Worst Univibe?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Auditory Driving, Jan 28, 2018.

1. Truce11

Truce11 Member

Posting because sometimes multifx can be mediocre.

Lately the univibe examples from Helix and Boss Katana/GT has that assymetric wave i prefer. Anyone have any experience on those?

On topic: I get routinely disappointed by univibes that are simple sine wave phasers. Perhaps thats what a real univibe sounds like but i know i favor assymetrical throbs that give “phasey movement” to clean tones while keeping the fundamental tone & strong throbs a la Hendrix/Trower with fuzz/higher volume. Surprisingly i heard a guy have a great clean movement tone with Fulltone SupaTrem.

Hendrix is the standard I seek in a univibe. Micro Vibe lacked mojo; Cool Cat Vibe had that delay when engaged and not quite got the assymetric throb.

I guess ill have to pay $200+ to get the tone in my head ‍♂️. Id prefer not to pay lot for DryBell/Jam/etc but you get what you pay for I guess

2. bettset

bettset Member

someone like a hendrix, gilmour.......name your favorites.......they probably could make any one of these pedals work for them. i've been thru plenty too. i've stuck with the mjm. maybe not always in a live setting, but in a studio it's amazing what you can do sometimes with a pedal that would be junk to others :munch

3. John_N

John_N Member

You can turn the intensity down on the Good Vibes to make it more subtle, but it doesn't have the same "throb" has a Deja Vibe.
    Years ago when I was first getting into Hendrix's music I used an old phase shifter, since I had no idea what a Uni-Vibe was.

Auditory Driving likes this.
  4. zimlen

zimlen Member

My fuzz factory is terrible at replicating this tone. Take it from someone who has spent countless hours trying.

5. captaincoconut

captaincoconut Member

That's why they make my list. Don't call it a vibe, if it's not.

6. dogma_style

dogma_style Member

The few that I've tried were a Dunlop Univibe (the silver one with the expression pedal), and a Danelectro Cool Cat. I also had a DOD VibroThang, which never really got as deep or as resonant as I wanted.

The Dunlop was nice and chewy and thick..I'd be happy with that. The Dan-O I have has been modded with a pot to reduce the volume boost or add even more. The effected sound also comes on instantly now. But something's not right with it..it seems that the LFO wave is "saw down" as opposed to triangle or sine, which I would prefer. Kinda makes the sweep not so smooth.

There is a vibe in the Zoom MS70 CDR, but apart from being (obviously) digital, I hate that I have to place it after my drives.

Oh, I did enjoy that DOD Phasor 490 I stupidly sold off..nice and chewy..could do a fair approximation of that Shine On 4-note motif for a phaser..

7. bxlxaxkxe

bxlxaxkxe Supporting Member

I like the vibe in the Helix for what it is. It's quite fun.

Truce11 likes this.
  8. don550

don550 Supporting Member

I have a Good Vibes on one of my pedalboards and it's actually pretty good.. But I found that if I didn't use the EHX adapter it would under power at times and the Vibe would be really weak.. So I replaced it with a Digitech Ventura Vibe where the power is consistent

9. IRG

IRG Member

This applies to the Fulltone CS MDV-1 too, the supplied adapter is 18v at 500mA. Most power supplies that give you an 18v output have somewhere between 100mA - 200mA. Now it will still work with this, but it doesn't sound as good, as having the full power of the supplied adapter. I wish there was a way around that - any power supplies out there that has a 300-500mA output at 18v? My Trutone CS12 doesn't, and I can hear the difference.

10. exodus

exodus Member

I'm not sure it ranks as the "worst," but I remember being really disappointed in the Korg NuVibe. It was a fairly pricey unit that seemed like it had all the bells and whistles to pull off a good vintage tone. I thought it sounded lifeless and like a poor simulation of a univibe. (I came to learn that it does not use a lamp/photocell setup).

11. DonaldDemon

DonaldDemon Member

Have you pitted it against a real photocell vibe? I'm wondering how close it can get to my Mojo Vibe.

bxlxaxkxe likes this.
  12. bxlxaxkxe

bxlxaxkxe Supporting Member

Before I say this, let me be clear: I dig the Helix. It is a lot of fun and is incredibly useful. Running the Helix vibe into a Helix amp and IR sounds really cool. Running the Helix Vibe into a real amp? Terrible. I mean just not usable at all for me. Could be user error- only tried it on one occasion. I suspect all of that stuff was made to excel in the digital world, and it does. Running pedals into a Helix amp model works great too. But running Helix pedal sims into a real amp was a big disappointment for me. Not that big of a deal though, as I never intended for it to replace my pedals.

13. John_N

John_N Member

I unplug my Good Vibes when I'm not playing. If left plugged in it will fade, not sure how fast. Unplugging it for a little while fixes it.

14. DonaldDemon

DonaldDemon Member

Oh no! Well thanks for the honesty. I'm really looking to make an attempt to replace my huge pedalboard with a digital until and was hoping these effects would at least be passable to great with my amp. I was set on the FX8 but the HX Effects seems just as nice for less money. I think I'll just need to try it before ditching the whole board because it would be a nightmare to get rid of the board I spent so many years building and be completely disappointed with a digital replacement. I haven't delved into the modeling world since the POD days so I was hoping they have caught up or come pretty close to their analog equivalents.

15. oildrops

oildrops Member

I have a VL micro vibe and think it sounds really nice, and great when run into a silicon fuzz. I haven't played many, but listening to demos I can't really hear what I'm missing out on.

16. Auditory Driving

Auditory Driving Member

Out of curiosity, is it the led or non-led version? Have you adjusted the trimpot? (I d advise against it if you like the sound, those are very sensitive)

17. oildrops

oildrops Member

Non-led, I haven't messed with the trim pot at all in it. It's pretty chain sensitive, so I put it first in line.

18. Auditory Driving

Auditory Driving Member