worth of an 83-83 '52 tele reissue

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by MOP76, Jun 29, 2008.

1. MOP76

MOP76 Member

Hey Guys (and girls). My friend has an 82 -83 '52 Tele Reissue in excellent condition and we were trying to figure out what it's worth. Prices seem all over the place. from $1000 to over $3000. Anyone here have any ideas what it's worth ? Would really appreciate any input.

2. MOP76

MOP76 Member

OOoops. should say 82 -83 Telecaster in the title.

3. MOP76

MOP76 Member

Thanks, RICKDICULOUS, but was hoping that someone here might have a good idea. I was at my local music store today to pick up a guitar stand and I asked the salesman. He checked and said from what he saw, about $1000.00 retail. I saw some place on the net where a dealer was sealing them for $4100.00. Like I said, they're all over the place in price.

4. MOP76

MOP76 Member

Good point. Don't have pictures, but it's butterscotch. excellent condition. It's hardly been played (he bought it new when he came to visit me in L.A. and he played it for a few months and put it aside). I had my guitar tech set it up last month. it's all original.

5. cmatthes

cmatthes Member

You'll need the serial off of the bridge plate as well as the neck date(s) to verify that one, but if it truly is an '82/'83, it would be worth WAY MORE than the lowball figure you got at the local shop.

They have been selling (not asking price, but selling price) in the $2,500-$3,500 range for 100% original with everything examples in the last year or so.

The guys at TDPRI could tell you for sure, I bet.

6. Polynitro

Polynitro Member

where?

7. MOP76

MOP76 Member

8. Polynitro

Polynitro Member

that's silly to pay that much...It's not even all original. I'd rather have a new 52Ri for almost $3000 less or a Nocaster for over $1000 less...good for your friend though! Sell it and buy a Nocaster or a 52ri and a twin reverb.

9. MOP76

MOP76 Member

I thought that was pretty high, too, but I also thought that a thousand was way too low.I saw an original standard 82 Tele at one store in excellent condition going for $1400.00, and that was one of Fenders darkest years for both the tele and strat.

10. MOP76

MOP76 Member

There is no serial # on the bridge plate. Just says Fender PAT. PENDING 44xxx (at work. Don't have the guitar nearby and didn't write it down).

So, are we figuring between $2500 - $3500 ? Thanks guys for the input.

BTW, it plays great. I love the 7.25" neck radius and the U-shaped neck. Never played a vintage neck with tiny frets. I found it really easy. I'm use to 9 1/2" - 12". Medium jumbo to jumbo frets. Chording was really easy and lead wasn't a problem. Maybe I'm just not good enough to know better.

11. drolling

drolling Member

Hey, I"ve got an'82 52RI (May 6th, according to the paperwork) that doesn't sound much like what you're describing - First off, those early reissues (Fender USA kicked the bucket shortly afer these guitars came out, and was revived by former employees in '84 IIRC) had really, really skinny necks - a *shredder* profile, and far from the clubby necks on current RIs. And tho' I'm not n the studio right now, I'm pretty sure there's a serial # on the bridge plate (neck plate is blank) as well as a little dimple in the center to identify it as non-original.

When I got mine, (used) the circuit had already been 'modernized' but whoever did the work left the nice brass saddles in place - The provided 6-saddle bridge and whatever caps/resistors left over from the conversion were long gone.

Plenty of ugly greenish mineral stains on the swamp ash body, too - but she's a player.. rolled fretboard edges & light as a feather. Stock pickups are great, too!

I played the super SKINNY tall/narrow 'vintage' frets right down to the wood & refretted w/medium-jumbos - The guy who did the work also planed down the round vintage radius to a very comfortable 'compound' that flattens out as you move up the neck. Nice to be able to finally play in tune above the first position!

So, I guess mine's been modded into worthlessness, but it plays soooo much better now; no fretting out on big bends, etc..

Oh yeah, I also wrecked it further by swapping out the stock saddles for Glendale compensated saddles (brass, steel & !!!!aluminum!!!)..

And then I realllly bugggerd it up by changing the tone pot to a 1MEG, so I can do that train whistle/wah-wah trick that no self-respecting tele player can resist squeezing into EVERY tune!

I just love this guitar!!

*******EDIT******* I still wish the neck was a little fatter, but, hey, nothing's perfect.. BTW I paid 800 Kanuk bucks in the '80s when they were worth about 60 cents US.

12. A-Bone

A-Bone Montonero, MOY, Multitudes Gold Supporting Member

It is critical to determine whether it is an '82 or '83, because '82 was made in the USA, while all subsequent years were not. The Vintage Guitar Magazine Price Guide for 2008 has the '82 in excellent condition for selling between $1,100 and $2,200. The '83 is listed as between $950 and $1,200 in the same condition.

13. guitarmook

guitarmook Member

The history is kinda spotty with these (I have an april '83 version). They were generally not issued with certificates, or any other 'custom-shop' papers. The very early ones were sent with 2 bridges, one 3-saddle brass with a serial # stamped between the saddles and the pickup, and a 6-saddle steel. Sometime around 83 or so Fender realized the bridges were being used to counterfiet old guitars, and added the dimple to the serial number.

There should be a date written (in pencil) on the neck (that's where mine is).

If you don't have the original brass saddles bridge, you won't be able to get top dollar, but you might still be able to get close to $2K, especially if you've got a good picture of the neck date, and no other damage or modifications.

And yes, the very early one's are selling at $2500 and up.

14. MOP76

MOP76 Member

From what your describing, your right. Yours doesn't sound anything like my friends, LOL. Next time He needs a setup, I'll have my guitar tech write down the number when he pulls off the neck. I haven't played a recent reissue so I can't compare the neck thickness to the current ones. The shape is a "u" but I wouldn't call it a real thick neck. I have small hands and it fits mine perfectly.

As I said, the only thing the bridge plate has is patent pending, then the # underneath. Maybe that number is the serial #. As I mentioned, I think from memory (I'll have to check it out tonight, it's five or six digits and starts with 4 or 44. Maybe it's an '84. I could've sworn they were fairly new when he got it.

15. MOP76

MOP76 Member

Guitarmook. the saddles are original 3 saddle. I'll check to see if I see a serial # between the saddles. The saddles, though brass, have a different look to them. Almost a reddish color (again, I'll check them when I go home tonight).

A-Bone. I saw the worth of it in the guitar blue book at Barnes & Noble and it was exactly what you said guitar Vintage magazine had it at. That go me real curious because I thought it would be worth more due to it's age and condition. As I mentioned about the worth of that standard '82 tele of I think the "Smith Era" at $1400.00 without a string through body (again, CBS, Smith Era cost cutting).

16. MOP76

MOP76 Member

Duh, that number below the patent pending is the serial #. The serial # is 4456. Does that mean it's an '84 (I know for the exact date I'll have to pull the neck but don't really want to until it needs another setup) ?

Does anyone know if those serial #'s are coded as to date, model , run, etc. ?

17. GregoryL

GregoryL Supporting Member

I recently used the Fender Forum to date an 86 MIJ tele I subsequently bought.

Good resource for dating via serial numbers.

18. openbar

openbar Silver Supporting Member

19. Goldstrat

Goldstrat Member

I sold mine about a year ago for $1400.

20. MOP76

MOP76 Member

Not unless Dallas succeeded fro the Union and became a Northern territory of Australia.