Worst voiced tube amp you've played (longer than in a store)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Obsessive Tinkerer, Jan 29, 2020.

1. dantahoua

dantahoua Supporting Member

Soldano SLO 100 for me... Couldn't remove something fizzy in the treble even when dialing treble or mid very low. Not my cup of tea. Despite I loved the first channel in crunch mod.

2. m@2

m@2 Member

I had an 80's twin that was ice picks all day long and would not break up at all. Just clean glass shards in your ears all the way up the dial :confused:

ucnick likes this.
  3. CjRuckus

CjRuckus Member

Epiphone Valve Jr.
    Blackstar HT15
    Peavey Satch amp.

Those three amps never clicked with me. Tried my best with each of them.

4. TravisE

TravisE Supporting Member

I had a Rivera Knucklehead back when I was playing heavier music. The clean and overdrive channels were both pretty okay but they shared an eq and there was no way to set the eq so that both of them sounded good when switching from one to the other.

Another time, I was using a friend’s Matchless Lightning 2x10 and loved it. I ended up getting a Buddy Twinmaster 2x10 in an attempt to get close to the Matchless. It wasn’t even close. The Buddha was stuffy, had no note separation - it was just a blanket of unpleasant sound.

5. Agramal

Agramal Member

I forgot my biggest disappointment - a VHT Pitbull Ultra-lead. Exactly as OP asked; there was just something about how the amp was voiced that did not jive with me or my friends. I was even playing it through a matching VHT cab (this was all back when VHT was Fryette). The gain was very "dry" and thin. Complete lack of balls and depth.

Salt Lake Bob likes this.
  6. Woowoo

Woowoo Member

I tried it, but it made little difference at higher volumes and the amp lost some of its nice cleans.
    At some point I realized that if I have to mod the hell out of it to make it usable, then perhaps this is not the amp for me. I moved on to a TRRI and never looked back.

7. Pill's_Ghost

Pill's_Ghost Member

The Peavy Bandit 112 65w SS blue stripe was my first non-practice amp. It did one thing very well... thrash metal. I loved it because I was 16 at the time and loved thrash metal. Strangely enough it had an actual reverb tank in it. It was also stupid heavy for 112 combo amp. Ah memories.

ucnick, draelyc and bobcs71 like this.
  8. Jeronimo

Jeronimo Member

I've got a JTM60 2x12, bought it new in the 90's. Maybe I've got bad taste but as long as I don't dial in too much gain I think the drive channel is not too bad dor playing at home. But I do agree that dirt pedal into the clean channel can get better results.
    The amp does not get a lot of play time since I have a Mesa mkV90....

9. Bentayuk

Bentayuk Supporting Member

My quickest turn around was a Bad Cat Cougar 50. I got one on clearance and the voicing was just not what I was expecting. It was some where between a Vox and a Marshall, but could get as heavy as a 5150. It was just bizarre. In another setting I might have loved it, but not then.

Then there was my recent Friedman PT20 purchase. I loved the DSM, and thought the PT20 would be the perfect amp, but I could not get along with it at all. Should have kept that DSM!

10. mrface2112

mrface2112 Member

Fender Blues Junior. Never got a decent tone out of one. Never understood that amp, really. Just brittle and blah.

StratMatt77 likes this.
  11. Don A

Don A Silver Supporting Member

Cabinets make a huge difference! I didn't know enough to try a different cab back then, but I do now. I have a Soldano Astroverb and it's overly thin sounding by itself, but it sounds great through my oversize Avatar 2x12" cab with a Greenback and V30 in it.

Unfortunately, that cab takes away the portability that I bought the amp for!

12. Don A

Don A Silver Supporting Member

I had a DC-3 for a short while. There are a couple of components to remove or change that help these amps sound much better, though they're still not good for an edge of breakup player.

bobcs71 likes this.
  13. d'djembe mutombo

d'djembe mutombo Member

I laughed at this for sure. Totally forgot about the valve JR. Talk about ass amp central. Then again, what do you expect from a $99 mini tube amp. Legit was just a marketing ploy to sell amps.

Anyway, here's my list...
    Fender HRD: Try mixing one of these on an album and get back to me. OD just sounds like loose ass all the time. Mids in all the wrong places, no appropriate high frequencies either to make it cut properly.

Marshall TSL & JVM: Both are just bland sounding in every aspect. TSL was also very thin sounding for some reason. Why give your money to marshall when there are better sounding amps at the same price range.

Sovtek MIG: Sounds like someone is brick walling the mids on an 800 with a compressor. I guess it was a good cheap option back in the day, but now they aren't that much cheaper than an 800.

14. middy

middy Member

In this thread: Fender Twins, Vox AC30s, JCM 800

LMAO! I love you, TGP. Never change!

15. CanserDYI

CanserDYI Member

Don't get me drooling man I'm waiting on money to hit the bank so I can call an MKV mine....

Does master volume work well for you? I've heard good things and want confirmation bias, please. lol

16. jman

jman Supporting Member

Prob a Crate head and cab (the model that looked pretty much like a Dual Rec)-it was backline at a gig in LA,i may have been able to make it sound better if there was more time to mess with it some...just torture.

-on the other hand, the regular ol' Fender HRD usually provided at those type of gigs (in any of the speaker configs) always seems to sound just fine.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2020
  17. bobcs71

bobcs71 Member

I had one the first year they came out. I loved it at home. Then I brought it to play with a full band (horn section & all). It never sat well in the mix clean or dirty and I just didn't know why.

Johnny Ninefingers likes this.
  18. Peteyvee

Peteyvee Premium Platinum Member

My 1965 Twin Reverb. I hated that amp. The more you turned it up the cleaner it got until it was ear piercing. It sounded OK with my original 1979 Boss OD-1 or our other guitar players TS-808, but not great.

Another one was my Musicman HD-130. Although not technically a tube amp (solid state preamp) it had 4 x 6CA7s in it, so it was plenty loud.

It was so loud that our keyboard player used to call it the "Eric Clapton Ear Splitter Model" and jokingly ask me what side of the stage I was setting up on so he could set up on the other side. We were in bands for a decade by then and he knew where I always set up...right next to him. :D Could never get a good tone out of that thing and I tried for a year...

ucnick likes this.
  19. Salt Lake Bob

Salt Lake Bob Member

No one seems to believe it but the kind of wood and the size of the cab makes a big difference in the sound. Solid wood or good ply sounds 100% better than that crappy particle board stuff they use on some of the amps here.... wonder if a better cab could fix most of the problems mentioned here?

uab9253 and Thumpalumpacus like this.
  20. Salt Lake Bob

Salt Lake Bob Member

My old boss would never stock those cabs; he said VHT had a falling out with Celestion and went to Eminence(i think? when they weren't that good(90-00?)). The first gen was good, just like a Marshall cab, but after the speaker brand change he said it didn't sound good and told our customers to stick to the 1960's or stuff like that. My boss ended up swapping those new speakers for V30 on more than one occasion when a customer did order a VHT cab if memory serves me...

Last edited: Jan 30, 2020