Worth asking? Who is the most "loved/respected" guitarist's guitarist?

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by WordMan, Jun 12, 2019.

1. rawkguitarist

rawkguitarist Member

Man... there are too many to list.

Paul Gilbert
    Bill Frisell
    Brad Paisley
    Eric Johnson
    Pat Metheny
    Dan Phelps
    Jimi Hendrix
    John Scofield
    Prince
    Nuno Bettencourt

To name a few off the top of my head in about 20 seconds...

Last edited: Jun 13, 2019
  2. Funky54

Funky54 Member

I love everyone mentioned. I sound like Corky with a ukulele plugged into a chainsaw, but I still have favorites that I wish I could sound like or emulate to some degree.

Pixies2005 likes this.
  3. leftygeetar

leftygeetar Member

EVH, Johnny Marr, Joe Pass

Pixies2005 likes this.
  4. USMarine75

USMarine75 Member

Is it just me or are a lot of people missing the point?

Shawn Lane
    Allan Holdsworth
    Guthrie Govan
    Rick Graham
    Martin Miller
    Pat Metheney
    Tom Quayle
    Greg Koch
    Andy Timmons
    Danny Gatton
    Roy Buchanan

Most of them aren't that known to the regular music community. You always get the "of course" answer when you talk about EVH, Gilmour, Clapton, Rhodes, etc.

My interpretation of what a guitarist's guitarist means is - These are the guys that a guitarist gets all reverent about when you don't know who they are, and has to pull up on youtube to blow your mind. A lot of them don't write great songs per se, but their playing is incomparable. I think that's why you'll often hear "he's talented but I just don't get it" or "I don't like his music". That's kind of part of the whole eclectic shtick of being a "guitarist's guitarist" IMO. If you're EVH, Rhodes, Hendrix, Gilmour etc, you're not a "guitarist's guitarist"... you're quite the opposite - you're a famous amazing guitarist universally admired.

FuzzyAce, WordMan and mildew like this.
  5. Yer Blues

Yer Blues Member

For rock probably Jeff Beck and Hendrix.

6. ivers

ivers Member

He came to meet and shake the hands of us fans after the 1986 Iron Maiden gig in Norway were WASP was supposed to be support band, but were denied by the authorities in the concert town. Afterwards the media headlines said stuff like «Bloodbath avoided», and WASP were called «The world's worst violence–band». But Chris seemed like a nice enough chap..at least he didn't unleash any of that hard rock band violence in my direction.

Coach T. likes this.
  7. beanbass

beanbass Member

I must add the dynamic duo of Marty Stuart and Kenny Vaughan.

mrpinter, GregoryL and BigPapiFan like this.
  8. Litterick

Litterick Member

9. blaster

blaster Member

10. JHand

JHand Member

Well ... I guess here's another way to think about it. I personally like Hendrix and Page way more than all those guitar players. Maybe Page is sloppier, but it just doesn't matter to me.

I'd also bet that a lot of guitar players out there also like Hendrix and Page way more than the players on your list. But they also get criticized a ton more, because prominent guitar players just attract more criticism. If Guthrie Govan was listed as one of the top 5 guitar players in a bunch of magazines and was touring with huge enotourages, he would get a ton of criticism too.

Try another thought experiment: let's say we were having this debate fifty years ago, right before Page joined the Yardbirds and before Led Zeppelin. At that point, wouldn't Page be one of the top 4-5 guitar players' guitar players? He was one of the best session guys. And he wasn't prominent enough with the general public to prompt guitar players to think he is overrated.

If Page was one of the top guitar players' guitar players before Led Zeppelin, why should that change just because he joined one of the most popular bands ever?

11. JPH118

JPH118 Member

Jeff Beck, in that he’s found commercial success repeatedly yet never rested on his laurels and always pushed the envelope of his own playing. To do that and retain a high level success in this business is just incredible.

The “Jimmy Page is sloppy” thing always cracks me up... you don’t go from playing some of his beautiful acoustic bits flawlessly and then just slop it up on electric by accident, without intention. You also don’t get to play on sessions with full bands/orchestras if you’re sloppy... you get fired. He’s sloppy because he chooses to be sloppy... I once saw him called the “Columbo“ of guitarists, and I dig that.

12. Old Guy

Old Guy Silver Supporting Member

Pete Thorn.

If you don't believe me, come hang out with us on his Live Streams on his YouTube channel on Sundays. Such an honest, humble guy. And wow can he play!

Greg Koch, as well. If you ever get to meet him and spend some time with him, you'll understand why.

FuzzyAce likes this.
  13. JHand

JHand Member

Also Paul Kossoff should definitely be on the list.

14. Blanket Jackson

Blanket Jackson ¿Qué Hiciste? Silver Supporting Member

That was my first thought as well

15. WordMan

WordMan Member

And when Bowie found Ronno, he exclaimed “I’ve found my Jeff Beck!”

The documentary on him, Beside Bowie, is really wonderful.

So glad this thread has played out well. Mostly really good discussion! Go TGP!

eigentone, Litterick and Sam Xavier like this.
  16. RayRay

RayRay Silver Supporting Member

Paul Gilbert

rawkguitarist likes this.
  17. Bluedano1

Bluedano1 Member

For broad appeal, I'd have to go with Jimi Hendrix

*and a personal fave of mine ( and many ) is Jerry Garcia:
    Not so much because of his specific guitar technique ( though I like it), so much as I look at Jerry as the guy who ( with his musical output and variety, not his words) gave me 'permission' to play and perform whatever the hell I want to!

18. JHand

JHand Member

I think the real way to answer this question would be to poll guitar players and ask who is their favorite. Some of the magazine lists of top guitar players basically do just that. And Hendrix, Page, Clapton, EVH, SRV, and similar players usually end up on top of those lists. To me that means they are the top "guitar player's guitar players."

The one caveat is those lists tend to focus primarily on rock guitar players. If you really want to focus on other styles, like jazz or classical, you would come up with a different list. And there's no way to really compare guitar players from different genres.

But setting that aside, I think you can say that Page, Hendrix, etc are the top guitar players' guitar players ... For rock.

eigentone likes this.
  19. Ubersooner

Ubersooner Member

Came here to post this. When I think player's player, I think of people like Holdsworth. Guys who aren't close to a household name unless your household is full of guitarists.

FuzzyAce likes this.
  20. guitarfly02

guitarfly02 Supporting Member

Andy Timmons for sure!

FuzzyAce and RayRay like this.