjective...to each their own.

Now, I can say that I bought a brand new Traynor YCV40 and it sounded horrible straight out of the box. I could tell that something was wrong with it, so I sent it back and they sent me a new one and it sounded great. On the other hand, I had a Dual Rec that sounded great at first but continually went down hill from there. I took it to a couple shops who couldn't find the problem. I just disclosed The issues and sold it "as is" and got rid of it. But once again, the amp itself didn't sound horrible...there was an issue with the amp.

With all that said, if you just talked to Paul he would fix it and make it right for you...just as most of the boutique builders probably would. They are builders because they love what they do and pay attention to detail (unlike most of the mass makers). They would never let an amp or guitar leave their shop with an issue. Sometimes we just get a little impatient (I know I'm one of the worst with that!) and blow things out of proportion. If you are ever near Atlanta, I'd love to talk shop and let you play through some of my Nolatones (or any of my others) so that you can get a more accurate representation of Nolatone Amps. I know you may have had a bad one, but I assure you...they are pretty dang good amps by anyone's standards.

~Ben~

10. Mobass

Mobass Silver Supporting Member

Many folks love the Fender Music Master Bass amp. I had a mid 70's 6v6 version. Even after a Weber speaker swap I couldn't bond with it. Dull and hollow sounding to me.

11. jazzwannabe

jazzwannabe Silver Supporting Member

Been through a bunch that failed to make me happy, but the worst was a 70s Twin Reverb with a master volume. I can't think of a word to describe how ****** that thing was.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2016
  12. Ramblin Hymns

Ramblin Hymns Member

Paul makes great amps and is very meticulous with his work. I own a CL-15 with a blue and gold celestian speakers in it. It is great sounding and I would put it up against any Vox clone amps out there. The only problem with the amp is the weight. That is to be expected out of an amp built like it is. I have been to his house myself and all the amps sounded great. I would love to own his super bug he has now. I just need some money. I also own 4 Red Plate's, Dr. Z's, Supro's and Fenders. So I have experience with other amps.

13. shakeshakeshake

shakeshakeshake Member

Marshall JCM900 Hi Gain Dual Reverb combo.

Everytime I read comments about this amp they go "everyone ***** on the JCM900, it wasn't that bad!" and I think...no...it was that bad.

The clean channel was kinda interesting, very punchy, warm jazzy kind of sound, lead channel was turbo turd.

Benfoust likes this.
  14. Sampler

Sampler Silver Supporting Member

A Roland Bolt 60..it was beyond bad, especially with the overdrive on.

15. jetydosa

jetydosa Silver Supporting Member

What!? You must have played a lemon!? The Tango22 is one of the BEST amps Ive ever heard. Fantastic sounding amp.

Worst amp Ive ever played would probably be a JCM900 combo at GC, it was as flat and sterile as 4 week old stale potato chips (and a cheap brand chip at that - not even Lays).

I also played a Fender Supersonic that was so bright, even on the neck pup on a LP with the tone rolled down it made my teeth fillings hurt.

16. theroan

theroan Member

Vox CC2X. Built like a crap, maybe I'm just a Fender guy because I couldn't get a good sound out of it.

17. ZeyerGTR

ZeyerGTR Member

Marshall Valvestate head - I sold my jcm 800 and regretted it shortly thereafter, so I bought this cheap thinking it would be an adequate substitute.

18. ledzep618

ledzep618 Member

Mesa Rectoverb 25 combo. Which was so weird because the head sounds so good through an extension cab and I have loved almost every Mesa I've ever tried. The ROV25 combo is just a stinker though, sounds so lifeless and nasally. Not a good tone in the box.

19. filtersweep

filtersweep Member

Who knows how something like could have been modded. A buddy butchered his (in my opinion). I'm talking radical mods, like trying to make it more Marshallesque in the 80s- when these were old enough to be cheap, and young enough to be plentiful.

20. rocnrik

rocnrik Member

Mesa boogie mk iv combo...whew..I ended up on a gig with it and after 1 set of knob fiddling i sold it between sets at a club for 1/2 what i paid for it ..ended up playing the rest of night with a peavey special 130 and it sounded great!!

musicman1 likes this.